The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Nice! The GrillGrates I used to use on my Weber Genesis are 19.25” panels. It to is like a custom fit on the MAK. How many panels will you be using?

“It’s about to get real tomorrow...”

Man, how on earth am I going to sleep tonight with that kind of teaser [emoji3061]

I have the 19.25 inch panels too. I might use all 4 and if they get too dark before getting done I’ll finish them on a half rack on the 2nd shelf.

I have the 19.25 inch panels too. I might use all 4 and if they get too dark before getting done I’ll finish them on a half rack on the 2nd shelf.

Be careful, 4 panels will cover almost the entire cooking surface. You run the chance of messing with airflow and worse yet... suppressing the heat down in the belly of the cooking chamber causing potential damage. Last year I was talking with a MAK owner who did a full GG replacement on his MAK and ended up damaging it from the extreme heat that was held down in the cooking chamber. I can’t remember if it warped things or messed up the electronics or both, but I remember him giving me the same warning I am giving you (he was ticked at himself!)

I tried it one time before I had that conversation with him and set the Pellet Boss to 400°. This pic was taken right after the Pellet Boss had hit 400° and the temp was still on the rise. I haven’t done it since... to scared... lol. In fact, it’s was that conversation that made me decide to invest in the MAK sear grates.
18546072683ead12bf4861f8d8c0a311.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful, 4 panels will cover almost the entire cooking surface. You run the chance of messing with airflow and worse yet... suppressing the heat down in the belly of the cooking chamber causing potential damage. Last year I was talking with a MAK owner who did a full GG replacement on his MAK and ended up damaging it from the extreme heat that was held down in the cooking chamber. I can’t remember if it warped things or messed up the electronics or both, but I remember him giving me the same warning I am giving you (he was ticked at himself!)

I tried it one time before I had that conversation with him and set the Pellet Boss to 400°. This pic was taken right after the Pellet Boss had hit 400° and the temp was still on the rise. I haven’t done it since... to scared... lol.
18546072683ead12bf4861f8d8c0a311.jpg

I didn’t think about that. I’ve done it several times with all 4 panels before. How would 3 sound?

You guys are going to make me get this Sear Zone aren’t you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are going to make me get this Sear Zone aren’t you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should if you can afford it. Much easier to clean between cooks and the grill just runs better even when smoking. It uses less fuel I noticed too. Faster heat up times with the panels removed

3 would be ideal and should work well with zero risk of damage :)

If you want, you could add one of their 1/2 panels to your existing 3. Have you seen those? Instead of 5.25” wide, I think they are just a tad over 2.5” in width. I bought one last year... lol. That lil addition will take you from about 300 sq inches of GrillGrate cooking space to 350 sq inches... and still provide the necessary gap (a comfortable 2”) on both sides for airflow.

This is all 4 pushed to one side and all 3 pushed to one side. I might get the half panel I’m not sure.

Last edited:
This is all 4 pushed to one side and all 3 pushed to one side. I might get the half panel I’m not sure.

It might be tempting to run with 4 panels, but I’d suggest a good 1.5-2” gap on each side.

For those of you with a YS 640

Do any of you have the wire shelves on your smoker. If so how do you like them. I’m picking up a used 640 with wire shelves and contemplating buying the stainless shelves.

Do any of you have the wire shelves on your smoker. If so how do you like them. I’m picking up a used 640 with wire shelves and contemplating buying the stainless shelves.

I don’t have a Yoder, but I’ve seen lots pics with rusted wire shelves. IMO, the solid stainless shelves are a worthwhile investment. I believe the wire shelves are nothing more than nickel plated metal.

I have the stainless shelves. They are very well built. I think they are certainly worth the money, but I wouldn't rush to upgrade. The 2 piece diffuser, is the most important upgrade you can get.

I have the stainless shelves. They are very well built. I think they are certainly worth the money, but I wouldn't rush to upgrade. The 2 piece diffuser, is the most important upgrade you can get.

The 640 I am buying comes with grill grates, the 2 Piece diffuser 2 thermometers and cover. The only option he didn’t get was upgraded shelves

I agree with the stainless shelves. well built and def the way to go if you have the option.

Buying an older model Yoder YS640, yay or nay?

I started a thread but figured I should ask in this thread.

Almost 3 years into my Traeger-ownership, I'm thinking about upgrading to a better and bigger pellet grill. This has brought me to my favorite, the Yoder YS640. These things are very expensive over here (Europe) but I consider them to be the best that are available. I prefer the one on the comp cart as I will need to move it around as well as take it to other locations.

I have found 2 shops that have a YS640 Comp for sale at a discount price. I'm waiting on 1 shop to get back to me, they have one that is supposedly a new one. The other one was build in August 2016 but they are throwing in 250kg of pellets. I know Yoder made some changes, I think they updated the probe port design in 2017 so I won't be getting that. This one has been sitting on their shop floor and has also never been used.

New price for YS640 on comp cart is 3950euro, the 2016 model has an asking price of 3400 but about 400euro worth of pellets in the deal. The newer model (waiting on exact date) has asking price of 3200. The 200euro difference buys me about 10 bags of pellets.

Hey LordRiffenstein. I think i commented on the other post and still, in my opinion, think the one to go for is the new one. If you can swing the added cost of the new one, that is where i would look.

I started a thread but figured I should ask in this thread.

Almost 3 years into my Traeger-ownership, I'm thinking about upgrading to a better and bigger pellet grill. This has brought me to my favorite, the Yoder YS640. These things are very expensive over here (Europe) but I consider them to be the best that are available. I prefer the one on the comp cart as I will need to move it around as well as take it to other locations.

I have found 2 shops that have a YS640 Comp for sale at a discount price. I'm waiting on 1 shop to get back to me, they have one that is supposedly a new one. The other one was build in August 2016 but they are throwing in 250kg of pellets. I know Yoder made some changes, I think they updated the probe port design in 2017 so I won't be getting that. This one has been sitting on their shop floor and has also never been used.

New price for YS640 on comp cart is 3950euro, the 2016 model has an asking price of 3400 but about 400euro worth of pellets in the deal. The newer model (waiting on exact date) has asking price of 3200. The 200euro difference buys me about 10 bags of pellets.

That's a tough one. Do they all come with the same factory warranty.

Up until the new probe port design, probe ports were an add on feature. Does the old one come with the old style probe ports, or none. You can buy the new style port from Yoder for around $30 us. Love the new design, and if you use a probe thermo, you will need a port, because shutting the lid on your wire, will not work.

I believe they also made a change to the hinges, the door gasket, and a fan baffle. Not sure if those were all done in 2017 or not. I would lean toward the new one, if the price wasn't too much, but you will probably like either.

To all of you who were in the recent Grill Grates discussion, QUIT TALKING ABOUT THEM! I AM NOT GETTING THEM SO GIVE UP!

To all of you who were in the recent Grill Grates discussion, QUIT TALKING ABOUT THEM! I AM NOT GETTING THEM SO GIVE UP!

Hahaha. I dont have em either and I am not looking at that thread...."dont look" "dont look"

Back