MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
chef solon
Found some matches.

Default Building first UDS - Rusty barrel?

Help!

So I have a barrel - it's been out in the rain (got it from a buddy who had it sitting out). The metal seems to be in good shape with the exception of the rust - if I use a high heat rustoleum style paint will I still be ok to cook in this barrel - or should I just start again?

Should I take a grinding wheel and clean it up some before I mess with it too much? Etc Etc help w/ details and thoughts please.

Thanks!
chef solon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
TeamGreene
Knows what a fatty is.

When I did mine I didn't have rust but I wanted to make sure that it was clean of any residue after I burned it out I had it sandblasted inside and out.
TeamGreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

If its rust on the outside its no prob. Clean and paint w/high temp. However if its rust on the inside, then knock it of with a grinder with a cup brush or wire wheel. Then season. But do NOT paint the inside! :)

Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
chef solon
Found some matches.

Thank you! I knew not to paint the inside, just wasn't sure how clean to get it before seasoning. I'll grind it down with a brush and go from there. Thank you much!
chef solon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

just knock of any loose stuff and spray with canola oil or what you prefer...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Vinegar works amazing on surface rust. I knocked down the loose stuff with a rubber mallet. Then I used a drag and drenched the sides. Let it sit and wipe away.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

As already mentioned, grind the inside with a wire wheel down to bare metal. Then just run a few foodless cooks with a hot fire to season the inside. Spray with cooking oil before hand and let cook for 3-4 hours. Repeat 2 or 3 times and you oughta be good.