MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
jesseQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Pork Butt

Had a day off last week and decided to try my hand at smoking a pork butt. I've done plenty of ribs but never a butt. First things first, locating a butt. My local grocer (fantastic) only had very large picnic cuts. This being my first pork shoulder I thought it best to stay with a butt. Hit up two more shops before finding a nice five pounder. Btw, spent $$$ at all three stores, doing my bit for the economy.

Got the butt home, slapped some rub on it and fired up little Smokey Joe (it's all I've got at the moment but seriously eyeballin' a BWS Chubby or G2). Put the butt on Smokey at 1pm and ... trouble. The butt's too big and the lid won't close all the way! Temps are soaring. Never fear when you've got a 25lb kettlebell on hand (I just knew it had more uses than a doorstop). Put it on top of the lid and problem solved.

Temps were still too high so I added a small pan of water opposite the coals and under the butt. This seemed to steady the temps in the 200-250 range with occasional spikes to 275.

The biggest issue with such a small grill was every couple of hours I had to add coals and completely re-stoke the fire. Once I got the rhythm down it wasn't so bad. I was even able to leave the house for an hour or so.

Ten hours later and the butt came off. The bone practically fell out and I pulled it hot - it was getting late - and me and the lady had a nice mid-night meal.

I couldn't have done it without the 'Bretherens' (and the search function). A big thank you to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 10 55.jpg (212.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 15 15.jpg (196.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 18 09.jpg (164.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 18 38.jpg (211.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 16 42.jpg (161.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 03, 9 24 01.jpg (169.9 KB, 118 views)
jesseQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Looks Great...Good Job!!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Great bark. Looks delicious!
John

Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Looks great!

You can always get a visconia or imusa 32quart tamale pot and some extra grates and nuts/bolts and make a smoking chamber for your smokey joe. The mod is called the mini wsm. You can always remove the tamale pot and use the smokey joe as a grill.

The mod can be done for less than $40 and if you do a 2 grate mini you can hold a decent amount of food. I can cook 2 9lb pork butts in my mini without any issue.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

Looks yummy, nice job!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Beauty way!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

Nice pics!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Looks great!

You can always get a visconia or imusa 32quart tamale pot and some extra grates and nuts/bolts and make a smoking chamber for your smokey joe. The mod is called the mini wsm. You can always remove the tamale pot and use the smokey joe as a grill.

The mod can be done for less than $40 and if you do a 2 grate mini you can hold a decent amount of food. I can cook 2 9lb pork butts in my mini without any issue.
^^^This. Tons of people here have these and they are great for cooking Butts and chickens. Heck, I even folded a 15+ lb. packer over and did that in the mini. Ribs would be a bit of an issue in it unless you figured a way to hang them.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
^^^This. Tons of people here have these and they are great for cooking Butts and chickens. Heck, I even folded a 15+ lb. packer over and did that in the mini. Ribs would be a bit of an issue in it unless you figured a way to hang them.
For ribs, i cut them in half or i'll roll them into a cylinder and pin it with skewers. You can fit a couple of racks of ribs on each grate, but it is a tight squeeze.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Superb!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

A fine looking butt
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Those are some great photos.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
jesseQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks everyone and maybe I'll give the mini WSM a try.
jesseQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I have a 5 pound butt on my mini WSM right now and am so excited to see how it turns out too. I have never done a butt before either, but I'm only 25 so I guess I have time to get it right if this one doesn't turn out right!

I have to say though, go buy the pot and make yourself a mini Weber Smokey Mountain. It is cheap and may be the only smoker you ever need. I have a large Brinkmann electric smoker and I haven't used it since I built this thing. Only other equipment that ever gets fired up is my Weber Performer or my Weber gasser for grilling jobs. Great little smokers.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseQ View Post
Thanks everyone and maybe I'll give the mini WSM a try.
Add my vote for that too. Hard to believe how useful the SJ becomes with the middle section. I used mine tonight to make some moinks. The upper grate is far enough from the coals so that the heat is reduced from a normal direct heat.