MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default Questions for new teams, small teams, and even people who have not competed that want to compete

Have you ever considered combining teams to pool resources? Expenses to compete are pretty high. Its hard to be a team of one or a husband/wife team.

Now some folks thats fine and it works for them. I know its hard on us to compete because of expense and also family obligations. Alot of times my wife can't be there and that puts the brakes on for us.

Just out curiousity what would it take to entice you to combine resources and start new teams?

If your wondering yeah I am looking at starting a new team. I am open to a new name and giving up control of some categories. Depends on how many people might be interested in doing this. Just gauging interest and trying to get an idea of what it would take to put something together. Keep in mind I don't plan to compete tons maybe just a few times a year.

We don't have to live close just have to be able to get to the contests. If its a team of 2 you cook 2 categories and I cook 2 and split it up further depending on how many people want to do this.

I am not looking to compete again until 2020.
I will bring beer :)
Hit me up and ask questions and we can talk about at least one trial event in 2020.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
mbigtoe
Knows what a fatty is.

I actually just teamed up with a buddy of mine. We were both competing separately, and we both took Travis Clark's class back in March. After doing one comp separately after the class, we decided to go partners and split costs. We are doing the same process/meats/injections/sauces/etc. so it just made sense. Plus, with work schedules it makes it so that one of us can go set up and the other can join in after work on Friday. We usually don't travel far for comps and mainly compete in IBCA.

I already had memberships in IBCA and KCBS, so I'm the official head cook. We take turns running comps, though. If he's running the comp, he's walking at awards and vice versa. We changed our team name to reflect the smokers we cook on (we both cook on Shirley Fabrication smokers). Since teaming up, we've done two comps and finished 5th and 3rd overall in those comps. That's probably more testimony of Travis' class, though, than our partnership.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Coldgas
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Jody

We have 3 guys on our team and split everything up. 1 person cooks brisket, I do ribs, and another on chicken and sometimes have 4th and 5th person for porkbutt and ancillary. We do mostly IBCA and there usually no pork butts.
Something we do is ask local businesses owners to sponsor us. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to help out for advertisement. We have t shirts made with their name on the back and give them a shirt (one of our sponsors is a tshirt company) . They are especially willing to help for charity cookoff like Ronald McDonald house. Usually we will have 1 sponsor pick up our entry and another cover the meat costs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote