whole pig cook questions.

davefan360

Take a breath!
My dad would like a whole hog for his birthday in 6 weeks. I have a rf smoker that will hold a hog just fine. 120 gallon pit. How big should of a pig should I get. Looking to cook for 100 people. My buddy will be there to help and he has cooked a pig on a over the coals style pit and knows what to do. Just never cooked one rf. Main ? Is how large of a pig should I get. Also what time line cooking at 270 ish? Any other tips would be helpful thanks. Will also be grilling chicken some hot dogs and pit beans and some potato salad. Thanks

A 100lb (live weight) pig will yeild ~40-50lbs of meat. Figure the big fellas will eat 3/4-1lb, most will eat 1/2lb or less. If you have a side or two or three those number will shift down a bit.

I cooked a 100lb pig on 4th of July along with red beans & rice and slaw. Fed ~70. With about 3lbs left over.

Thanks. How long did you cook it? On what style of pit?

I did it in a Caja China so from first match strike to serving happy guests was about 5hrs & 45min including resting the meat and breaking it down.

I've done a bit over a dozen Hawaiian style (in an Imu) Kalua Pig over the years as well. Orders of magnitude more work and they take 12-18hrs.

For our Pig Out we have about 50 guests... I also do a similar cook for Rotary... 50 lb pig in the Caja Asadora and two Packer Briskets in the Backwoods... Always too much food with sides...Great time...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back