Question about temp control on UDS

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Smoking some ribs right now got to the foil stage opened the top and immediately the coals caught fire closed the lid with the ribs foiled and the fire went out but the temps sky rocketed was cooking at 250 temp is now at 350. Closed intakes nothing has changed yet. Anyone reccomend how to change this in future. And what I can do to get temp down ASAP.

Try "burping" the UDS. Open the lid quickly to let out some heat a couple of times over a period of about 5 minutes. Keep the intakes closed too for a while. When the temp stabilizes back to where you want it, begin to open up the intakes ever so slightly.

Temps have dropped 50 degrees now. But hardly any smoke is coming out of the drum could the coals be out due to shutting the intakes down? When it gets to right temp should I open intake.

Try shaking your charcoal basket to knock some of the ash off. Open up your intakes when it gets to temp.

How big is your charcoal basket and how much briqs or lump are you using to cook these Ribs?

Let me guess?

I give up!

But you should consider making a small basket about the size of a Weber chimney and use it for short cooks like ribs and chicken.

100_1717.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

5 or 6 pounds of charcoal is all I need for a typical Rib cook in my Drums.

Get yourself in the habit of lifting the grate of meats out of the drum and foiling, etc. on a table and not leaving the lid off for any amount of time.

I always try to shut down the intakes a few minutes before opening the lid. This isn't always the case and temps will flare at times. Usually they will come back down with time. I would definitely open your intakes up just a bit and as temps fall open back to where they were to catch the temps before they fall.

I do like colonel00 does and shut down the intakes before removing the lid. as soon as I pull the ribs off to foil them, I replace the lid immediately. I do the same after foiling them to replace onto the grate. In other words, the less time the lid is off, the less time there is for the temps to soar. As long as the lid it off, there is a lot of air flowing around the coals and this allows the temps to really build.
If you do happen to close the intakes, just don't forget to re-open them. Don't ask. :oops:

Well that makes a lot of sense I have been leaving the lid off completely till I put them back on. Noob mistake.

Well that makes a lot of sense I have been leaving the lid off completely till I put them back on. Noob mistake.

and there ya go. :thumb:
No reason to shut down the intakes. Open the lid, do your business and close it, temps will stabilize within 10 minutes.

Yeppers, have the lid off for very long allows that rush of air (and wide open exhaust) to make the temps soar.
And, that's a mistake anyone can make. UDS cooking is relatively easy, but even then, there's a learning curve.

My UDS behaves completely different. I can leave the top open for a full minute and will not experience a spike in temp. In fact, if I need to go from 225F to 350F I need to open all intake vents (four 3/4" vents in my case) and leave the top open for several minutes to get the coals in the basket going. Honestly, I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Back