MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Sweet Corn is IN SEASON!!!

Sweet corn just coming into season here in N.E. Ohio ( I know a lot of you have been enjoying for some time now) - I have a few favorite ways of preparing (soaked in husk then on the grill - steamed - shucked and grilled - etc.) but am always looking for a new way so........what's everyones favorite method for this summer delicacy??
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Welcome to two months ago

My favorite way of serving sweet corn is to cut the kernels from the cob, blanch for about 4 minutes in boiling salt water, then rinse in cold water and set aside. When I am ready to serve, just saute in a little sweet cream butter, salt and pepper. Corn is cheaper than dirt around here, so we go through tons of it in summer time.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Jealous because I had to put up with shipped in "southern sweet corn" for 2 months!

I will be buying a bunch ears from the farm accross the street and then cutting the kernels off the cobbs for vac-packing and freezing so I will have some during our lovely 5-6 months of winter!
UDS
Moink Certified!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
jawquin
Got Wood.

Many ways to do corn on the cob. True up the stalk end and clip the silks off and the loose leaves. Throw em on the cooker. Depending on temp is when they will be done. A slight squeeze test till you get it mastered. Wanna go really out shuck em and wash and then get nice piece of aluminum foil. Rub mayoinaiise all over then sprinkle red pepper and chili powder on. Then sprinkle with parmecian cheese and wrap tight in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or smoker. Corn is great and plenitiful this time of year so experiment.
jawquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawquin View Post
Many ways to do corn on the cob. True up the stalk end and clip the silks off and the loose leaves. Throw em on the cooker. Depending on temp is when they will be done. A slight squeeze test till you get it mastered. Wanna go really out shuck em and wash and then get nice piece of aluminum foil. Rub mayoinaiise all over then sprinkle red pepper and chili powder on. Then sprinkle with parmecian cheese and wrap tight in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or smoker. Corn is great and plenitiful this time of year so experiment.
The mayo pepper and cheese sounds awsome! will try tomorrow night - Thanks!
UDS
Moink Certified!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
jawquin
Got Wood.

igolf2,

Found a pic of squared off stalk and and clip silk and leaves. I don't have any pics of the southern spicy kind.

jawquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

I'm liking the mayo, cheese, pepper thingy too. Corn aint quite made it into season here yet.

Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

Jawquin thats funny that u said to do corn with the mayo. i had a delivery guy tell me to use that exact recipe.. yet to try it but it is my little notebook of goodies

Tuck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Shuck it and remove the silk. Spiral wrap with thick cut bacon. Wrap in foil and throw it on the grill. 1/4 turn every 5 mins or so.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!

Last edited by yelonutz; 04-21-2011 at 01:47 AM..
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Local corn isn't ready yet, having to make do with that Californicated stuff-hit or miss!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

I live in Los Angeles and good corn is hard to come by. Even the stuff from the farmer's markets tastes manufactured.

Best corn I ever had was from a road side stand in Ohio near the Ohio River. We soaked it in a bucket of water for a couple of hours and put it on the BBQ grill. It was wonderful.
schellter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hmmm, we get pretty good corn up here in Northern California. I go out to Brentwood and hit the farmer's stands.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #13
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default igolf2...................:)-

Here's an idea I got from the street vendors in Nuevo Laredo.

Peel the husk back on your corn. Don't remove it, just clean off the silk, before you pull the husk back over the ear, slather a good heavy coating of Mayonaisse over the entire thing then pull the husk back up to cover the corn.(the vendors had gallons of Mayo on hand and shoved the corn into it to coat. )

There is no need to soak your corn, the Mayo does this, and you may not need S/P or butter. I use "Duke's" Mayo, but any will do. I haven't tried Miracle Whip, but it might be good too

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do,
have fun and SMOKE HAPPY
STAN aka bbqfans :)-
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
Northwoods Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite way is smoke roasted.

I de-husk, de-silk. Cut cobs in half and straighten ends (mini-cob style).

Prep grill along with steaks, lobster tail, etc...

Get a dish of melted butter, roll mini cobs in the butter before grilling (make sure to have a handful of your favorite smoking chips on the coals).

Throw corn on direct and get some sear on. Don't worry about the kernels taking on some color. It won't taste burnt at all. It will actually taste great. I converted my Mom of all people (straight up corn on the cob traditionalist) to this method. Once the corn takes on color, move to indirect and finish the rest of the meal (the aforementioned steaks and tails et al).

Serve at the table family style. Cristen cobs with another roll in the melted butter. Season each with a little salt and pepper, but also hit it with some finely grated Parmesan cheese.

If you do it right, it's a meal where you grunt. Anything primal like that, you know it's good.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
PIT BOSS
On the road to being a farker

I've never been a fan of grilled/roasted corn or the waterlogged junk you get at fairs.
I like mine steamed for about 8 min or so. then drowned in butter with salt and pepper. Maybe some grated cheese YUM
PIT BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote