Your opinions. Mentoring Program.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Kingpins post reminded me of something I have been thinking about for a while and alredy discused in the past with some of you.

Where are we..... From the Backyard to the American Royal. Some History.

Thats a brief description of a piece of our current charter I envisioned years ago when our group started getting involved in competition BBQ. We were a happy bunch of backyarders at the time, with little or no experience in competition BBQ.

As we grew, seasoned competitors began to join us and enlightened us to the world of Competitive BBQ. Some of us stayed in our original paths improving our backyard fares and others decided to venture off and try their hands at competition. So we(our members) were ranging From the Backyard to the American Royal.

Somewhere along the lines, that tag line took on a double meaning.. the second being the journey of our rookie teams From the Backyard TO the American Royal.

<jump ahead....>

I remember when arriving at one of my earlier competitions, 3rd, maybe forth time out, when I pulled into the venue, I saw names like DrBBQ, Dirty Dick, Philly Pigs and Daisy Mays. My first thought was "Aww chit..look who's here. There goes any of my chances" for a walk.

I took 3rd overall in that contest behind Drbbq and Dirty Dick. ... Which led to the line of 'Any given day'...any one of us can walk.

Sometime later, as I was working on our artwork I envisioned someone pulling into a contest and seeing our banner flying on someones tent and them having the same feeling i did when I saw some of the big names. "Aw chit, its A Brethren"... thats where the tag line came from.. "Fear the Pig".

Now, I feel our emblem is not a symbol of Competition BBQ, but a symbol of the BBQ Ambassadors. Yes, one day in someones mind, it may symbolize one of the elite as they arrive at a contest as say 'aw chit".., but it will always be a group of friends, family, enthusiasts and those people willing to share, help in the overall promotion of the art of BBQ, whether it be in the Backyard or the American Royal.

so heres is something I propose(taking a page from NEBS and other organizations). The BBQ Brethren Mentoring Program.

We have plenty of teams here, many flying our colors. Lets drive to help the new guys out.. ....those that are considering taking the plunge but are unsure. All they may need is to try one contest to make that decisions.

I will set up a catagory in the Competition Forum for teams to sign up as mentors, and members to look for places to start out. It will be seperated form the other competition stuff.

This can come under a few guises.

1 - Teams can actually sign up to mentor by just starting a thread with your team bio and location and maybe the contests you plan to cook if u know them.
or
they can just be looking for someone to help. If that someone has little or no experience, guess what? Its mentoring. :wink::mrgreen:

I would think that once a team starts a thread, they can just add to it for there own Mentoring history.

2 - Members can post looking to join, or tag along with a team or post their experiences to help others trying to decide.

3 - Teams can merge, cook together to offset costs, or relieve stress, free up time, etc..

We can make it what we want. I am not expecting a huge amount of activity, but it will help centralize and organize the concept and make it easier for it to take off.

This is an idea in its infancy that i have discussed with a few members in the past and have not had a chance to implement.. KINGPIN lit the fire.. good job!!

Now.. lets discuss. .we're open for suggestions, or just a dumb idea?

I think it's a great idea. I'd love to be mentored out here on the West Coast...

We would be willing to mentor anyone who has a name ending in "ski".....just kidding. I think it is a wonderful idea and we would be willing to mentor. Why not start another section of the board called Mentors. Give each Mentoring Team a thread labeled with the Team Name and location. The newby can post in the Team Name/ location Thread of his choosing to request mentoring.

I have always viewed the Brethren Banner as a " Welcome Mat ", a home so to speak where you can always find a handshake, a beer, a good laugh and a wealth of information. I have never hesitated to approach a team flying the banner knowing that I would be greeted with a warm welcome.

Team Q has mentored in the past. It was amazing how people who really want to improve their BBQ will absorb as much knowledge as they can and turn around and do extremely well at their next contest. Watching them get their walk is the pay off. I would encourage all the Brethren who compete regularly to help with the mentoring program.

Spice

I would love to mentor 13th place chicken

Hi Sled! Nice to see you! We've missed you.

We would be willing to mentor anyone who has a name ending in "ski".....

Our family name was Lewandowski until my grandfather changed it. Does that count? :-D

OK... Back on topic. I think it's a great idea. Many of us do this informally already. A forum for teams to offer mentoring or rookies looking for a mentor would be great. Maybe there should be another forum (or subforum) for guys looking for teams or teams looking for members.

I would echo Phil I know from a hard fought weekend with two good friends that all it takes is once to get the bug. Slow to act but would gladly pay my dues by learning then mentoring. This is why I voted great concept Phil. Thanks

Another awesome vision from our Fearless Leader Phil Rizzardi!

Welcome to the greatest forum on the planet.

I think it is a Great idea!!!! I too remember going to my first contest and taking a look around and thinking "what in the world have I gotten us into". Fortunatley there was alot of "seasoned" competitors that made a point of introducing themselves and saying if there's anything you need or have any questions just ask....I was blown away at their generosity. I am still new on the scene, and still learning, but if I saw a new team at a comp, I would defintley say howdy and let them know if they needed somthing or had a question I could answer, not to hesitate.

Great Idea Poobah....I say pass it foward!!! :cool:

Phil,

This is a great idea. For us anyway, we could probably fit all the categories,(mentoring,needing mentoring, looking for team mates). I'll keep watch for the new category

Anyone that wants to mentor me near KC, just let me know when and where. Like anything else, the more I've learned, the more I realize their's more to learn.

Sounds like a great Idea to me I know it would have been real helpful a couple of years ago when I started competing.

I concur. Great idea. This is what makes this pursuit (sport?) so great. I haven't met a nicer bunch of folks as the teams that compete.

Another awesome vision from our Fearless Leader Phil Rizzardi!

Welcome to the greatest forum on the planet.

The KCBS doesn't know what they missed not having PR on the B.O.D.

Confirming what Tonto stated, had we not been so welcomed at our first comp., we may have not done another!
I think this is a great idea and a great way to promote BBQ !:biggrin:

We try to help out anyone that wants help - and that include anything from answering a question to having them cook with us. I enjoy seeing someone "getting hooked". We even had Jeff (Big Creek) come and cook with us - of course this didn't prepare him at all for his first contest at the American Royal.

Formalizing this is a great idea Phil. We are in!

Can I get "LIGHTER OF THE FLAME" or perhaps "KEEPER OF THE FLAME" on my tag line???

Just kidding, but I am glad to have been of service. My idea of ribs in the old days was parboiling them, slapping sauce on and finishing them on on my gasser.
Wow, have I changed the way I cook and it's all because of StevenRaichlen.
I read the book like a novel, front to back and realized...I CAN DO THIS.

Now I have met you guys and I made ABT's in Monday Night for a group of friends, they were floored on how good they were.

THANKS GO TO ALL OF YOU

to allll who said I could join their teams, I have nothing but a positive feeling for this site.

I don't have a fancy smoker, just a propane Great Outdoors smoker. IMHO it makes good que.

Phil glad I could be of help and I am dying to meet some of you guys as well.

Phil,
Greg and I have probably mentored more people that anyone. We have done this via the NEBS mentoring program primarily. Some have stayed around; most have moved on to form there own teams or show up when they can get free or disappeared into the woodwork. Some have come back to help us with the long distance events. So yes, it is a great idea and anyone interested is always welcome in the Turtle Pit. We even let people do more than wash dishes (note: this has not always been such a good idea). LOL...we also do generally all the NEBS events and the NY/PA/NJ events if we can get in.
Nancee

Back