cooking for my grandmothers wake 70+

arch

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
i am doing pulled pork sandwiches and chicken thigh and drums. i am also doing a potato salad what else and should i make i was thinking 40lbs or so of uncooked pork but and 70 leg and thighs? i am already starting to prep since it will be this Saturday. any and all help would be most appreciated

Your good to go but have at least 40lbs so if you are at 37lbs go ahead and get another butt if the numbers fall that way.

I always cook a bit more as you may have a few more mourners.
I am very sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

no recs, but sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

Potato salad, beans, macaroni and cheese, corn bread, etc......always good for a funeral. Remember, if your grandmother was up there in age some or most of her friends may not have teeth. Not trying to be funny, but it's true. So ribs are not a good idea unless they're tender. So make sure your pork is tender.

Older ladies typically do not care for a bun, and typically do not eat a full 4oz portion.

If this is for the wake/visitation/viewing, folks will eat light. Smaller portions, such as sliders, work well.

If this is following the funeral/memorial service, expect 50% of attendees to stay for the meal, not including the family. Also depends on if this is a morning or afternoon service.

Back