• Weeping BabyBacks: Kamado Ribfest

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After a long hiatus from posting food cooks, I'm back!

Speaking of back, I picked up a nice rack of pork back ribs Sunday:

After removing the membrane, the ribs got a good coating of John Henry Pecan Rub:

Fired up the Vision Kamado with mesquite - that metal thingy is called the Spider, (purchased online at the Ceramic grill store - thanks for the tip, Jed!) which seemed a much better constructed product than the stock Vision diffuser holder:

Added some pecan:

Then put my custom made granite diffuser on the Spider:

On the ribs went to the top rack:

I dialed in the temp of the Kamado at 275. About 2 hours later, they were pretty much done as the ribs were starting to "weep". This along with the bend test has always worked for me in knowing when to pull the ribs:

Close up of the weepy goodness:

Not long after that, I gave them a light coating of sauce - all I had on hand was Stubbs, which is fine.

Brought the ribs inside, and cut them up:

Let's take a closer look:

The ribs were off the chart delish. Bursting with moisture and delicious porky flavor goodness. I am now a Kamado convert, as my ribs were never quite this good on my other cookers.

Also, this is was my entry in the "Pork Rib Off!" Throwdown, which you can enter and learn more about HERE.

1 cook and we got ya....Kamado cookers are the best small batch cookers...Bar none...Ya, I said it...Bar None...

Nice Ribs...

1 cook and we got ya....Kamado cookers are the best small batch cookers...Bar none...Ya, I said it...Bar None...

Nice Ribs...

I was very skeptical over the years about meat coming out juicier on Kamados, but comparing my results with several other smokers/cookers over the years, including a WSM, UDS, and Kettle, the difference is more than noticeable.

How is the John Henry Pecan?

I found a local BBQ store that stocked several varieties, but I wasn't sure which ones to try...suggestions appreciated.

How is the John Henry Pecan?

I found a local BBQ store that stocked several varieties, but I wasn't sure which ones to try...suggestions appreciated.

It was very good. Definitely on the sweet side. Nedra D's Hickory Rub is also good. Less sweet, with a bit of a kick. I might combine the two next time and see how it turns out.

Just beautiful! Great shots of a great cook there. :clap2:

Please don't make me want a Kamado. :tsk:

Just beautiful! Great shots of a great cook there. :clap2:

Please don't make me want a Kamado. :tsk:

Like I said:

I was very skeptical over the years about meat coming out juicier on Kamados, but comparing my results with several other smokers/cookers over the years, including a WSM, UDS, and Kettle, the difference is more than noticeable.

Very nice indeed. I used to prefer spares, no question. Since Redhot has taken a liking to loin backs though, I find myself getting them more often. Your new rig did a better job than my kettle did Labor Day though. Or maybe it was YOU did a better job than me.:rolleyes::becky:

Those look mighty tasty!

There's something to be said about ceramic cookers. I was able to make good ribs on my other cookers, but the first time I made ribs on the BGE they were tangibly better. My wife noticed the difference immediately too. Which was a good thing, since it sold her on the idea of the BGE and let me get more!

Back