Want to build a new trailer cooker, need input

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My dad and I have a 4x8 trailer that's been in our back yard for a couple years. It used to be a jet ski trailer but all the parts that hold the jet ski have been removed. I want to turn it into a trailer cooker but I'm not sure what direction I want to take it in.

We already have three trailer cookers...

1) An old stick burning offset smoker on a trailer that is capable of cooking very large amounts of meat.
2) A homemade trailer with a large grille and griddle, propane powered, we used to use it to cook for a snack bar during high school football games.
3) A homemade trailer that holds a large barrel that was cut in half and laid sideways so it's just a big, mobile charcoal grill.

Now, for this new project I'm not really sure where I want to go with it. I'm thinking some sort of combination smoker/grill. I don't compete and I'm not a vendor, I'm building this because I have the trailer and want to work on a project. I do cookouts at different places for lots of people so I'll use it for hosting parties and stuff. Really though, it's just something to do, so I'm open to nearly any ideas. I've thought about a Santa Maria style grill just to have a huge cooking space for grilling but I don't know if I'd utilize it and I really want to explore my options.

My question to you guys, what would you build? Example pictures would be great for inspiration. I've searched for different trailer cookers but I haven't found anything that really grabbed me.

Is your offset large enough for a whole hog?

Sounds like you already have the major bases covered (large smoker, large grill, and a propane grill).

You could make a horizontal grill with a vertical smoker on one side.

Then again, I'd probably sell one of the other smokers and buy another truck :p to haul the stuff....or get you a dual axle trailer to hold it all.

Is your offset large enough for a whole hog?

Sounds like you already have the major bases covered (large smoker, large grill, and a propane grill).

You could make a horizontal grill with a vertical smoker on one side.

Then again, I'd probably sell one of the other smokers and buy another truck :p to haul the stuff....or get you a dual axle trailer to hold it all.

I can easily do a whole hog on the large offset smoker we have.

I was actually thinking of doing the hoirzontal grill and vertical smoker. I actually have the perfect tank to use as a grill and can get food grade barrels for cheap so that'd be a good plan of attack.

I don't want to sell any of the trailers. I have a truck and I just have fun with them cooking at parties and stuff. I don't need anything big enough that would require a double axle trailer, although that would be fun...

My first input would be to ask permission from the PB cause if I didn't, i would want to make sure that it had living quarters cause without her OK, I'm livin in there...

My first input would be to ask permission from the PB cause if I didn't, i would want to make sure that it had living quarters cause without her OK, I'm livin in there...

Not sure what PB stands for :confused: but from the context I assume you're talking about a significant other.

If that's the case, then I'm in the clear. I'm 24 and happily unmarried!

Not sure what PB stands for :confused: but from the context I assume you're talking about a significant other.

If that's the case, then I'm in the clear. I'm 24 and happily unmarried!

Yup PB=Pit Bitch...and if Momma aint happy, nobodys happy...
All I can tell ya at your tender young age is "RUN".......THEY WILL SUCK THE LIFE (and other stuff) FROM YOU UNTIL YOU END UP LIKE THAT ALIEN MOVIE WHERE THAT HUMAN/ALIEN GET'S SUCKED OUT THE WINDOW THROUGH THAT 2 INCH HOLE...

If you read this honey, I love you...:smile:

Back