MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

pics.

the ingredients

simmah' down now

plated

Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

I love making tamales ...usually make with 3 or 4 different fillings.

Although I like the fine masa...not cornmeal ones
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Tamales looks like the real thing = yummy. Thanks for the step by step & sauce recipe.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tamale party at TKs 01/02/2010

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Thanks for the step-by-step,didn't know what tamale's exactly are.
Looks yummie!
check out bbq grail's blog- he has this w/ the recipe.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #21
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

it's too late to edit this(i'm a dumbass) but use maseca brand masa if possible. there are no real directions for how much for tamales but a simple rule is- around 8 cups dry masa mix for 4 doz. tamales. it's not a set measurement for this- use 2 cups corn oil & 5 cups of juice or base or both divided.
start off w/ a less dry(drier) mix-the masa will suck up moisture & get thicker before your eyes.you want a creamy peanut butter consistency when done.

i usually add a tbsp ea. comino,garlic & onion pwdrs,thyme,& black pepper.
if you use a base(chix,beef,pork)depending on what you're doing- no salt is needed.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'm getting ready for my tamale party tomorrow!! Looking good Bro. That sauce sounds killer! I'd hit few of those. Tamales are great for breakfast. Hot CI skillet, melt butter, toss in tamales with no husk and heat in butter till golden brown. Plate and top with sunny side up eggs. A few dashes of hot sauce or off the shelf salsa. I know, real salsa is best, but the shelf stuff goes well this set up. Even better on New Years Day after a long night of boozing.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #23
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'm getting ready for my tamale party tomorrow!! Looking good Bro. That sauce sounds killer! I'd hit few of those. Tamales are great for breakfast. Hot CI skillet, melt butter, toss in tamales with no husk and heat in butter till golden brown. Plate and top with sunny side up eggs. A few dashes of hot sauce or off the shelf salsa. I know, real salsa is best, but the shelf stuff goes well this set up. Even better on New Years Day after a long night of boozing.
or for some of us texicans- anyday..
i always loved cold fried chix or poke chops on the boat fishin' & tamales w/ a cold pacifico @ the dock smothered in carne or dipped in tamatillo sauce. chile verde, or my queso (as i like to call it now)queso fatty-o daddy-o...

i teell you 4 true(justin wilson)
nothin' beats a hot(the original)greasy red hot tamale (chix,brisk,or pork)
w/ a cold salted cervesa after fightin' port aransas deep sea beasts- just ask me in pm or my co-fish killers..

Old 12-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #24
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Nice! I've never made them before but was thinking about it for Christmas. I have a ton of chopped brisket and some pulled pork.
well then you rock. do a yardbird too & a fatty(or 3)..
the fatty tamale is the shiznit....

an 8lb butt down =12 dozen so there's your measurement.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #25
BobBrisket

The great thing about tamales, is you can use ANYTHING as a filling. We made brisket and sauce, chicken mole', green, red chile, cheese and green chile strips, picadillo, even beans and cheese. They all rock. I've been playing around with the idea of Asian, Italian, and Indian inspired tamale fillings.
And yes, tamales and a cold cerveza go VERY well together. If you happen to have some Texas Chili around, slop it on top of one. DAMN, I'm hungry and still more than 24 hours away from my batch even being close to being ready!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #26
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

i can't remember the name but as a kid being in sabinal/uvalde we had fire roasted javelina cheek,prickly pear heads,& egg...tamales & tacos

i bet bob knows- it was quite different but when ya grow up in texas...also had crawfish & egg w/ fried whiting(but thats another thread).

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #27
SmokeInDaEye

So I should add some type of broth and corn oil to the masa? Going ingredient shopping tomorrow and don't want to miss anything. Can I make them a day ahead then steam to order?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #28
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like great grub!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
The great thing about tamales, is you can use ANYTHING as a filling. We made brisket and sauce, chicken mole', green, red chile, cheese and green chile strips, picadillo, even beans and cheese. They all rock. I've been playing around with the idea of Asian, Italian, and Indian inspired tamale fillings.
And yes, tamales and a cold cerveza go VERY well together. If you happen to have some Texas Chili around, slop it on top of one. DAMN, I'm hungry and still more than 24 hours away from my batch even being close to being ready!
Green or red chile would be great! I can't wait to get cooking tomorrow.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #30
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
i can't remember the name but as a kid being in sabinal/uvalde we had fire roasted javelina cheek,prickly pear heads,& egg...tamales & tacos

i bet bob knows- it was quite different but when ya grow up in texas...also had crawfish & egg w/ fried whiting(but thats another thread).
Now there's a combo I have not had. I've had prickly pear (Tunas in Spanish). They are peeled and put on ice or they make an Agua Fresca outta them. Those things are the chit on a hot summer day. They red are nice, but the green are better. Also make for a killer salsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
So I should add some type of broth and corn oil to the masa? Going ingredient shopping tomorrow and don't want to miss anything. Can I make them a day ahead then steam to order?
Broth is best. If you are going to smoke the meats, you can make your own broth with the bones and skins, fat etc. Lot better than the canned, but canned will do. If you make the one in the bag from scratch, follow the recipe. But, you may want to have a bit of lard, shortening, or oil if the first two aren't a popular taste. But lard is the best. You want to get the masa to a peanut butter consistency. I made some custom masa spreaders.......take a regular soup/table spoon and take a hammer to it. Pound it flat..........Presto.
I don't know about steaming to order. Never made them in small batches like that. I know that steaming in the large Tamalera Pots they steam for hours. I think you could steam then in small batches. Would probably take a lot less time that way since the total mass is smaller. Sustitute broth for water when possible.
Can't wait to see the pron.