MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like this happened and somebody or a lot of somebodies got pissed and now you wanna know if you're in the wrong. First and foremost you are a pro team, I considered my team pro team before we even competed in our first event. From the time we started running practices and building practice boxes that would be the time we would have bowed out of AMs if we were doing them.

Now onto the guys who are pissed that a AM team had a ringer, it would be fine as long as he was just mentoring the two other guys, if they are using any of his/your teams equipment its crossed the line or as soon as he starts trimming or adjusting temps than he crosses the line IMO. If these guys wanted to learn how to run a pro team than they should have shadowed your team instead. I don't know the structure of this particular comp and the set ups of the other teams, but if you got 9 guys out there with a single kettle or wsm and a team with tables and a ez up and wash stations and a ringer those other 9 guys are gonna be pissed when you walk away with 77% of the cash. The only way to save face would be to donate the cash to a charity of the contest organizers choosing.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I think it depends on what the BY contest turn-ins are. Case in point, we have cooked 4 meat sanctioned events and a BY on the same day. The BY turn-ins were: burger, carne asada, salsa and chicken.

I had no moral/ethical problem cooking that BY event. If it was the same 4 meats as a sanctioned contest, I'd pass.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
chrisnjenn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Sounds like this happened and somebody or a lot of somebodies got pissed and now you wanna know if you're in the wrong. First and foremost you are a pro team, I considered my team pro team before we even competed in our first event. From the time we started running practices and building practice boxes that would be the time we would have bowed out of AMs if we were doing them.

Now onto the guys who are pissed that a AM team had a ringer, it would be fine as long as he was just mentoring the two other guys, if they are using any of his/your teams equipment its crossed the line or as soon as he starts trimming or adjusting temps than he crosses the line IMO. If these guys wanted to learn how to run a pro team than they should have shadowed your team instead. I don't know the structure of this particular comp and the set ups of the other teams, but if you got 9 guys out there with a single kettle or wsm and a team with tables and a ez up and wash stations and a ringer those other 9 guys are gonna be pissed when you walk away with 77% of the cash. The only way to save face would be to donate the cash to a charity of the contest organizers choosing.
Excellent post. It is like an NFL team playing a middle school team and then acting like they accomplished something great. It is an easy way for a "pro" team to lose any respect they had with their peers.
chrisnjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Que and a Half Men is a pro team, for sure. We see you guys everywhere. I mean, if you show up with your monster travel trailer with your team logo on the side, the backyarders may think you have done this before.

On the other hand, when Norwalk got cancelled at the last minute in 2011, we cooked an unsanctioned rib event in Pawtucket, RI because the organizer asked us to. He knew we were a pro team, and even asked us to display our awards because he wanted to make a big deal of out it with the local town.

In 2011, ribs were our worst dish, so we only finished in 2nd. The 1st place winners were thrilled to beat us, and they were from a local charity, so we were happy for them too.

I would also suggest that maybe an unsanctioned event might not be a slam dunk. Pawtucket hadn't even though about HOW judging would work at all. We gave them a few suggestions beforehand, but believe me...wasn't anything close to KCBS. Anything could happen, including the local judges knowing who the teams are and giving points to their buddies. (and since a number of BOD members read this: no we didn't give them any KCBS IP. )
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think this depends on a couple of things.

I think that there's a difference between a sanctioned backyard event and a non-sanctioned contest that allows any one to compete. The Cabella's contest in Maine comes to mind. It is a non-sanctioned contest that they put on and make it clear that it doesn't matter if this is your first ever contest or if you're a team that won the Jack last year. It's all fair game. To those types of contests, I say it's fair game considering every one competing knows, or should know, that there is the potential for "pro" teams to be there and should expect it.

However, contests like the Mann Orchards contest that clearly states on the application that it was an amatuer contest is a different story. I believe that this year they are going a step further and actually stating that if you have competed in 2 KCBS contests in the last year, you are not eligable to compete in their contest. If you showed up there to compete, then yes...you would be "that guy"!!!

If it is a KCBS contest that has both a "Pro" and a "Back Yard" division, and you've been competing on the other side of the fence and doing well, then no, you should not be competing in the back yard division. And I would expect that mentoring would be having a team member on standby to help the other team in regards to advice on technique and process, but not actually doing the cooking for them. Kind of sitting in the back ground and letting them do the process they think should be done, but advising on how to help them get the most out of their technique.

But, if you are "Que and a Half Men", then no, I would not expect to see you at a "sanctioned" back yard contest competing in it.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No for anything but a MBN event. You would be a beginner at a MBN competition and would fit right in to the Back Yard division.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

IMHO if this is an umsanctioned event with Joe Blow off the street judges with no training, then I would have to say that I really don't see what the advantage would be. If you make KCBS style Q for those judges, you just might be looking at a DAL
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Go with your gut feeling. If you compete in this BY deeliebob and win......when your going to bed thinking about it.......are you going to feel guilty or be happy that you beat the sh!t out of a bunch of guys (with Pitmaster stars in their eyes) that are there competing for the first time.

