The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

How many of you use a cheap pellet brand (Pit Boss Competition Blend is $.375/lb. around here) for heat and a more expensive brand (Lumberjack 100% Hickory is $.90/lb.) in a smoke tube for flavor? This is what I'm thinking about doing for my next rib/butt/brisket cook. My mind is out of control right now and these questions just pop in.

NY Strips on the DB last night. 250 for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, seared on the gasser. I was hesitant to cook good steaks anywhere except the Performer, but these turned out great! Sorry, no pics. The wife made a comment the other day that I have more pictures of my smokers and food than I have of her, so I have to cool it for a while.

I just got into the pellet game so this is all new to me. I have BBQ Delight that came with the YS640. I've ordered some Bear Mountain. Decent price. Haven't really looked for the "go to" pellet yet. I do hear lumberjack are the way to the light so may give them a go soon

Cooked a meatloaf last night on the DB... WOW!!!

Here’s the kicker, Mrs 4ever3 fired up the DB and while she was putting the meatloaf together sent a kid out to raise the temp to 350° then the Mrs put the meatloaf on. This was all done before I got home...

God Bless PG’s!

I know when I make burgers with the flame zone, the grill gets trashed.

The grease wasn’t bad. I bought a cow a while back and the meat was too lean so I was cooking with 90/10 beef unfortunately. The lean beef made clean up easy.

Cooked a meatloaf last night on the DB... WOW!!!

Here’s the kicker, Mrs 4ever3 fired up the DB and while she was putting the meatloaf together sent a kid out to raise the temp to 350° then the Mrs put the meatloaf on. This was all done before I got home...

God Bless PG’s!

One of the great perks of owning one!

How many of you use a cheap pellet brand (Pit Boss Competition Blend is $.375/lb. around here) for heat and a more expensive brand (Lumberjack 100% Hickory is $.90/lb.) in a smoke tube for flavor? This is what I'm thinking about doing for my next rib/butt/brisket cook. My mind is out of control right now and these questions just pop in.

Nothing wrong with that. I’d get a blend that is mainly oak , hickory, or pecan for when you want to do cheap grilling or just want a lot of heat. Fruit wood put out less heat and smoke. When I grill I use 100% oak which is actually optimal but get whatever is cheap.

One of the great perks of owning one!

Yes Sir!

I mentioned a few pages back how the Mrs really liked the PG because she wasn’t intimidated by the flames and fire of charcoal and someone said something to the effect of “I don’t want my wife touching my cookers that’s why I won’t have one!!!”

My thought? “Sad...” I love it when the Mrs and the monkeys help me cook outside!

NY Strips on the DB last night. 250 for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, seared on the gasser. I was hesitant to cook good steaks anywhere except the Performer, but these turned out great! Sorry, no pics. The wife made a comment the other day that I have more pictures of my smokers and food than I have of her, so I have to cool it for a while.
Post and delete...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I find that I got wider temp swings with Pit Boss pellets, but that could be my pellet grill. I don't have a DB. I would try it, and see if it affects your grill.

I don't use a tube in my pellet grill, so I can't comment on that part.

I find that I got wider temp swings with Pit Boss pellets, but that could be my pellet grill. I don't have a DB. I would try it, and see if it affects your grill.

I don't use a tube in my pellet grill, so I can't comment on that part.

Do people that use pellet tubes get nasty smoke on their food? It just seems like a heavy wood smolder.

Do people that use pellet tubes get nasty smoke on their food? It just seems like a heavy wood smolder.

I use them on my gasser mixed with wood chips. It normally keeps a flame while I am doing it, Plus the gasser has a very high natural air flow.

I bought a 12" Amazin Tube to use for cold smoking in my FEC-100. The trick is to light it with a propane burner and let it go for about ten minutes before blowing out the flame at which point a 12" tube will smoke for about six hours.

After cold smoking bacon for six hours with Apple Pellets, I fired up my FEC-100 at 200 degrees for another two to three hours to get some color on my pork belly's without "cooking" the meat all the way through.

I also used the smoke tube occasionally with my Webber Gasser for quick smoke flavor on steaks, but since I bought my PK Original Grill I rarely use my Webber Gasser!

No reason to use the smoking tube with my FEC-100 on ribs, brisket, etc. as I get more than enough smoke without a tube.

I get great results with pit boss comp blend. I'd never use a smoke tube unless I felt the need to add creosote flavor to my food. (this is my opinion only, please don't kill me!)

I get great results with pit boss comp blend. I'd never use a smoke tube unless I felt the need to add creosote flavor to my food. (this is my opinion only, please don't kill me!)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong. I have 3 different sizes of pellet tubes/trays. I use them for cold smoking, and adding additional smoke during some cooks. Never once got a creosote taste, or any bad smoke flavor at all.

I agree but my opinion is not based on any research or facts. It's just in my head that thick white smoke isn't good. Crazy i know!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I suppose the quality of the smoke is based partly on the quality of the pellets. I use an A-maze-n tube and my experience is there is nothing ‘nasty’ about them. I use it my pellet smoker and Weber gasser.

I think I'm about to go ahead a join the pellet pooper club. The ys640 is looking mighty good. Are there still paint issues with it? I'd like to find a decent used one so I'm hoping I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with the paint quality.

I think I'm about to go ahead a join the pellet pooper club. The ys640 is looking mighty good. Are there still paint issues with it? I'd like to find a decent used one so I'm hoping I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with the paint quality.

Mine rusted pretty badly on the front left in under a year...it drove me crazy honestly. You need to go into it expecting to sand and paint periodically IMO. Great cooker otherwise

This was less than a year and covered most times

ed4e3c5ed3847232bc1bb9ed2a046e84.jpg

Last edited:
Back