Brisket - Dr. Pepper-Marinading-Brining-Generalizations

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Brethren... a little bit of my 2 cents... go get a beer.

:idea: :idea:

I know i've said this before and hate to be repetitive, but i will just point out some stuff one more time about the use od DrPepper in marinades.

Its in response to TK's brisket thread where there was discussion of using other than Dr pepper, or using Diet sodas.

The active ingriedent, for our purposes in Dr pepper(also in coke), is phosphoric acid. Thats the tenderizer. It can be found in significant amounts in Dr. Pepper, and Coke, and i believe regular and herbal tea, and a POOPIE load of other stuff. I don't, IMHO, think it actually adds any significant flavor, or a least the flavor is not why we are using it. I have used both DrP and plain Coke. Not diet, not vanilla, lemon or cherry, just DrP or Coke. So, if ya look on the ingriedents of other sodas, its the phosphoric acid that important. If its in there, and listed on the ingriedents, it will do the job. Does using Diet work, or matter???. Dont know, I read that sorbotol and saccarin, nutra-sweet and other non sugar sweetners dont cook well. That may be the issue of using Diet sodas. (I for one have been on Atkins, lost 32 lbs so far, and haven't worried about the marinade part of a brisket.) But, if the diet sodas have phosphoric acid in them, they will work for us same as the regular.

Bottom line, Coke and DrP are interchangable. The DrPepper marinade is basically a tenderizing marinade. I never had a brisket that tasted like coke or Dr.Pepper. Tks variation has hot sauce, lime and worsey and spices for flavor. I add Pickapeppa sauce in mine too. If ya leave a brisket for more than a 36-40 hrs in DrP, the outside becomes mushy and that will not produce a nice bark...... Put a steak in a bag of coke or Dr.P for 2 days and it will disintergrate.. completely.. turn to meatmeal.
Its the acid doing this, and thats what we want to tenderize, but not disintergrate.

Heres just my 2 cents of fragmented thoughts, but i hope ya get the point.

Some other Coke(Dr. Pepper) trivia:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.
9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
thanks Phil :) This is cool stuff, but I'd find something cheaper than a t-bone to test this.

For what it's worth. I used the cherry dp for my marinade, and it made no difference in the final taste

david said:
You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
thanks Phil :) This is cool stuff, but I'd find something cheaper than a t-bone to test this.

For what it's worth. I used the cherry dp for my marinade, and it made no difference in the final taste

Do you mean "cherry coke"? Is there a "cherry" version of Dr. Pepper? I thought Dr. Pepper IS cherry coke...kindof.

It was labeled somthing like "red fusion" with a small dr. pepper logo underneath. It tasted more "cherry" than regular dr. pepper, but not too different. If somebody had served it in a glass, I probly wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Thanks for the insights into marinades.

I remember my Dad using Coke (not Pepsi!!) to clean the windshield when we were on trips back in the 50's and 60's.

Coke and other cola products are especially destructive on PC keyboards due to the phosphoric acid -- though I will admit one of the nastiest keyboard marinades I ever ran across was V-8 juice left in the keyboard over the weekend -- the idiot user was afraid to call it in!! :D

After all this discussion about the marinades I may have to try one on my next brisket -- though I haven't had a problem with tenderness -- don't know whether I've been lucky or just patient enough for them to tenderize. We'll see.

I just use Adolfs and stab the brisket with bear claws.

You can also rub the meat with figs (not fig newtons but real figs) and it will do the same thing. However, Adolfs is much easier to find in the local Food-4-Less. DP and Coke will do the same but it takes longer and costs more than a good sprinkling of Adolfs.

problem with adolfs and Accent is the MSG. Alot of people have wacky reactions to the stuff. My wife will get a knockout headache about 2 minutes after eating anything with msg. We have had to leave many a restaurant because she got headaches so bad she almost passed out.

But i didnt know about the fig trick. Figs are tenderizers?

And do we have to where the leaf when were done? :shock:

Figs are great tenderizers and natural too. Unless you buy synthetic figs, and I never wear fig leaves. I use one of those goard things that they use in the S.W. Pacific Islands. That way you can poke the coals to get a little more heat from a log.

Adolph's is available MSG free -- Accent, on the other hand, IS MSG -- I use both occassionally. No one in my family reacts to MSG (thank goodness after spending a total of 11 years in the Far East :D).

I use my Jaccard meat tenderizer instead of "chemicals" most of the time. The mechanical tenderizing also helps with marinade penetration.

i was lookin at that jaccard thingy. looks like it can make chop mean out of a brisket. That thing dont make the meat all mushy?

Nope, it works great -- if you got real froggy you migh ruin the meat but I've Jaccardized the hell out of double cut pork chops (grilling doesn't give them time to tenderize) and they come out really tender and you can't see the "cuts". I'll try and bring it to the Bash and we can try it out. I've used it on pork, chicken breast (before breading them), beef cutlets (chicken fried steak), and so forth and it really does make a difference.

DFLittle said:
I'll try and bring it to the Bash and we can try it out. .

That be great,, before I dump 35 bucks on something i'll never use, id like to try it.

BBQchef33 said:
Brethren... a little bit of my 2 cents... go get a beer.

:idea: :idea:

I like this part of the Post best, no beer but got a fresh GinTea! :p :D :p

Only Brian would think something with 48 needle sharp blades would be kinky :D

Back