If your asking I think you already know the answer to your question.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #24
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

In my opinion you're pro. We've have a similar situation one of our team members and a friend of the team both have wanted us to cook amature events. We are by no means a big team, but we have won a couple awards and a small amount of $$. I tell them that to me once you hear your name and take $$, no matter how small the amount or insignifigant the award you are pro. Also in my little mind if you pay to enter a pro event, regardless of how you place you're saying your pro.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
BMinahan
Knows what a fatty is.

BBQ Brethren,
I first want to thank everyone who responded. Thank you for your opinions! Secondly, I tried to keep it simple, but in as all things, everyone on here is way too smart for that and was able to see that even though the questions were simple, the answer is somewhat complex based on circumstances.

A little history. Each year the Fraternal Club I and my teammates are from have an amateur smoke-off. One of my teammates was one of guys who started the contest and both I and my other teammate both got our BBQ bug on by cooking in previous events. The event does not prohibit Pro cooks, however the event attracts only amateurs. My personal definition of “amateurs” is a team or any member of a team that has not cashed more than $500 over the last 24 months.

Because of this and 18 other reasons, I decided NOT to cook this event this past weekend and Team Que and a Half Men would not participate. However, the teammate that helped start this event decided to cook on his own as Pitt Boss (OK with me!) and enlisted 2 other friends of our to help. He took 1st in 3 categories and 1st overall. Cashed $500 of the $650 in prize money. Total cost to cook the event was north of $500.00.

Now comes the politics! Some of the organizers feel that team Q1/2Men should have participated and that our (mostly directed at me) are “Pompous A$$holes” and feel that we think we are better than them by not competing. They also took offense to my teammate displaying Q1/2Men trophies and selling some T-Shirts and koozies to our local friends and family who don’t get to visit us on the circuit.

Others are pissed that Pro team/team member was allowed to cook and think that it was unfair of my teammate to cook the event. They feel he should know better and are disappointed.
At the end of the day, we are in a lose – lose situation. Even though my teammate was able to get two other involved (one wants to join our team) and he was able to win the event he founded, there is way too much bad for this to ever be good.

My advice to others – If you think you are a Pro, you are. Stay clear of the amateur events.
- Bill

Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #26
BMinahan
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Que and a Half Men is a pro team, for sure. We see you guys everywhere. I mean, if you show up with your monster travel trailer with your team logo on the side, the backyarders may think you have done this before.
Moster travel trailer??? Look whose talking!!! You could fit two of mine into yours! Ohh, that's right... The engine blew on yours. Now your slumming for a few events and my trailer looks like the Taj! LOL!

Hey! Great to see you all representing New England at the Jack. We're rooting for ya!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
BMinahan
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
You are ametuers. I can't wait to kick your ass in Seaside just like we did in Green Lane!

JK. Joking aside, stop by our spot on Saturday to hang out. We are cooking for our friends, family, and sponsors since this is our last comp of the season. You will get a chance to taste some 'real' award winning Q.
Too Funny! Green Lane was a really bad cook for us. We'll see what happens in a few weeks! LOL!

Will be sure to stop by. We drink Bud Light. Have plenty cause we're always thirsty. We need to celebrate your Green Lane sucess!

- Bill

Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMinahan View Post
BBQ Brethren,

Now comes the politics! Some of the organizers feel that team Q1/2Men should have participated and that our (mostly directed at me) are “Pompous A$$holes” and feel that we think we are better than them by not competing. They also took offense to my teammate displaying Q1/2Men trophies and selling some T-Shirts and koozies to our local friends and family who don’t get to visit us on the circuit.

Others are pissed that Pro team/team member was allowed to cook and think that it was unfair of my teammate to cook the event. They feel he should know better and are disappointed.
At the end of the day, we are in a lose – lose situation. Even though my teammate was able to get two other involved (one wants to join our team) and he was able to win the event he founded, there is way too much bad for this to ever be good.

- Bill
Sound like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Though if your teammate was cooking and not your team, then why were you selling team stuff if the team is not in the event. Seemed like if Q1/2Men are not involved, then the shirts and stuff should have stayed home.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
BMinahan
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Reply

Hind sight being 20/20 your probably right. The reasoning behind it was that we (Q1/2Men) are a Rockland, MA team, the event was at our club in Rockland, and many of our family and friends who attended the event have not seen first hand our accomplishments. My teammate has earned the bling and it was his decision to display it. They also have not had the opportunity to purchase any of our wares and my teammate wanted to make sure they had that opportunity.
- Bill

Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #30
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

So.........what got farked up on the 4th category?

Better luck next year.

All joking aside, as you said, it was a "lose/lose". That is too bad.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote