Picnic Shoulder

K

kcquer

Just bought a 9# picnic shoulder(bone in). Looking for the more "ham like" finished product. Any guesses at hrs per #? Cooking it with a brisket so temps will be running on the cool side <225.

Wrap @ 160?

What's the proper temp to pull it off the cooker if looking for something more sliceable. Guessing 190.

Still has a nice hunk of skin on it, leave that on?

First one of these I've tried, any and all tips, hints or suggestions appreciated.

Butts I know! lol

Get some good Rub all over that thing and let set over night if you have the time. Some folks wash the meat, dry and brush with a light layer of Mustard for Rub to stick to. [That works alright] Bring it out covered and let get closer to room temp. [cold meat on a smoker is one of my No No's]

225 is perfect but use a water pan too.

Most likely will be close to 1.5 hours per pound.

Keep it Mopped every so often. [I like a Vinegar based]

I think the 190 will be closer to pulling it tempeture tho.

IMHO
peace and good luck!
mike

What PitPirate said!

It won't slice for crap. The shoulder has muscles running every which way. But, go for it -- look at 170-180 internal if you want to try and slice it. You could foil and let it rest a bit. Otherwise cook it like a pork butt.

It won't slice for crap. The shoulder has muscles running every which way. But, go for it -- look at 170-180 internal if you want to try and slice it. You could foil and let it rest a bit. Otherwise cook it like a pork butt.
It's bone in so I really held little hope for actually slicing, just looking for something a bit firmer in texture than my usual 200* butta butt.

If you want it closer to ham, then I would inject with a ham cure. I would smoke at a lower than normal pit temp and pull at an internal 175 to 180º max.
Jim

Next time get a fresh ham (also called a green ham) and cook it bone-in. There will be a lot more sliceable meat. Of course you pay many more $$$ for ham vs. shoulder.

Shoulders are really a mess to try and carve. I'd recommend cooking it to 180 or so then just bone out the larger pieces and slice them. You will have to contend with the cartilege and connective tissureJust run your knife down the bone and see if you can get some decent shaped chunks to carve.

The "leftover" bones and meat will make great soup or beans.

DFLittle said:
The "leftover" bones and meat will make great soup or beans.

YOU tell that to my Dog. I triple dog dare you.

peace

Scott:

Ditto what David said about the bones.

As far as the skin is concerned, definately skin it. Grill it and treat it to your dog; Seriously. The dog can have the bones too; after you're done with them.

Picnics have enough fat content in the meat to keep it moist. I've used Morton's Tender quick and brined for several days with very good ham-like results throughout . I've also just applied rubs overnignt. Foiling towards the end and cranking up the heat will both speed up cook times and reduce excess fat.

kcquer said:
Just bought a 9# picnic shoulder(bone in). Looking for the more "ham like" finished product. Any guesses at hrs per #? Cooking it with a brisket so temps will be running on the cool side <225.

Wrap @ 160?

What's the proper temp to pull it off the cooker if looking for something more sliceable. Guessing 190.

Still has a nice hunk of skin on it, leave that on?

First one of these I've tried, any and all tips, hints or suggestions appreciated.

Saw on TV Food show, competition guys standing'em up and pouring in/on their rub and then folding over that extra skin, of coursed they didn't ask the guys why they were doing that:!: :roll:

I'm all about saving the bones and extras for making beans (with cornbread). Eat it with butter, some sliced onion, turnip greens and corn relish on the side.

Yeah, my folks were from South of the Mason-Dixon. :lol:

About the best I ever see. Can usually find them for $1.29-$1.49.

Now I have got to brag, living in Old Virginia I can get picnic's for .59# hams .79# and we are talking Smithfield's. However Bostons still cost $1.29 go figure.

Trout

willkat98 said:
Looks like I'll try one.

Greg, it was a Jewel ad I saw, so you should get the same price too. (you too bbqneo)

Come back and tell us what you think about it compared to a butt. I've done one, and I just wasn't as impressed as I was with the "butta meat".

Come back and tell us what you think about it compared to a butt. I've done one, and I just wasn't as impressed as I was with the "butta meat".

I cooked a lot of picnics back in my offset on the gasser days. Back then I didn't know squat about prep or rub, the only therm I had was a insta read and all I used it for was checking if stuff was safe to eat. I always enjoyed them, definitely not a boston, but more like what I think of getting on my plate at a whole hog roast. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. Gonna have to fix some of Mike's vinegar sauce to go with it.

Mark gave on vote for skin off. Anybody else have an opinion? Have left it on for now as the Mrs was fairly adamant about leaving it on. She said I could take it off if you guys said so. I was thinking as it is only on one side I could cook it skin side down and use it like the fatcap on a brisket as a protective layer, although a shoulder won't be near so prone to drying.

Back