Another best charcoal briquette thred...

I believe the Brethren's consensus is:
- Stubb's is the bomb, the only one to use
- KBB is loaded with nuclear waste fillers
- Don't use briquettes, use lump as it runs hotter with less ash
- Don't like lump, runs too hot and the pieces are not uniform in size
- KBB is most consistent and you can really load up during the holiday sales
- KBB smells terrible
- Stubb's has an off-putting smell and takes longer to ash over
- Royal oak is the best one out there
- Check out Trader Joe's brand
- Who uses charcoal, use splits

Edit. Sorry forgot a few:
- Kingsford Comp is better than Stubb's
- Stubb's is better than Kingsford Comp
- Kingsford Comp and Stubb's are about the same
- Stubb's produces much less ash than KBB
- Why buy charcoal when you can make your own?

You left out Match Light,...just sayin. :tsk:

In the past Month I have tried all these in my gravity feed

KBB, Kingsford Comp, Royal Oak lump and Royal Oak Briqs

Flavor wise I haven't noticed a difference between any of them

The only difference has been the ash that is produced between them.

So in the End , I've loaded up on the Walmart Backyard Grill ( Royal Oak Ridge) Briquettes. They burn well and cheap . $5 for 16 or so pounds of it.

I am also liking the back yard charcoal also

It's really what you get used to,
I like Royal Oak lump,
Great smell, and lights easily.
And can get it at Home Depot right down the street

What about academy's outdoor gourmet ridge briquettes. I have been told they are made by royal oak and repackaged. They are cheap too. $5.99 for 16 lbs and they have a 2 pack even cheaper and go on sale from time to time

Kingsford is the best because they sell it at the corner Exxon station down the street..

Asking for recommendations on what brand of charcoal to use is like asking folks what kind of truck to buy. There's always going to be chevy, ford or dodge folks. Each person chooses their brand based on different criteria and expectations. Personally, I'm usually hauling Kingsford Professional in the back of my chevy truck when I drive home from Costco....but if I saw a ford with the right price, reviews, and features I wanted....who knows, I might switch.

I use KBB because I can get if for about half the price of Stubb's and I don't notice any difference at all and I don't like lump for my WSM.

i switched from kbb to stubbs to heb grand champion. i can get the HEB GC at about $.48/LB regular price and $.36/LB when it goes on sale. i would like to try the Trader Joe's but the closest store is about an hour away. Do It Best is about 45 minutes away. I have HEBs all around me. those of you in Texas might want to give the HEB stuff a try.

Asking for recommendations on what brand of charcoal to use is like asking folks what kind of truck to buy. There's always going to be chevy, ford or dodge folks. Each person chooses their brand based on different criteria and expectations. Personally, I'm usually hauling Kingsford Professional in the back of my chevy truck when I drive home from Costco....but if I saw a ford with the right price, reviews, and features I wanted....who knows, I might switch.

Hahahaha I knew I would get a variety of answers, but just wanted to see what the opinions were.

I picked up two bags of Ember's Brand Briquettes (made by, and looks exactly the same as Royal Oak Ridge) from Home Depot for $5.99/16lb bag. I'll let you know how they do this weekend.

Been using Stubbs, mostly because it produces a lot less ash, and im lazy when it comes to cleaning out the ash from my smoker. Backwoods Fatboy here.

coshell are the best briquettes i've ever used, and it's not close.

In my opinion of the stuff I can get I rank them royal oak chef select first, kingsford competition second and stubbs third. They are ranked that way because I cook with my nose and of those three chef select smells the best while burning. I don't know what's happened to stubbs in the last year but I'll be danged if it doesn't take forever to get tbs running the minion method nowadays. And even then the smell is kinda off.

So....

1.Chef select natural briquettes by royal oak
2. Kingsford competition
3. Stubbs
4. All the other briquettes from kingsford, royal oak, embers ect.

.....I'm glad this was just briqettes. If it was lump it gets harder.lol

In my opinion of the stuff I can get I rank them royal oak chef select first, kingsford competition second and stubbs third. They are ranked that way because I cook with my nose and of those three chef select smells the best while burning. I don't know what's happened to stubbs in the last year but I'll be danged if it doesn't take forever to get tbs running the minion method nowadays. And even then the smell is kinda off.

So....

1.Chef select natural briquettes by royal oak
2. Kingsford competition
3. Stubbs
4. All the other briquettes from kingsford, royal oak, embers ect.

.....I'm glad this was just briqettes. If it was lump it gets harder.lol

I'm sure old news to everyone here, but Cowboy bought stubbs charcoal. I've become a huge fan of ROCS. I suggest to anyone to perform this test at home to compare Stubbs and ROCS . . . fill a chimney with stubbs and dump (keyword dump) when top layer is ashed. Do the same with ROCS. My results are startling. Bottom third of the stubbs briqs are marble size. ROCS is almost all original size. I suspect it has a lot to do with the ridge shape of ROCS vs stubbs round size. And then measure time/temps.

Back