If you could build only 1 smoker ?

L

LipSmackin

Hi, i'm trying to make up my mind on what pit to build, i found a metal junk yard and my heart just went ta racin, i would have sworn i felt a tear on my cheek...i was in heaven....bigggg steel pipes little steel pipes, flat iron, u name it they got it and its cheap, to me anyway....any kind of steel is 20 cents a lb no matter what...alumanumnum num is 60 cents...stainless is 75 cents....then there's what they call dirty stuff and something called 10% no clue, i just know i can't get this smile off my face....:-D...
sooo it looks like i can build whatever i want pretty cheap....they have an alumanum num num box about 3x6 but no door to it 2" insulation in it....i was thinking of building a smoker out of it stand it up with a steel firebox under it....any ideas? i was lusting after a big tank that was 1/2" steel no top r bottom just a pipe....i really like a stand up smoker soooo if you could build 1 smoker what would it be? design wise.

i have 3 already a home made block smoker and a stand up tank smoker and a weber, but just for fun lets pretend i don't have those....no my wife didn't buy that either....loll..ty for all comments...Billy :icon_bigsmil

ty alot guys...i was thinking again about useing that insulated box as a smoker, and i know all the electric smokers are insulated but why? its like turning ur heat on in ur house then opening ur door, all the heat goes out, in this case out the vent stack....soooo do i really need insulated? are just a nice piece of steel? and ty for all ur comments...

already built it, here it is

Attachments

• 100_2480.jpg
    100_2480.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 162
bentley we are working on your idea lol little different spin a 55 gal barrel laying on its side with a rotisserie! and running on pellets

If I could build only one I'd build a Macleod...

Then everyone would know it as the "Highlander"

Very interesting smoker need more picture like to see the backside. When I build one it always a stick burner. I just like to build them have several pieces of scrape justing waiting to turn into a cooker.

As popular as the UDS/BDS upright drums are.....I think I would check out a section of 24" pipe and do a vertical smoker. You could add tight fitting doors, one to add charcoal and one to remove ash.

dforbes, that is a fine lookin' rig ya got there!

if i could build one it would be vertical cabinet style with doors...and rotating shelves each just under half the depth of the cabinet.

I think this would be the most uniform cooking of everything.

Back