MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #316
rawtalent
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post

$7.50 is a really good price for a cover. Let us know what cover it is, in case someone doesn't want to spend almost $30 on the Char-Griller one :)

Jay
I don't have the bag the cover came in anymore. The recipt just says smoker/kettle cover. It was $7.97. The side shelves need to be folded down to use it.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #317
rawtalent

I made 10 lbs of Hot links this morning and had a 4lb chunk of bone in butt left so I just had to try low and slow on the Acorn. Filled the firebox 1/3 full with lump and started 1/3 chimney and dumped it on top. The clay flower pot base from the WSM was bigger than I wanted so I took the bottom grate out of the wsm and put it in the Acorn with a foil wrapped pizza stone on top. Dome therm reads 215, probe therm at grate reads 226. Been riding there for an hour. Both vents are just barely open.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #318
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtalent View Post
I made 10 lbs of Hot links this morning and had a 4lb chunk of bone in butt left so I just had to try low and slow on the Acorn. Filled the firebox 1/3 full with lump and started 1/3 chimney and dumped it on top. The clay flower pot base from the WSM was bigger than I wanted so I took the bottom grate out of the wsm and put it in the Acorn with a foil wrapped pizza stone on top. Dome therm reads 215, probe therm at grate reads 226. Been riding there for an hour. Both vents are just barely open.
Sounds like it is going to be a great low and slow! Let us know how it performed when you are done as inquiring minds want to know things like this
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #319
briantompo
Found some matches.

Out of the box, mine had several leaks on the adhesive-side of both gaskets plus the lower vent. I fired it up anyway just to see what the temps would do and about the lowest it could hold was 290ish with the bottom completely closed and the top vent just cracked at 1/2.
Next day I ran a continuous bead of Permatex Ultra Black around both gaskets and behind the lower vent. The numbered slots don't leak into the firebox like I initially thought but I excluded them anyway by running a bead of RTV around the vent opening before I screwed the vent back on.
Results..? It now holds 240ish with the lower vent at 1 and top vent just less than 1 and snuffs out quickly when I close it down after cooking. The loose fit of the sliding lower vent could likely be improved but I'm OK with the Akorn's performance for now. Building a fire in a qt-sized clay pot showed promise for even lower temps. Here's a few shots of the RTV and yes, it will likely be a messy PITA if I have to replace a gasket.
Ribeyes, chicken and breakfast fatty were tasty last week. Pizza this week if I can nip the corners off my square stone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lower gasket.jpg (108.6 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg lid gasket.jpg (152.6 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg lid gasket 2.jpg (117.4 KB, 492 views)
briantompo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #320
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqchicken View Post
I can't get this kamado out of my mind. Will the price go up or down before summer?
Stop by your local post office and pickup one of the moving packets. There is a 10% anything at Lowes coupon inside.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #321
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I ran across this version at Gander Mountain the other day. It's pretty much the same unit as the one sold at Lowes but it has a metal vent on top rather than plastic and GM wants $349.00 for it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #322
Smoker101

I think the new grills with the metal side tables are metal just a different color...??

Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #323
Rys06TBSS

So these new kookers have metal shelves? My Red kooker is wooden. Also does the new grill have a cast top vent instead of stainless?
Rys06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #324
rawtalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06TBSS View Post
So these new kookers have metal shelves? My Red kooker is wooden. Also does the new grill have a cast top vent instead of stainless?
Mine, from Lowe's, has metal side shelves. I think the top vent is cast, not plastic.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #325
Rys06TBSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtalent View Post
Mine, from Lowe's, has metal side shelves. I think the top vent is cast, not plastic.
So are they metal slats or just like the keg shelves... My wood cracked and looks bad now.
Rys06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #326
rawtalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06TBSS View Post
So are they metal slats or just like the keg shelves... My wood cracked and looks bad now.
Slats.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #327
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantompo View Post
Next day I ran a continuous bead of Permatex Ultra Black around both gaskets and behind the lower vent.
You think the Permatex Ultra Black being rated at 500° max is sufficient?
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #328
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the only air leak I can find and it's a pretty big one too but I don't know how it could be sealed and still allow the damper to slide.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #329
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default Seasoned Grate

I seasoned my CI grate yesterday and today. Total of three cycles. Had to be real careful cause the temps wanted to soar, but it is now a nice shinny black! Hopefully non stick too.

She is slow to cool down but will eventually stop. Not too many leaks, and is about what I expected.

I hope to do a first cook on Thurs.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #330
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheppsBBQ View Post
Hmm... I work at Lowe's and a customer just returned a Kamado only because they couldn't put it together. I have a chance to buy it on "clearance" if the wife lets me get another grill. I'm gonna talk to a manager and see what kind of deal I can get. Should I go for it?
Yes

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado