BBQ for the <gasp> vegetarian

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm doing a charity BBQ for Wounded Warriors and it seems that I've been inundated with requests for vegetarian options. I don't want to make "pretend" meat, however, but I would like to have some things that I could smoke so they could enjoy the BBQ as well.

I understand jackfruit is popular, but are there other things I could use the smoker for to add some options? This is absolute alien territory for me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, so I'm doing a charity BBQ for Wounded Warriors and it seems that I've been inundated with requests for vegetarian options. I don't want to make "pretend" meat, however, but I would like to have some things that I could smoke so they could enjoy the BBQ as well.

I understand jackfruit is popular, but are there other things I could use the smoker for to add some options? This is absolute alien territory for me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would not make them anything. It's a BBQ. Catering to Vegans is just a huge headache. You just doubled your workload to cater to 5% of the guests.

There's a book on the google play store called something like vegan bbq or vegetarian bbq. I bought it digitally because I have people in my life who are weird like that. It's a decent book and I think cheap. I'd recommend it.

I grill eggplant, asparagus, and portobello mushrooms with oil and Montreal steak seasoning. Then fire roast red peppers. Slap that all together with some fresh mozzarella cheese between some type of bread (focaccia or ciabatta) and that’s a pretty good meal. Can add fresh basil and some balsamic vinegar too.

Of course, I’ve never tried it for parties more than 8-10 folks. Might be too much work if you had to feed a large crowd this way. Good luck! The service members should be pretty darn happy regardless of what you make.

SU2vgmBl.jpg

RWg0eysl.jpg

BKVsm5Il.jpg

jClcKZJl.jpg

No reason to stress. Do something easy, and present it for vegetarians. If they are vegan, you will need soy cheeses. **see my signature for further help :heh:

-Marinade some large portabella mushrooms in soy, garlic, and worchestirshire. Grill
-Marinade sliced eggplants in some oil, garlic and balsamic vinegar, then grill and melt some slices of mozzarella cheese over the top.
-Make some good mac n cheese, without bacon or meat.
-Potato salad with no meat.
-Loaded or twice baked potatos without bacon
-Grilled ratatouille
-Baked pasta with marinara, peppers, olives and cheese

Last edited:
Michael Symon has an on line recipe for vegan sloppy joes. Sauce is the same, but it uses minced eggplant & mushrooms. For myself, whole portobello mushrooms and/ or thick sliced eggplant can be grilled and make great sandwiches.

First, thank you for doing this.

Second, take the ribbing that's coming with a grain of salt. I could stand on a soapbox and decry the problems of vegans and BBQ...except there is documented proof that I made vegan mac and cheese (from a box), and smoked tofu. So, i'm compromised.

That being said,

Potatoes - Search for potato Bombs. You could use vegan cheese inside. You could also try thin slicing some seasoned portbellos and giving them a quick fry, to crumble inside that potato bomb.

Cauliflower - Rub a whole head with olive oil and season with your favorite rub (SPOG to Blues Hog). 350 smoker for about 80-90 minutes. Try this one beforehand; you might want to make a few.

Onions - Someone here has a recipe for smoked onions. I've dying to try that. Alternatively, you could buy the green ones, and grill them.

We're going to need pics!

No reason to stress. Do something easy, and present it for vegetarians. If they are vegan, you will need soy cheeses. **see my signature for further help :heh:

-Make some good mac n cheese, without bacon or meat.

Not. even. remotely. possible. without dairy-based cheese.

At least that's like, my opinion.

I tend to go with VEGETARIAN does not equal VEGAN logic. That may be the wrong approach, but another option would work for that.

You are a good person for taking this on. I can't go as far as Rockinar does but I would probably hesitate too. Not sure how hard core your crowd will be- but I've heard of a segment of of non meat eaters that won't eat anything off the same grate that cooked meat...ever. Some folk can't be reasoned with.

I wish you good luck- that's a great cause. /applaud

Not sure if this would be an issue, but I've cooked for a few vegans and vegetarians who did not want their food cooked on the same grate as the meat.
I just use pans or disposable racks for the vegan and vegetarian food.

Nice of you to do this cook! :cool:

edited to add...
Nuco beat me to it! lol

I would not make them anything. It's a BBQ. Catering to Vegans is just a huge headache. You just doubled your workload to cater to 5% of the guests.

I would ignore this guy. It is a charity event. Catering to disable veterans, even with special requests, is hugely rewarding. You barely have to do any extra work to provide a nice meal for people who really need it.

So, being a person who has lived dairy-free his entire life (allergy), I'll chime in.

I don't usually buy vegan cheese (99/100 times I usually omit cheese), but I have eaten it before and cooked with it with favorable results. The vegan cheese that is coming out now is much better than it was 10 years ago. Stuff now melts just fine and looks/tastes just like the real thing (according to family and friends who eat a lot of it).

Some brands are a little better than others, but overall I wouldn't hesitate using it for a few different applications.

You are a good person for taking this on. I can't go as far as Rockinar does but I would probably hesitate too. Not sure how hard core your crowd will be- but I've heard of a segment of of non meat eaters that won't eat anything off the same grate that cooked meat...ever. Some folk can't be reasoned with.

So yeah, people who don't eat meat do so for different reasons. I wouldn't be afraid to smoke some tofu and add some BBQ rub/sauce to it. I'd treat it like smoking cheese...so light on the smoke (apple/cherry).

I know vegetarians that will eat cheese, certain strict vegans (like ayurvedic) who don't eat mushrooms/onions/garlic for spiritual reasons...and some people like you said...that don't want to eat off a surface that meat has been on.

My guess is...if they are going to a BBQ festival/cookout, they will be more on the lax side of vegetarianism.

Ok...some ideas....

Tofu (probably what I would do).
Seitan (but you have to be careful because its gluten based).
I have also had great luck taking a Grilled Panzanella Salad to a party with a bunch of vegetarians. They freakin loved it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/grilled-panzanella-recipe-1943466

I haven't tried a bunch of them, but I've tried a few different vegan/vegetarian cheeses and I really like the Daiya brand. The american style cheese slices make great grilled cheese (i actually like it better than regular cheese) and should also be good in a smoked mac & cheese. If you're feeling adventurous, there are some pretty quick and easy recipes you can find online to make tempeh bacon for smoked bacon mac.

Medley of sweet potato chunks, onions, and red pepper, takes bbq rub well.

Cauliflower rubbed with olive oil, then sprinkle with curry.

Asparagus, brussel sprouts, and green beans all are great when roasted.

Of course mushrooms and/or eggplants are great too.

Potato, sweet potato, carrot, cabbage, onion, pepper, asparagus, broc, caul, mix and match or individual. Season, olive oil, wrap, all easily done ahead of time. I'm guessing you have the bbq part down or you wouldn't be doing the cook. Also guessing you don't have the same confidence with the veg, don't try and be vegan Emeril just K.I.S.S.

Back