Going with BDS, good to go?

T

tradhunter

Guys,

In the next week or so I want to buy my first smoker. I am almost ready to get a Big Drum Smoker Standard Model (one rack). BDS seems to get good reviews and Rocky has been great answering my questions.

I really have two questions for you all. 1) Are there any smokers in that same price range I should be considering that have benefits over the BDS? (I was looking at the entry level Lane Smoker, but it just seemed to be to heavy to get onto my deck.)

2) For any of you that own a BDS, should I get the Standard with two grates? I am not sure I want to mess with pulling out the first one to turn the meat on the second, but doubling meat capacity is intriguing.

I apologize if there is a New Guy Sticky somewhere and I have not read it. If there is one please point me in its direction

I own a BDS. The standard 2339 with one rack. Awesome smoker, glad I bought it.
You can buy another rack and some stainless bolts to add yourself for half of what Rocky charges.

I have BDS clones, I wish I had your money!

But that is how much I admire the BDS, so much that I built a 1427, two 2339-2's and a 2739-2.

I like to cook on the higher rack, and would rather use a couple drums if I'm cooking quantity than fill up both grates, but that's just me.

Rocky has certainly done the research and test cooks on his products, you can't go wrong on this one.

I have the Jumbo BDS which comes with 2 racks. Although I have needed and have used both racks simultaniously I prefer to just use the top. The bottom can be used also with great success but you need to be on top of moving the meat around because they will not cook at even times. That being said, Rocky is great to work with and I do believe the BDS is worth the money. I hope to buy a standard size model in the near future for comps.

Back