MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade
Default Chicken brine?

Thought I’d throw some yard bird on the egg this weekend. Wet brine or dry brine? Is there really much difference?
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it's enhanced, it's already brined, to me.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

The biggest difference to me is that a wet brine makes the skin soggy. You can do it a couple days before, but then you still should let the skin dry for another day.

Here's what I do for whole chickens and turkeys:

1. Spatchcock the bird the day before. (https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...terfly-poultry) and remove wishbone.
2. Dry brine. (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ul-wet-brining)
3. Place the bird on a rack over a tray and put in the fridge overnight.
4. Mix herbs and spices with a stick of room temperature butter.
5. Rub butter mixture under and over the skin.
6. Smoke indirect at high heat (350* or higher) to 165* in the thickest part of the breast.
7. Slice and eat right away. Resting just lets it get cold and the skin soggy.

Note: Birds absorb smoke like a sponge. Have a clean stick fire or use only a small amount of wood if using charcoal and chunks. For the turkey below, I used one chunk of cherry wood, about the size of a D battery and it had plenty of smoke flavor.

The following 15 LB turkey took less than two hours at around 375*:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey.jpg (84.6 KB, 212 views)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade

Thanks THoey, good read on the dry brine.
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...-video-lecture
airedale is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Another vote for dry brine and spatchcock. Good luck.
Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like a dry brine with kosher salt and maybe some pepper 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time I'll "wet brine" with Oakridge BBQ Game Changer.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
IamMadMan

I prefer to use Cornell Chicken Sauce as my brine,which leaves the skin paper-thin and crispy.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
jbelson
Knows what a fatty is.

I've always found that brining makes the chicken too salty. Even if it's just a few hours. Even tried rinsing the skin off. anyone else?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
If it's enhanced, it's already brined, to me.
So... I think that I need a little education. Are you saying that some/most/all chicken is "enhanced" just like Butterball etc turkeys are? If so, I had no idea that this was being done. I usually buy "free range/antibiotic free" chicken (for whatever small bit of good that does me). If I am misinterpreting, my apologies. I've been learning a lot from hanging out here, and this may be another thing that I never knew. Thanks!
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Done tons of chicken.....never brined anything. Just rub it and cook it
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
2stroke250
Knows what a fatty is.

Half cup sugar quarter cup
Kosher salt about hr half for chicken pieces
Whole chicken about 3 hours
I brine all poultry and pork about her per pound rinse then rub
It gets the blood out of chicken and makes friends say that's the best I've ever had
2stroke250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakuv View Post
So... I think that I need a little education. Are you saying that some/most/all chicken is "enhanced" just like Butterball etc turkeys are? If so, I had no idea that this was being done. I usually buy "free range/antibiotic free" chicken (for whatever small bit of good that does me). If I am misinterpreting, my apologies. I've been learning a lot from hanging out here, and this may be another thing that I never knew. Thanks!
Itll usually say something about enhanced or a solution on the packaging. A lot of chicken is, especially whole birds and Turkey, but a lot isnt.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #14
seakuv
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Thanks for the clarification. I never knew that was done to chicken. Something to watch for.
seakuv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #15
Hoss

If you buy " grocery store chicken" it has already been brined.You can purchase "non enhanced" chicken at some stores and Farmers markets.Nothing wrong with throwing it( storebought) chicken in a ziplock overnight into the fridge with some herbs and seasonings for flavor.Most chicken is sold with an already enhanced solution added.They get the same money per pound for salt water as they do the chicken.When processing millions of pounds per day,it adds up.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote