Low Temp question

Cris

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, my brother asks me if I can help him with some homemade bacon. Of course I'm interested. So he tells me his recipe calls for 3 hours of smoke at 150. Hmm. How do I do that in my 18.5 WSM? Lit 5 briquettes and that's it? Will I need to minion(yes, I used that word as a verb) to get the 3 hour cook time? Any thoughts from the more experienced folks here?

I wouldn't have thought you'd need minion for that, just keep it indirect and add a few coals at a time as and when they're needed

Bacon is Cold smoked. Light a modest fire with 3 chunks of hickory for flavor and us the waterpan with cold water.

Bacon is Cold smoked. Light a modest fire with 3 chunks of hickory for flavor and us the waterpan with cold water.

Looking for an idea of what a modest fire is? At this temp, how much does outside ambient temperature matter? We are in the midst of the 7 days of summer weather in Canada.

I use a ProQ cold smoke generator for bacon etc, I believe the equivalent product your side of the pond is the amaze-n-smoker

Looking for an idea of what a modest fire is? At this temp, how much does outside ambient temperature matter? We are in the midst of the 7 days of summer weather in Canada.
about 5 briquettes and 1 every 45 min

Back