MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete
Default First Whole Hog on Meadow Creek TS250

So we bought a TS250 today for my brother and I to get our catering side hustle off the ground. Of course in true spirit my family is requesting we do a whole hog during our family vacation at the shore in a couple weeks. I've been doing some research, but was hoping to create some do's and dont's in one place that I could easily access. Also, I didn't find that much consistent info. More like one person doesn't this, another does that, etc.

So, probably going to get the Meadow humming along at 250 with a basket of Kingsford Blue and some applewood and see how she goes. Inject the hams/butts with an apple juice mixture and probably rub it down with Plowboys as I have a ton of it. Also will place it skin side up. I'll ballpark to run it for 1.5 hours or so per ten pounds until the hams hit 195-198.

So I ask my stick burner brethren, anyone have other thoughts? How's my aim?

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I didn't over think the first one I did last year with some friends. We injected similar to what you mentioned, seasoned up and chucked it on the smoker. Cooked until the butts/hams were probing smoothly (in your range) and at 300'ish a 90lb'er was done in about 10hrs.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I didn't over think the first one I did last year with some friends. We injected similar to what you mentioned, seasoned up and chucked it on the smoker. Cooked until the butts/hams were probing smoothly (in your range) and at 300'ish a 90lb'er was done in about 10hrs.
Thank you! We're only going to be feeding 15 people, so I'm thinking a 30lb suckling pig should do the trick.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Hey Pedro....good luck with the hog!!! BTW....which shore town are you going to?
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdiii View Post
Hey Pedro....good luck with the hog!!! BTW....which shore town are you going to?
Ill be in Cape May on the Delaware Bay side. My parents retired down there, so it's a great cheap vacation getaway.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

If you are looking at doing a side hustle for Q, well, then presentation matters as well as the quality of the food. For a good video on how to do pigs, both suckling and whole hog, Malcolm Reed does two videos on youtube that are great instructional ones for how to do it and make it look great. I am not sure of the rules for posting content off of this site, so I'll just tell you to google Malcolm Reed and suckling pig or whole hog. He has one video for each. Watching those videos I want to get a big smoker and give it a whirl.

I have suckling pig envy for sure. Good luck. I think you'll do awesome.
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekked View Post
If you are looking at doing a side hustle for Q, well, then presentation matters as well as the quality of the food. For a good video on how to do pigs, both suckling and whole hog, Malcolm Reed does two videos on youtube that are great instructional ones for how to do it and make it look great. I am not sure of the rules for posting content off of this site, so I'll just tell you to google Malcolm Reed and suckling pig or whole hog. He has one video for each. Watching those videos I want to get a big smoker and give it a whirl.

I have suckling pig envy for sure. Good luck. I think you'll do awesome.
Thank you! Was reading his recipes on suckling pigs this morning, just haven't had time for the videos today. I've learned a lot from Malcolm. He was one of our biggest resources when we were really getting into this.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
tnev35
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Thomas
Default Whole Hog

I had done my first whole hog this past Saturday. 116 pounds splayed on a stretcher. Took about 12 hours, brined for about 36 hours. Used a burn barrel, apple and hickory and a little kingsford when needed. I hope to post some pictures soon.
tnev35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
Ill be in Cape May on the Delaware Bay side. My parents retired down there, so it's a great cheap vacation getaway.
Nice!!! My Mother-in-law has a house in Lavalette. It was destroyed by Sandy and is being rebuilt. Hope to get back into it by the end of August.
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdiii View Post
Nice!!! My Mother-in-law has a house in Lavalette. It was destroyed by Sandy and is being rebuilt. Hope to get back into it by the end of August.
Damn! Sorry to hear. Sandy was a nightmare. Aside from some garage flooding my parents were fine. Thank god they were protected a little on the bay side and it hit a little farther north. Good luck with the rebuild

Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Got her done last week! Now that I'm back at work after a week of beach vacation and feel like I want to kill myself, here are the pics...She was a 33lb suckling pig I got from Westside Market in Cape May, NJ. Ran the Meadow Creek at 225-250 burning cherry wood and a bag of KBB to start. It held temp great once it got up there. Super easy to use.

Prepping - Trimmed out anything that looked "gross." The kidneys were still in there, so out they went as well as a good amount of silverskin and blood clots.

Seasoned her up with some Plowboys/MeatChurch Gospel and injected with an apple juice/brown sugar/soy sauce injection

Set her up in the TS250

2 Hour check

3.5 hour check

7 hours in and the hams/shoulders hit temp. 195 in the shoulders, 185 in the hams.

In all her glory. Couldn't not do the full presentation with the fruits/veg/kale

Time for Pickin'

Last edited by Pedro7; 08-13-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Holy Cow! That's beautiful!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Fantastic! Great color, you made it look easy
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

wow. what a great looking pig. looks like a textbook example of how to bbq. I have serious pig envy right now. how did it taste? I'm assuming wonderful
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
V1VRV2
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Looks great, I'm going to do my first whole hog on my Shirley this fall at my fishing camp in south Louisiana. Thanks for the pictures!