MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

He didn't say they were actually 'dumb'....just 'playing dumb'. There's a difference.

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
He didn't say they were actually 'dumb'....just 'playing dumb'. There's a difference.
yup

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ya they aren't as well known as they seem here and that doesn't surprise me. As big as bbq is on this forum (sounds dumb saying that....which isn't hard for me ) a custom pit manufacturer that isn't well know all around the bbq world is common. And that statement doesn't just apply to SF.

They definitely are not known much on the "comp circuit" around me. I know a few teams that have used them, but it isn't much (one day I'll compete on mine just for giggles ). The last 3yrs we have done the charity vending at Sip & Swine (a big competition/event in GA in terms of teams and also public turn out) most teams/folks don't know what the hell I'm cooking on other than ones that, for some reason, follow me on FB . Don't get me wrong....when people see it they sure ask questions .

So with a 2yr waiting period, I'm not sure what it matters to Shirley's. Their company is what it is......which to me seems to be a bad ass fabricator that doesn't cut corners and won't expand their "manufacturing process" and just hire folks to get stuff out faster. If any small business had a guaranteed 2yr sales pipeline that just kept getting people to line up.......then yolo??

Old 05-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #19
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
Not sure I would say anyone doing comps but doesn't know about Shirley is dumb. I do about 10 a year and I've only seen a Shirley at 1 comp in the last 5 years I've been competing.
Same here - I've only ever seen 1 Shirley at 1 comp. I see lots and lots of Jambo's though.

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #20
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

All I can say after eet'in food off 2 of them (one in MS and one in TX) some of the best I've had.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #21
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've done all of 1 whole competition so my sample size is small, but I was in a fairly high foot traffic spot in a large comp and while I had lots of people stop by and ask me about it, none came by and said "oh look, a Shirley" *shrug* they have a look all their own so I'd probably be curious too if I hadn't heard of them before.

Saw lots of drums and Jambos though, which was no surprise.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #22
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

No doubt Jambos are out in full force on the comp circuit, but I'm kind of curious to know whether the Jambos that people say they see (in passing by) are not Jambos, but in fact, knock-offs/clones of a Jambo. Same goes with a Stumps. Those 2 unique designs have been copied a lot. I see some want-to-be Jambo pits out there and my first thought is "they copied Jamie's design'. (some are actually very good too. ) Who knows how many people may have actually seen a Shirley ,but not know it, due to the fact Shirley isn't yet a household name like Gator Pits, Klose, Backwoods, or Stumps.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #23
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I've only been on this site for 12-18 months, but based on the posts I've reviewed in that time, it seems many Brethren form a bit of a Shirley fan club. I've never heard folks wax so rhapsodic about smokers as I've seen in many of the Shirley threads and posts here. So I'm not surprised they may be far more known here than elsewhere.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

They are all the rage on this forum but I've only ever heard of them once elsewhere and that was a Reddit BBQ sub. I have also never seen one in person and I've also never even heard anybody mention them at competitions. Out here in North Carolina we tend to see a ton of Langs, drums, and a few IVC's. Lots of custom and home-built rigs as well, but I'm surprised some of you are saying they're popular on the competition circuit.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
They are all the rage on this forum but I've only ever heard of them once elsewhere and that was a Reddit BBQ sub. I have also never seen one in person and I've also never even heard anybody mention them at competitions. Out here in North Carolina we tend to see a ton of Langs, drums, and a few IVC's. Lots of custom and home-built rigs as well, but I'm surprised some of you are saying they're popular on the competition circuit.
Well, I wasn't saying, nor was I trying to imply that they are popular on the comp circuit. I was stating that it's quite possible there are some out there, that people just don't know they are. To some, a Shirley pit may just look like another bbq pit....with no name brand attached. My point being....if one has never heard of or seen a Shirley Fab pit....how does one know that they 'haven't' seen one?

