MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #7936
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondini View Post
Mike, hit it good with the Weed Burner. Anti-Freeze, in the old days could be
de-stilled for the alcohol, the I SAY SO's said to put a poison in it to stop that practice. So, if my barrel had a poison in it, I'd want to burn it out good. Hope that helps.
Will do! Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #7937
propsync
Knows what a fatty is.

So after my first two cooks I was getting a little metal taste. I have an unlined drum and someone suggested to burn it out, just in case. If I do this, how hot/long to burn it? I also got the suggestion of a diffuser/baffle. I have a metal pizza pan that has the holes in it. I'm thinking cover in foil and go with it. Comments?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #7938
starsman
Got rid of the matchlight.

Here are a couple of photos of the lid. I have to confess that I have full access to welders, cnc plasma cutters, a press brake, and a full machine shop. This was my first go. I think in the next few months I will have a bunch of these seeing how I found a barrell source for 16 dollars. We also have a sandblaster so my next barrell will be a lined one that I sandblast myself. I do have some grinding to do on this lid before I can paint it.

starsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #7939
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post
So after my first two cooks I was getting a little metal taste. I have an unlined drum and someone suggested to burn it out, just in case. If I do this, how hot/long to burn it? I also got the suggestion of a diffuser/baffle. I have a metal pizza pan that has the holes in it. I'm thinking cover in foil and go with it. Comments?
If you are sure it is unlined i wouldn't worry about burning it out. You could be tasting creosote on your meat. Make sure the smoke coming out is thin and blue before putting your meat on the grill. Also put the pizza pan covered in foil under your meat so the grease doesn't burn in the fire.

I personally don't like the smell or taste of burnt grease. I use a terracotta pot base covered in foil under my meats on my drums.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #7940
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Hope this works. Been to the cattle call but figured I'd post a pic of mu UDS built in honor of those boys in red and black(sometimes white too).

brickie

Going to start a dedicated thread per suggestion where I'll post up some more pics and info.
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #7941
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman View Post
Here are a couple of photos of the lid. I have to confess that I have full access to welders, cnc plasma cutters, a press brake, and a full machine shop. This was my first go. I think in the next few months I will have a bunch of these seeing how I found a barrell source for 16 dollars. We also have a sandblaster so my next barrell will be a lined one that I sandblast myself. I do have some grinding to do on this lid before I can paint it.

Something similar from Turner Biodiesel, less work and a little bit of fabrication for the seal and exhaust;

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #7942
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool, love the fire box acess pannel.
I have a question for a couple of UDs Im building. Sorry if the answer is in here somewhere.

Is it better to have the chimney with an adjustable damper? Or is just open and close good enough? Looks like most of them just have an open stack.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #7943
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Just open and closed.
Open when in use, closed to shut it down. Control the temp with the intakes.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #7944
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks much, Im kinda rusing cuase they are for a user that has to get them going soon for an event.

Anybody know a decent budget thermometer? I went to a BBQ store and the cheapest one was like $35. Does home depot have them?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #7945
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Cap Wally World sells a pretty decent one for around $16.00
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #7946
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool thanks, I was gonna head there tonight but never made it. Ill try there tomorrow.

Should wrap these up tomorrow, ill post some pics, they are little different with cut off drums as lids. May be a little heavy.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #7947
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

So I drilled an extra hole about 7" below the top of my UDS. I wasn't paying attention. The hole diameter is so small. It's about the size of the smallest bit in my drill kit. Should I leave it or drill a little larger and put a screw in it?
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #7948
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy-Meat View Post
So I drilled an extra hole about 7" below the top of my UDS. I wasn't paying attention. The hole diameter is so small. It's about the size of the smallest bit in my drill kit. Should I leave it or drill a little larger and put a screw in it?
Have you cooked on it yet? I say leave it alone until you see how it cooks. You can always throw a cheap magnet over it unti it cools down enough to mod.

Heck, attach a mini elbowed smoke stack to that hole to trick it out. Might be the next new thing. Let us know what you do, regardless.

Best of luck dude.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #7949
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Hey Crash you might have something there! We always lower the exhaust on an offset to grate level why not on a UDS. But then again it's a whole different design.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #7950
dudg
Found some matches.

Default couple of questions

First of all I got a drum for my kiss UDS. The drum contained a water soluble coolant used for machine shop. I cut the top off and the inside has a black surface like a paint of sorts. I am able to cut right through it with a wire wheel down to bare metal. My concern is after I clean it up the steel surface is rough or porous its not smooth like some of the other drums I've seen. After burning all the paint off the outside with a weed burner the inside doesn't change much. Would this concern any of you and has anybody ever had any experience with this type of drum. My second question is my charcoal basket. I misread or misunderstood but I made a basket using a grate from a 22.5 grill so it is approx 18 inch diameter. Is this wide of a basket a good or bad thing. Thanks
dudg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker