Made ABTs 4 ways- results were mixed

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
As thread title suggests, I made four different types of ABTs this weekend. They were all made using a filling of cream cheese with chive & onions, fresh garlic, & shredded monterey jack cheese. Stuffed some with shrimp, real crab meat, andoullie sausage, and made some that were just plain.

Results: Overall, they tasted great. It's kinda hard to screw up ABTs. But I will concur along with some others that have posted this sentiment: The crab and shrimp were not all that much additive. We could taste them, but it pretty faint. The shrimp & crab kinda got lost in the mix. The cajun ones were a bit different as the andouille definitely added a distinct flavor.

Not sure I would go the expense & hassle of adding the shrimp & crab next time around. I mean they were good, but the seafood taste did not really shine through...

Here are a coupla pics. For the cajun ones, I bought some andouille sausage and quartered the individual links, then cut those in half. They seemed to fit the peppers pretty decently using this tactic.

Attachments

• ABT prep.jpg
    ABT prep.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 125
  • ABTs cooking.jpg
    ABTs cooking.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for posting the pics for your ABTs. I tried some for the first time last week after hearing about them on this forum. Made mine the simple way for the first time.

Thanks for the advice not to complicate them and add other ingredients that may cost more and not add anything tasty. I will make them again. They were indeed tasty.
Here's what mine looked like from last week
picture.php

I agree with you on the shrimp and crab meat.....they tend to get lost. I've been on a chorizo kick lately with ABTs.......it holds up well.

My go to is simple...brown some breakfast sausage, preferably hot, toss some diced onion in there if I have it and a little minced garlic too. Drain grease and add sausage mixture to softened plain Philly cream cheese. Mix in another type of cheese if there is any in the fridge. This past weekend it was the above combo plus smoked Gouda. Always wrapped in bacon of course!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For crab, I have found that doing almost a crab cake filling made with blue crab and a little cheese makes them much better. You get plenty of crab flavor that way.

I’ll take a plate, and a plate to go.

Back