MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default country Style Ribs Question...

My butcher tells me that the CSRs are cut off the loin chops, however they kinda look more like shoulder meat, so I thought they were a shoulder cut. By the way, there is a bone, like a short, loin rib bone.
If they are a loin, I'd go to a much lower temp than a shoulder cut, right?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

9 times out of 10 here in California country ribs are shoulder, not loin chops. If you’re butcher says loin then it will be like cooking a baby back rib.

If the bone looks like an actual rib bone with a good chunk of meat on one side, it’s a loin rib.

Buy them and post a pic.

Last edited by Mike in Roseville; 10-17-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Down here in Texas they are always cut from the shoulder. I have heard of regional difference where they will cut them from a loin...I would avoid those.

This is my most recent shot of shoulder CSRs:

-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
9 times out of 10 here in California country ribs are shoulder, not loin chops. If you’re butcher says loin then it will be like cooking a baby back rib.

If the bone looks like an actual rib bone with a good chunk of meat on one side, it’s a loin rib.

Buy them and post a pic.
Mike, they’re at WinCo. If you’re ever there, take a look, otherwise, I’ll try and get a shot and post. Better yet, I’ll just get some! They look good no matter what they are. I’ll just smoke them like a baby back.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Up north here....

Country Style Ribs

Interestingly enough, for those who do not know: country-style ribs, don't actually come from the ribs. Thus creating a confusing product name not understood by many. The name is taken from the fact that the meat borders the rib area and has a texture and flavor similar to the meat around the ribs, but this theory of how they were given the name was taken from an article I read a many years ago.

A Google search revealed the following...
https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/
The North American Meat Processors Association says that country style ribs "shall be prepared from the blade end of a bone-in pork loin, and shall include not less the three ribs, and no more than six...

Country Style Ribs are cut from the blade end, just above or behind where the whole shoulder was taken off. Boneless Country Style Ribs can also be strips cut from thick pork shoulder steaks. This somewhat fatty economical cut is sold either bone-in or as boneless products. The meatiest variety of Country Style Ribs are cut from the sirloin or rib end of the pork loin and are usually labeled as "Pork Loin Country Style Ribs".

Also, Country Style Ribs are a great way to test multiple samples of rubs or sauces without the great expense of multiple racks of ribs. They cook in the same manner as ribs, they are very similar in texture and flavor as ribs, thus giving you an inexpensive platform to experiment with.

I dusted them.

Lightly seared the country style ribs over the coals, then moved to the indirect side of the kettle.

Cooked with indirect heat with apple wood chunks until tender.

Sauced before serving.

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
darita
is One Chatty Farker

That's a great explanation, as our Winco has Pork Loin Country Style Ribs and just County Style Ribs, that seem to cost more and for sure have the bone in. I'll cook'em up like ribs. By the way, those look delicious!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
dadsr4

Pork Loin Country Style Ribs look like pork loin, pale pink. Shoulder cut look like shoulder meat, red.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Well, the CSR that I see at the store look like a combo...just like the ones in the pic shown. Part are a pale pink like a loin and the other part looks like shoulder, dark red.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

They sell both around here. I make them quite often, and we do not care for the loin cut. The loin cut is too lean.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Dadsr4, why do I find myself agreeing with you so much?

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdF View Post
Hey Dadsr4, why do I find myself agreeing with you so much?
Good living. And our spirit animal is the Honey Badger.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

good info as usual mad man