• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini Uds or Regular UDS

Fezikk

Reaction score
so ive got a decision to make, i have a 15 galon metal drum, should i make a mini Uds, or get a 55 galon drum and make a regular one? with the mini ill go buy a Smokey Joe and use the whole thing, and if i make a regular UDS ill get a webber top for it. do they cook differently? cook for same times?

Go big! 55 gallon was good for me a for a while (single grate mod) but I needed to expand my capacity after only six months or so. I can only imagine after all the work it takes to build one that with a 15 gallon version you would want more space pretty quick. Or, build both and you'll have options at least.

Definitely both!:thumb: I really want to get a Cajun Bandit conversion for a Smokey Joe for small cooks. It seems wasteful to load up a regular size WSM sometimes for just a chicken. A small one like that removes that dilemma.

I have them all, and its no harder to light and use the 55, and for some reason, my 55 seems to use less fuel than my 30. go figure.
Plus, I can spatchcock a whole turkey and lay it flat on the 55...nice.
two if I want (two racks)

I have them all, and its no harder to light and use the 55, and for some reason, my 55 seems to use less fuel than my 30. go figure.
Plus, I can spatchcock a whole turkey and lay it flat on the 55...nice.
two if I want (two racks)
Wow, didn't see that coming. Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

okay, so both it is, ill build the mini one first though. when i add the smokey joe, is the intake on the smokey joe enough for the smoker, or do i need to enlarge the hole or add a ball valve to the drum? and is the vent enough for the drum. also when building the firebox that too needs to be stainless correct?

I have 3 different sizes...they all somewhat work the same.
The Small and the Medium are quicker on temp I think.
All 3 of them have the same sort of intake (according to the NorcoRedneck Tutorial)...the Large UDS has bigger holes for the intake.
Charcoal basket doesn't need to be SS but if you have the material.....

Oh yeah...build both!:becky:

I'd say make the big one. As efficient as the original UDS are, I can't see a mini saving you THAT much money in relation to how much cooking space you loose. really I might use 5lbs of coal on a 12 hour smoke. The Mini drum is going to save you what, $1-2 a cook? Build the UDS first and then build the mini later.

I say do both, but do the 15 first since you have the drum and there's very little work in it if you incorporate the Smokey Joe grill. Once you get that complete (which should be within the week) you can start plans for a 55UDS. In the mean time you'll be enjoying foods fresh from your 15mUDS.

another vote for both. my 3 favorite girls:

40637_1561166674685_1400856699_31452118_4287239_n.jpg

uds choices

make both u can give the small one away, kike i did. My small one was
a 30 gal. lots of fun and worked like a charm. I would not use the ball valve, I found that a 1 inch pipe w a magnet on top is less expensive
and I didnt like the fact that some ball valves are kinda hard to turn
making the whole barrel move when adjusting. Just saying.

...I didnt like the fact that some ball valves are kinda hard to turn

True.
I grab the handle of the lid and put a little pressure on the mini...then I adjust the valve with my toe.
My mini has a ball valve at the bottom.

Did someone already say both?? :p

I have a mini and a full size and I use both of them!
You already know all the great stuff about the reg UDS, so here's what I love about the mini...

If you're headed out camping (or tailgating), you'll prolly take a grill anyways - the smokey joe is the perfect size for that! What's that?? You'd like to toss a butt on while you're off foraging for roots & berries in the forest? Good thing you did the mUDS mod to that SJ!

I think the consensus is that you'll get about 5+ hours of burn with out any sort of charcoal basket in the bottom (just use the lower charcoal grate as if you were grilling) and 6+ hours if you have a basket for it. I used a 6" wide strip of expanded metal (not SS) and formed it into a circle, no bolts or welding and it stays in it's shape just fine. Just set it on the charcoal grate.

I have the SJ silver (vents on the sides) and was really worried that it would either get way too much air (vents don't close very tight) to keep the temps down in the 250 range or that it wouldn't get enough air since the vents are above the charcoal grate level.
Wasn't even an issue - the sucker cranks along at 250 rock solid with the vents barely cracked and I can also close them completely and put the fire out if I want to.

Adding fuel is really easy, just lift the upper barrel portion off the kettle base and dump fuel in and replace the barrel, takes less than 30 seconds.

The draw backs - yeah it's small, you won't be cooking for a crowd with this thing, but that's not what it's meant for anyways...
Burn time, not going to get the long burns that the full size does, but IMO - 5 to 6+ hours is pretty dang good for a small fella like that and adding fuel is so easy, who cares right?

Let us know how the build goes!

make both u can give the small one away, kike i did. My small one was
a 30 gal. lots of fun and worked like a charm. I would not use the ball valve, I found that a 1 inch pipe w a magnet on top is less expensive
and I didnt like the fact that some ball valves are kinda hard to turn

??...Uuhhmmm, what the heck kinda ball valves did you try that move a whole drum? sorry brother but mine operate like butter.

Attachments

• UDS30 DG Valve.jpg
    UDS30 DG Valve.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 65
??...Uuhhmmm, what the heck kinda ball valves did you try that move a whole drum?

my guess is he was talking when they stick out the side perpendicular...or is it horizontal. dunno. just prolly not like you have yours - vertical.

can see where a tight unit would case problems. that what she said.

when i build the MUDS if i understand right, i can place charcoal on the bottom of the smokey joe, just like as if i were using it as a grill? if i understand right thats what it sounds like. how far from the top can the grate go? and does anyone know the overal height they are getting from grill grate to top of smoker? and then i was looking at the wood chips they sell at HD, and they are just that chips not chunks. i found the cherry and apple chips, but they are little, do they need to be soaked in water before i place them on the smoker? i was going to build a firebox was wondering if anyone had built one for a Muds, and wanted to know dimensions.

Back