Why do we....

It's about the quest for perfection! I am a BBQ novice, but I make some pretty good stuff. Then I look on here at the amazing stuff you all turn out and I see how much better it can be.

I love cooking, but the two things that intrigue me most right now are smoking meat and baking bread. Both take time and patience, and both are as much art as science.

And by the way, sometimes I use a slow cooker...

I'm not going to argue that making quiche on a BGE is BBQ. It isn't. It is baking on a BGE, which can also be used to make BBQ. That said, I do like me a good quiche. It may not be BBQ, but save me a slice.

But, when it comes to making real BBQ, it is easy to get all wrapped up in trying to "do it right," when doing it right, IMO, is very simply, making it taste good.

Some people foil, some don't. Some people mop, some don't. Some people sauce, some don't. I've eaten a lot of good Q, cooked a lot of different ways. It either tastes good, or it doesn't, and what tastes good to me, may not taste good to the next guy. Like it or not, what tastes good is subjective.

I can't see myself doing BBQ competitions, based on what I've read in the Competition forum. There would be too many farkers "shoulding" on me. My "art major" turn in box would probably get me disqualified, and my "pull the corncob out of your a**" response would probably get me banned from future competitions. I'd rather win a People's Choice than a Grand Champion, and most competitive BBQ cooks don't want to "waste their time" on the rif-raf that come to competitions wanting to taste good Q. Those people are annoying.

IMO, if you really care about BBQ, learn the basics, and then make your BBQ your own. Reach higher, kick it up a notch, play with your food. Fark the rules, aim for ohmigod moments. My goal, whenever and whatever I cook, is to make really good food, whether or not I did it the way it "should" be done.

CD

argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something? To me, if the end product tastes good and doesn't give me tomaine poisoning; I could care less if it was cooked at 150* or 700*, cooked nekkid or wrapped in foil, paper, birch bark, saran wrap, handmade papyrus or kevlar; cooked in a stickburner, kamado, UDS, on a propane grill, in a crockpot, on a stick over a campfire, or a smoker made out of an old portajon; rubbed, sauced, salted, or marinated. I expect food to taste good. That's all. Good food is good food, and there are many means to a successful end.

Discuss. :)

I agree that it doesn't matter what methods are used if it means great food. But I am seriously concerned about temperatures, times, volumes etc as one should be able to reproduce the process. And one should be able to provide sufficient info so others can produce the same quality great food. Nothing is more frustrating than to follow a recipe and fail because of wrong info.

Well I hope you know that this is wrong. All drums or other smokers must face South...since that were BBQ started!

Yeah, but I'm already in the south, so I face mine east toward eastern NC, where real bbq started. But not too far east. The actual authentic bbq only originated in the western Piedmont of NC. :biggrin1:

For the same reason there's two main camps of sauces in the Carolina's and the ones who make the OTHER sauce are loco. ;)

There's only one camp of sauce here in NC. There are those other people down on the coast who just pour a bottle of straight vinegar over a pig, but I wouldn't really call that a sauce, per se. :laugh:

I'm not going to argue that making quiche on a BGE is BBQ. It isn't. It is baking on a BGE, which can also be used to make BBQ. That said, I do like me a good quiche. It may not be BBQ, but save me a slice.

But, when it comes to making real BBQ, it is easy to get all wrapped up in trying to "do it right," when doing it right, IMO, is very simply, making it taste good.

Some people foil, some don't. Some people mop, some don't. Some people sauce, some don't. I've eaten a lot of good Q, cooked a lot of different ways. It either tastes good, or it doesn't, and what tastes good to me, may not taste good to the next guy. Like it or not, what tastes good is subjective.

I can't see myself doing BBQ competitions, based on what I've read in the Competition forum. There would be too many farkers "shoulding" on me. My "art major" turn in box would probably get me disqualified, and my "pull the corncob out of your a**" response would probably get me banned from future competitions. I'd rather win a People's Choice than a Grand Champion, and most competitive BBQ cooks don't want to "waste their time" on the rif-raf that come to competitions wanting to taste good Q. Those people are annoying.

IMO, if you really care about BBQ, learn the basics, and then make your BBQ your own. Reach higher, kick it up a notch, play with your food. Fark the rules, aim for ohmigod moments. My goal, whenever and whatever I cook, is to make really good food, whether or not I did it the way it "should" be done.

