MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #31
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

RI didn't impress me on "Dinner: Impossible", but I gained a new respect for him on the second season of "Worse Cooks in America". He seemed like a pretty good instructor.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #32
Oakysmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Never cared too much for the "Dinner Impossible" thing, probably because of the scripting of everything. But with "Restaurant Impossible" there is a real life situation where things, for any number of reasons, have gone very wrong and the ship is going down.
Running a successful food joint takes a ton of work. That Robert can come into a failing one and bring it back to operational (and potential success) status in just a couple of days is really amazing. I know, a lot of that can be just what the camera and editor throws at ya. The work and the transformation is real though as are the smiles and compliments from the people eating their meals.
Gotta give him a thumbs up for sheer grit to take it on and the tenacity to see it through. I also like the aspect of giving someone a second chance to either make or break it.
Oakysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #33
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

I enjoy the show. I watch those shows to catch different cooking techniques, and different flavor combinations... (I think dinner impossible back in the day was the show that inspired me to make chocolate-covered bacon).

Don't quite agree with all the hate towards Robert though. Yes, he padded his resume a bit, but he knows how to cook, and how to run a kitchen. Personality-wise, I can't say, I don't know him, although it sounds vaguely like the comments people not in the know would say about Mr. Mixon. "He can cook, but that guy is a jerk!"

It's TV. Good guys and bad guys are all needed for ratings. Myron is a really nice, down to earth guy. TV shows are designed to entertain, and to make you want to watch them....

- Snookie is not hot.
- Jack Bauer isn't a real person.
- Alton Brown, while incredibly knowledgeable, still has to learn his subjects before shows.
- "Dinner: Impossible" is scripted.
- KITT from Knight Rider wasn't NEARLY as intelligent as the show made him out to be.
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #34
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Birch has a unique smoke. If y'all haven't tried it, ya should.
Chicken is fantastic smoked with birch.
Agreed.

I have only used it on chicken and love the sweet smell. Not sure how it would do with brisket.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #35
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post
... Don't quite agree with all the hate towards Robert though.
In my case it's not at all hatred of Robert, but hatred for lying and blatant fraud.

John

P.S. More here
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #36
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

After watching him on tv I thought he was a great chef but just like most people my opinion of his moral character went to crap after the scandal. I do have more respect for Alton Brown, the guy is a freekin cooking encyclopedia!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #37
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

So enough about Robert's integrity or AB's vast cooking knowledge (he actually went to school to learn about food so that he could do what he does...the plan worked brilliantly)......

Did anyone actually notice the freaking dirty bbq restaurant in the show? Can you believe they were serving food out of there?

I opened a restaurant once that the previous owners had been in business and said all I had to do was order food and open the doors. Well, it all looked clean on the surface. When I started cleaning it took two months to finish and open the doors. I could not believe anyone served food out of there.

The restaurant in that show was disgraceful.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #38
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Did anyone actually notice the freaking dirty bbq restaurant in the show? Can you believe they were serving food out of there?

I opened a restaurant once that the previous owners had been in business and said all I had to do was order food and open the doors. Well, it all looked clean on the surface. When I started cleaning it took two months to finish and open the doors. I could not believe anyone served food out of there.

The restaurant in that show was disgraceful.
And if you went back there today I bet it's a mess again. The guy & his wife didn't look like they were all that motivated...

Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #39
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
And if you went back there today I bet it's a mess again. The guy & his wife didn't look like they were all that motivated...
At the end of the show, that is exactly what is said. They allowed the mess to creep back in and the place was closed with a small sign in the window that said they would reopen soon.

It also said that when FTN called them, they reported doing much better financially, yet they were closed and dirty......
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #40
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

robert irvine is certainly no slouch.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #41
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Oh, I certainly beg to differ vehemently with your assessment of Alton.
He's a sharp dude who knows his stuff.

John

agreed.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #42
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Whaaaa?? No peach wood?

Myron would have a "damn" fit!

Oops! Should have saw the sweet fruit woods!
Can you imagine Robert Irvine and Myron Mixon in the same room...

...with knives?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #43
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
At the end of the show, that is exactly what is said. They allowed the mess to creep back in and the place was closed with a small sign in the window that said they would reopen soon.

It also said that when FTN called them, they reported doing much better financially, yet they were closed and dirty......
Didn't see that. Thanks for the update!!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #44
samson smith
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I am watching Food Network's Restaurant Impossible and I just had
to share an unbeliveable BBQ quote from Robert "Padded Resume" Irvine.

"...that brisket, after 16 hours in the smoker with the white birch..."

Wow, just wow! That indeed screams restaurant impossible.

John
Nutrition is very important for body. you can eating, and making necessary changes to it, you will be able to devise a health nutrition system that aids you immensely in the process. Boise is a place where many BBQ restaurents are available and provides very good food that is necessary for nutrition.
samson smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 AM   #45
B-Lazy BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Birch has a unique smoke. If y'all haven't tried it, ya should.
Chicken is fantastic smoked with birch.
Much agreed on...just be sure to de-bark it. Don't ask me how I know