Last edited by Demosthenes; 05-16-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #26
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Well, I wasn't saying, nor was I trying to imply that they are popular on the comp circuit. I was stating that it's quite possible there are some out there, that people just don't know they are. To some, a Shirley pit may just look like another bbq pit....with no name brand attached. My point being....if one has never heard of or seen a Shirley Fab pit....how does one know that they 'haven't' seen one?
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, but mainly a comment by BBQ Freak. All the Shirley's I've seen on this forum are branded... is that not always the case?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #27
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, but mainly a comment by BBQ Freak. All the Shirley's I've seen on this forum are branded... is that not always the case?
I didn't take it as directed to me only. My guess would be that the Shirley pits that go out the door do in fact have their tag/signature on their pits. But not 'always'...mine didn't. LOL! (over sight ...but mine will be in the mail next week if not sooner tho.) I guess I should have clarified when I mentioned about people 'seeing'....I meant in passing by/casual strolling and looking.....not as in stop and 'inspect' the cooker 'seeing' who it is made by. I guess I maybe missed the original intended point,.....of Shirley cookers not being recognized by the actual competing contestants....those who would be the ones closest to the action and those who interact closely with other teams, so yeah, I can see where it would appear that there is very little presence of Shirley Fab pits on the circuit. I think I'll just put my blinker back on now, and get back in my own lane.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #28
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Ill chime in for a moment..... i could give a hoot if we are known on any competition circuit.... trail or course.... that matters none what so ever to me at all .... Tyler could care less either..... we cater to people who want a high quality smoker .... well built at a reasonable price....we have developed our own cooker without copying anyone else which a true craftsman in my opinion develops and designs his own stuff...... the satisfaction i get is the friends we have made and the people we have been able to help.... i love veteran events.... cooking for causes that raise money.... and being able to help people in need... that is my passion.....ive had people in several places that have called and said i got reserve grad champion... or whatever..... i do not follow competition cooking and have no desire to..... a lot of our cookers are used for catering.... church events.... family events.... we build cookers for the money that hold large volumes meat..... not a 6000$$$ cooker that will hold 10 butts......can i build a cooker as slick as a jambo... or any other????? in a heartbeat.... it is not rocket science....our clientele is not the competition cook.... or a cooker with a 4000$$$$ paint job..... that is someone else niche not ours...... i'm going to New York in August to be involved in a cook for over a 1000 Veterans.... that is what i like....... funny thing is i was approached by A&E a few months ago and actually did a skype interview..... thing with me is this.... i aint putting a show on for nobobdy..... what you see with me is 100% me.....and is what you get..... take it or leave it......Naturally we are known on this site.... i'm on here everyday.... sometimes just reading and learning..........i have a lot of people on here that i call friends that through this whole process of building cookers i would have never met........ we are exactly where we want to be..... building cookers..... bass fishing.... deer hunting... cooking and spending time on the family farm...... life is good..... blessed more than i ever deserve.......and thx to everyone on this site...... for the biggest part there is nothing but a bunch of great folks.... with different opinions......that is what makes the world go round and round.......

After thinking a tad more.... what is most important to me is.... as birthdays just keep clicking by .....at the end when mine time clock has been punched for the last time is for my son to be able to say my "Dad" was a giver.... i've always told him there is only 2 types of people... Givers and takers..... takers will never give... it aint in em...... of course to hear the words... well done my good and faithful servant would be the ultimate goal......

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication

Last edited by TuscaloosaQ; 05-16-2018 at 06:12 PM..
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #29
PatAttack

^^^Can I get an Amen.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #30
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Amen - brings a tear to my eye reading that. wish I could afford one AND cut in line

Buddy of mine bought one a Shirley last year. He was going Gator pit- had a deposit ready and everything- and was happy with his decision. He had shopped Lang and several others. I asked him...did you call Shirley? He said Shirley who? I popped up their website and his eyes lit up... he took delivery of it last year. It's a thing of beauty. Folk who don't know Shirley don't know what they are missing... stone fact.