MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #1666
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthrovine View Post
That has got to be a flaw with those grates. I have literally taken my stainless grates and heat stabilizing briquette deflectors off of my Artisan 60K + 15K rotiss. Btu gasser and replaced it with grill grates. Infrared temp was at least 1100. Never melted like yours did. Something seems amiss with yours = Id check in with GG. Super nice folk
You mean your 3 burners at 20k = 60k btu's? You didnt have 60k btu under a single grill grate surely?? If havent seen a single gas burner rated over 30k myself

Aluminum melts at 1221F...leave a grill grate over a yoder firepot full bore and certainly over my Memphis Elite fire pot at Open Flame High setting long enough and they will start to melt guaranteed...especially the very thin bottoms. It was my fault for those grill grates as I was testing to see how hot I could get them and I got a work call and got sidetracked...needless to say they went in the trash
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #1667
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
I don’t think so either. My main reserve with the cookshack is I read one case of pellet hopper burn back where the hopper began smoldering a ton. Basically the fire got so intense it was traveling up the pellet ramp to the auger. Also just found out the entire grill is not 304 stainless.

They have my favorite design though. Truly indirect cooking with no risk of grease fire over the grease deflector, top down smoking with the smoke exiting several inches below the meat, and a permanent commercial grade charbroiler that gets to grilling temp in minutes.

Now we just need sleebus Jones to chime in lol
I've run mine quite a bit at high temps, 400° - 600°. So far, I have not managed to catch it on fire, yet. If you are feeding pellets with a lot of sawdust on them, I can see how that might accumulate on the ramp and flash over, but it'd be a pretty short lived fire I'm sure.

The grill is made out of 201 stainless. More info on 201 SS here. Short story is that 201 is essentially the same as 304, but it's cheaper. For our application, it performs the same.

Your second paragraph on the design is exactly on point. The indirect side is SO GOOD. It's really simple and genius all at the same time. Results are just killer. Easily have turned out the best ribs ever on this thing. The other thing is that it is able to get serious smoke flavor, even at higher cook temps. When I used to cook at 275° on my GMGs, if I didn't pre-smoke for an hour (at least) I just wouldn't get any smoke flavor. With this thing, I cook straight through at 275° with no pre-smoke period and I get great smoke flavor, in about half the time since I don't have to cook at 180° for extended periods to get smoke on the meat.

These STL ribs...mmmm....just look at 'em!

-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #1668
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
You mean your 3 burners at 20k = 60k btu's? You didnt have 60k btu under a single grill grate surely?? If havent seen a single gas burner rated over 30k myself

Aluminum melts at 1221F...leave a grill grate over a yoder firepot full bore and certainly over my Memphis Elite fire pot at Open Flame High setting long enough and they will start to melt guaranteed...especially the very thin bottoms. It was my fault for those grill grates as I was testing to see how hot I could get them and I got a work call and got sidetracked...needless to say they went in the trash
I put mine directly over my Memphis advantage going full bore and never had an issue yet.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #1669
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
I've run mine quite a bit at high temps, 400° - 600°. So far, I have not managed to catch it on fire, yet. If you are feeding pellets with a lot of sawdust on them, I can see how that might accumulate on the ramp and flash over, but it'd be a pretty short lived fire I'm sure.

The grill is made out of 201 stainless. More info on 201 SS here. Short story is that 201 is essentially the same as 304, but it's cheaper. For our application, it performs the same.

Your second paragraph on the design is exactly on point. The indirect side is SO GOOD. It's really simple and genius all at the same time. Results are just killer. Easily have turned out the best ribs ever on this thing. The other thing is that it is able to get serious smoke flavor, even at higher cook temps. When I used to cook at 275° on my GMGs, if I didn't pre-smoke for an hour (at least) I just wouldn't get any smoke flavor. With this thing, I cook straight through at 275° with no pre-smoke period and I get great smoke flavor, in about half the time since I don't have to cook at 180° for extended periods to get smoke on the meat.

These STL ribs...mmmm....just look at 'em!

Huh very interesting on the 201 stainless. Seems just as good. I guess pellet burn back is a risk on any pellet grill. I saw a video of a pellet hopper fire on a Memphis as well when I was doing more research. I guess freaky things just happen sometimes

Last edited by BKING!; 01-17-2019 at 12:05 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1670
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Finally broke the Tailgater out of the box and assembled it. Not bad for $180. I can see the appeal of the Austin XL when I saw it at Walmart. It’s big for what you pay for.

Usable space on the rack is 20.5”x15.75”. I need to do a head to head with the gas smoker to see who wins the welterweight division.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #1671
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Doing the burn out right now. This ish is loud. I might as well vacuum my car with my shop vac at 1030 pm. A stick burner is silent

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #1672
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Doing the burn out right now. This ish is loud. I might as well vacuum my car with my shop vac at 1030 pm. A stick burner is silent
I hope you're exaggerating...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 01:11 AM   #1673
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I hope you're exaggerating...

It’s extra quiet out here in the sticks.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #1674
retfr8flyr
Full Fledged Farker

Doing some butts today on my Timberline 1300. Man I love the space this grill gives me. Five are for pulled pork BBQ and one is seasoned for some Carnitas.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #1675
ChesapeakeSmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
Doing some butts today on my Timberline 1300. Man I love the space this grill gives me. Five are for pulled pork BBQ and one is seasoned for some Carnitas.

WOW!! That is a lot of room on that pellet smoker and still plenty of space for airflow or more food.
ChesapeakeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #1676
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Hoping to hear more on the pitboss tailgater and how you cored it for $180 :P
SmokyDick is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #1677
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post

Keep us posted!

Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #1678
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeSmoke View Post
WOW!! That is a lot of room on that pellet smoker and still plenty of space for airflow or more food.
I seen a pic yesterday somebody had 75lbs on a MAK 2 star. 8 big butts, Was nuts.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #1679
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I seen a pic yesterday somebody had 75lbs on a MAK 2 star. 8 big butts, Was nuts.
I did it a while ago lol

Last edited by BKING!; 03-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #1680
retfr8flyr
Full Fledged Farker

Well guys and gals the cook came out great and I beat the rain. I cooked these with LJ Comp blend pellets at 225° for 9hrs, on Super Smoke setting and then bumped it up to 250° to make sure I beat the rain. I cooked these straight through, no spritzing, or wrapping, I have found that I prefer the bark created this way. Everything came out great and I pulled, wrapped and put in coolers at the 14th hour. I gave 3 of these to my kids for their dinners and pulled one of them for ours. I have cooked a lot of butts in my lifetime but I honestly think this was the best one I have ever done. The bark was fantastic and the flavor was over the top. The kids all texted me that theirs were the best they had ever had. I am really loving this new 1300 and I am so glad I was able to get it. Here are a couple shots of the finished product. I hope to try the Carnitas one next week, I hope it is as good as the BBQ ones.

1 members found this post helpful.