CD

Yep, I agree. Even if you are from Texas where they cook pieces of cows wrapped in paper and call it "bbq." :boink: :biggrin1:

I just find it funny that everybody is always looking for the "magic bullet," that one obscure detail that will give you perfect bbq. I think that simple is often better, and that what works for me to make killer q might not work for you, or vice versa. You can make good bbq on any cooker within reason, using any method within reason. It just comes down to what method works for you. And if your food tastes good, I ain't worried about how you cooked it.

argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something? To me, if the end product tastes good and doesn't give me tomaine poisoning; I could care less if it was cooked at 150* or 700*, cooked nekkid or wrapped in foil, paper, birch bark, saran wrap, handmade papyrus or kevlar; cooked in a stickburner, kamado, UDS, on a propane grill, in a crockpot, on a stick over a campfire, or a smoker made out of an old portajon; rubbed, sauced, salted, or marinated. I expect food to taste good. That's all. Good food is good food, and there are many means to a successful end.

Discuss. :)
Because we are like a big family, and family never agrees on anything when together. We may never agree on anything, but at the end of the day, we are still family.

Interesting thread for sure. I'm fairly new around here, but have come across some threads that did become quite passionate to say the least, "Pit barrel cooker" comes to mind first, but there were a couple others.
As I read through some of these I have wondered the same thing as the OP, If a guy/gal is happy with what they are cooking/Q'ing and the end result is what they personally like, what's the big deal?
But I must say, while there are a couple of folks on this site that can be very blunt and critical about certain methods that "are not BBQ" in thier view, the majority of the folks here are just great. All very friendly, supportive, and more than willing to share their ideas and support at any time, and that is exactly why I keep popping in here, almost daily, sometimes several times a day, because it is a great site with great folks from all over the world with a common interest. I find it quite amazing in ways.
And besides, variety is the spice of life right? I just try to pick up pointers and get different ideas on things to try as I get kinda bored eating the same thing again and again even if it's great stuff. I love keeping it new and changing things up.
Anyway......that's my 2,3,4 cents worth,

Happy Q'ing all!

KC

Other than this forum some people read Fashion Magazine and others read Guns and Ammo. Well at least they can read. When we reached Pit Master status some of us took the vow to re-train all the unknowing ones and some of us didn't give a chit. I have always enjoyed teaching but just like in school some of these children ain't worth the effort. I get a kick reading some of the chit that comes this way and the equally stupid answers. Bottom line to all this chit is my Q is better than your Q and I ain't giving away any secrets.

Actually I like boil or steam ribs cook with tater and kraut sure beat the hell out of being cook in some oil drum over those God awful square charcoal things

I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot :biggrin1:

First buy some crock pot liners to make cleanup easy. Mix Velvetta & Rotel & throw in some browned sausage.

But I must say, while there are a couple of folks on this site that can be very blunt and critical about certain methods that "are not BBQ" in thier view, ...

And once you start using the "ignore user" feature, some of the more "controversial" threads get much more palatable to read. :thumb:

I would guess that once someone has done it all and has been told by everyone they know that they are the undisputed Grand Poobah of all BBQ knowledge then the rest of us mortals will see the light

I would guess that once someone has done it all and has been told by everyone they know that they are the undisputed Grand Poobah of all BBQ knowledge then the rest of us mortals will see the light

Originally Posted by code3rrt
But I must say, while there are a couple of folks on this site that can be very blunt and critical about certain methods that "are not BBQ" in thier view, ...

The Brethren, like anywhere on the WWW, has members that represent a cross section of modern society.
But we a blessed with a very, very low ratio of arrogant folks who just "put down" others constantly.
I can count them on one hand, which is an amazingly low number for a site this size.

The vast majority of our members understand the concept of "respect" and information flows freely between them.

Just the nature of the WWW.

TIM

As the OP stated, good food is good food. In my short time trying to get serious about this sport/hobby/science/art form that is BBQ, I've learned there's good and then there's Dayamm Good! This site has raised the bar on what I consider good now.

I didn't realize yall were gunna take me so seriously, when I was younger alot of meals came out of the crock pot, I don't care to ever have another meal out of one

I was forced to eat a lot of canned asparagus as a kid, and hated it. But, I don't blame the asparagus for that. Don't blame that crock pot, just because it wasn't used right. :becky:

CD

I was forced to eat a lot of canned asparagus as a kid, and hated it. But, I don't blame the asparagus for that. Don't blame that crock pot, just because it wasn't used right. :becky:

CD

I totally agree don't blame the asparagus - in fact I love asparagus - canned, bottled, steamed, braised in butter, stir fried, in soup and BBQed

Back