KCBS Pork Rule

Lopping the money muscle off a pork butt is not trimming. Stating that it's a cold hard fact and putting an exclamation point at the end doesn't change reality. If you go to get your hair trimmed and they cut it all off or give you a Mohawk I'm pretty sure you'd have a strong case in court against the barber.

That would depend on what trim means to me and the barber. Just saying that it is so open to interpretation that it will happen and I don't really see anything that can be done about it as it is allowed by rule.

That would depend on what trim means to me and the barber. Just saying that it is so open to interpretation that it will happen and I don't really see anything that can be done about it as it is allowed by rule.

Since nobody is policing any of this stuff anyway it's probably happening now. I guess that's an argument for another day.

I find this whole discussion laughable. Tell cooks what they can turn in, for any meat, or award points for creativity. I'd like to see KCBS encouraging cooks to be more creative versus adhering to the standards (perceived or real) of what judges expect. It's becoming way too homogenous in my opinion.

I find this whole discussion laughable. Tell cooks what they can turn in, for any meat, or award points for creativity. I'd like to see KCBS encouraging cooks to be more creative versus adhering to the standards (perceived or real) of what judges expect. It's becoming way too homogenous in my opinion.

Well it is a bbq competition not the Bocuse d'Or. I've seen some of those burger competitions on tv. If I were a judge I'd probably spit half of them across the room.

Well it is a bbq competition not the Bocuse d'Or. I've seen some of those burger competitions on tv. If I were a judge I'd probably spit half of them across the room.

I don't think I suggested that it should be fancy pants. And I don't know what burger competitions have to do with it. Just my thoughts that BBQ could be more than the same old same old.

I don't think I suggested that it should be fancy pants. And I don't know what burger competitions have to do with it. Just my thoughts that BBQ could be more than the same old same old.

Well I guess by point was a burger should be a burger and bbq should be bbq. Nobody is stopping you from turning is Wasabi Glazed ribs, they might taste great but they're certainly not bbq and in reality they shouldn't score well in a bbq competition. Of course that's just my opinion.

Well I guess by point was a burger should be a burger and bbq should be bbq. Nobody is stopping you from turning is Wasabi Glazed ribs, they might taste great but they're certainly not bbq and in reality they shouldn't score well in a bbq competition. Of course that's just my opinion.

But chicken braised in butter is "BBQ." I don't mean to hijack and I respect you for commenting on this forum. I would just like to see some more creativity.

But chicken braised in butter is "BBQ." I don't mean to hijack and I respect you for commenting on this forum. I would just like to see some more creativity.

Well you got me there. I don't really care for butter braised chicken (not to say I don't turn it in). The judges really seem to like it though ???

I'm sure back in the day nobody heard of braising chicken in butter. Somebody's 'creativity' led to today's craze.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.

This rule, as written, legalizes the cooking of only the money muscle or any other separate muscle of the pork shoulder. Let the grilling begin.

Where can you get a 4lb money muscle? Send me the address. :)

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.

Where can you get a 4lb money muscle? Send me the address. :)
Snakeriverfarms.com - ask for a long cut or Euro cut Boston Roast.

From page 2 of this thread (with a few tweaks to fit the new rule):

I propose that to keep it simple and easy to understand they add an official "FAQ" to the rules. Example:

Rules FAQs

Q: The way I interpret the pork rule, I can cut the money muscle off when it's cooked then return the rest of the butt to the smoker. Is this right?
A: Yes. Pork is considered "cooked" once it reaches 155+ degrees.

Q: Can I trim the butt down to just the money muscle or groups of muscles before I cook it?
A: No, the butt must remain intact except for minor trimming (1 pound or less removed).

Q: Is a Euro cut Boston Roast from SRF legal for competition.
A: No, this isn't Europe, this is America damnit! :thumb:

Easy peasy.

As I see it, there are two practical applications with the new rule:

1) Separating the MM from the rest of the pork when it reaches a certain temperature and leaving the rest of the pork on the cooker.

2) Reheating parts of the pork (MM or otherwise) prior to the turn in.

If people want to cheat or twist the rules however they see fit, I'm sure they will and I'm sure they have already been doing so.

So, with this new rule change for 2014, are the folks who are trimming MM but leaving "in tact" by leaving a sliver of fat cap attached cheating or legal?

Lopping the money muscle off a pork butt is not trimming. Stating that it's a cold hard fact and putting an exclamation point at the end doesn't change reality. If you go to get your hair trimmed and they cut it all off or give you a Mohawk I'm pretty sure you'd have a strong case in court against the barber.

I have been going to a barber for over 65 years and every time I have asked for a trim (except in the military) there has been a discussion about what the barber understood me to mean and what I actually meant by the term trim. The accepted definition is:

verb
verb: trim; 3rd person present: trims; past tense: trimmed; past participle: trimmed; gerund or present participle: trimming

1. make (something) neat or of the required size or form by cutting away irregular or unwanted parts.
it comes down to what the cook considers unwanted parts.

I would ask the question that begs an answer, why change the rule that was not enforced to another rule that lessens the likely hood that it needs to be enforced?

I have been going to a barber for over 65 years and every time I have asked for a trim (except in the military) there has been a discussion about what the barber understood me to mean and what I actually meant by the term trim. The accepted definition is:

verb
verb: trim; 3rd person present: trims; past tense: trimmed; past participle: trimmed; gerund or present participle: trimming

1. make (something) neat or of the required size or form by cutting away irregular or unwanted parts.
it comes down to what the cook considers unwanted parts.

I would ask the question that begs an answer, why change the rule that was not enforced to another rule that lessens the likely hood that it needs to be enforced?

This... Teams were already doing it anyway. I guess KCBS just decided to make it legal.

The BOD has spoken. The could have made it 7 lbs, but they did not. The SNF cut is legal.

Time to practice.

Are you talking about pork collar? If so, there has already been a rep advisory that explicitly states that defines what "Pork" is and pork collar is not a part of that definition. Therefore, illegal meat even with the new rule.

If however you are talking about some other type of pork that would fit the KCBS definition, then I would be curious to know more. :twisted:

The BOD has spoken. The could have made it 7 lbs, but they did not. The SNF cut is legal.

Time to practice.

Don't they teach reading and COMPREHENSION these days ?

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

Says Boston Butt, Boston Roast , Picnic and/or whole shoulder. Where does it say Pork Collar or SNF Euro Cut pork roast ? Cheat if you want, you probably won't get caught but if you do remember somebody got banned for 3 years just for wearing a penis apron.

Back