MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
NC-Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Default A good week...

So I come home on Friday and am greeted by a brand new Weber OTS 18.5 box in my living room- happy birthday to me! Proceeded to grill up a mess of chicken thighs on Saturday night, and I have to say, I can see now why some folks here say they prefer their kettles to the drums for chicken. Unfortunately didn't get any pictures due to the fact that we also polished off a few growlers and far too many "painkillers" (reminds me of my time working in the British Virgin Islands...)

But here's the kicker- I must have done something to earn some major good karma, because while dodging downpours this afternoon on a run, I ran into this little guy sitting on the curb next to a bunch of garbage:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I assumed it must have some serious fatal flaw for someone to be pitching it, but I came back with my truck after my run, and nope, it was perfect. Cleaned it up and it looks like it has only been used a few times.

From 0 to 2 new webers in one week, I'd say that's a good week.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

That is a good week. They will be put to good use I'm sure.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

your week is way better than mine , been working to late to do any cooking
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Great week and nice find/save!

Some folks just don't know what they're missing when they have a kettle and don't use it.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
NC-Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Great week and nice find/save!

Some folks just don't know what they're missing when they have a kettle and don't use it.
I definitely agree! Cooked up some brats tonight on the smokey joe, and I can say without a doubt that I will get some serious mileage out of it for cooking up a few things for the 2 of us for dinner, as well as at the beach, tailgating, camping, etc... I can't imagine why people are so quick to toss old webers, but I'm glad they do...

Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Q View Post
So I come home on Friday and am greeted by a brand new Weber OTS 18.5 box in my living room- happy birthday to me! Proceeded to grill up a mess of chicken thighs on Saturday night, and I have to say, I can see now why some folks here say they prefer their kettles to the drums for chicken. Unfortunately didn't get any pictures due to the fact that we also polished off a few growlers and far too many "painkillers" (reminds me of my time working in the British Virgin Islands...)

But here's the kicker- I must have done something to earn some major good karma, because while dodging downpours this afternoon on a run, I ran into this little guy sitting on the curb next to a bunch of garbage:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I assumed it must have some serious fatal flaw for someone to be pitching it, but I came back with my truck after my run, and nope, it was perfect. Cleaned it up and it looks like it has only been used a few times.

From 0 to 2 new webers in one week, I'd say that's a good week.
Congrats on the Weber score. You will love them for years to come. However, I'm interested in the PainKillers. Do you have a recipe that you can share? There is a bar at Megan's Bay on St. Thomas that makes those and they are fantastic and sneaky good. Not too sweet. Have found very few bartenders that no how to make them and if they do, they are sickeningly sweet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice score!

Did ya run out a buy a lottery ticket?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

+1 on the PainKiller recipe. Please share

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Fat Cap
Full Fledged Farker

Good week? Hell, that's a great week! Enjoy.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
NC-Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Congrats on the Weber score. You will love them for years to come. However, I'm interested in the PainKillers. Do you have a recipe that you can share? There is a bar at Megan's Bay on St. Thomas that makes those and they are fantastic and sneaky good. Not too sweet. Have found very few bartenders that no how to make them and if they do, they are sickeningly sweet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert
Ah, the painkiller! When they are done right they aren't really too overly sweet. That's why I far prefer it to any pina colada. The ratios I use are:

4 parts pineapple juice
2 parts orange juice
1 part cream of coconut
1-2 parts rum (depending on how strong you like it...)

Grate some whole nutmeg over the top

Usually I make up a batch of the mix and then add rum on a drink-to-drink basis. Dark rum is key. At one of the wholesalers in Tortola I could get handles of Cruzan "aged rum" for about 8-10 bucks, so I've kinda gotten into the habit of using that...

Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

NC-Q,

Thanks for the recipe, will have to give it a try. All I know is that the hot little blond bartender at the bar on Megan's Bay can really make a good one. Perfect balance of flavors and for some reason, you can't really judge the rum content. Will be going back in November. Have not been in a couple of years, hope she is still there.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote