• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Meatloaf Smoke - In Progress!

stargate823

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just keep looking for excuses to fire up the new 22 WSM to get it nice and seasoned. I haven't done this in over a year... which puzzles me because I absolutely loved it last time! Here's the prepped loaf... more pr0n to follow! :biggrin1:

IMG_20130609_150355.jpg

I can already tell this is going to be a winner :thumb:

There are two things I've found that most smoke heads have not tried... this is one of them. The other is double smoked ham. It just sounds so simple - but the results are amazing!

Looks like it's going to be good. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

I just keep looking for excuses to fire up the new 22 WSM to get it nice and seasoned. I haven't done this in over a year... which puzzles me because I absolutely loved it last time! Here's the prepped loaf... more pr0n to follow! :biggrin1:

IMG_20130609_150355.jpg

Here is a quick peek - just passed the 135 mark. I'll be glazing this baby really soon!

IMG_20130609_171927_1.jpg

Looks like it's going to be good. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Is there really ever a "recipe" for meatloaf? LOL! I've used this as a base, as with anything you can always fool with it to make it your own. I've found I like more onion, a bit of pepper and usually more bread crumbs depending how wet the mix is. The biggest change I make is I use a mix of pork, veal and beef. Credit to Jeff over at smoking-meat.com.

Easy Meat Loaf Recipe
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
  • 1 C. fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 3/4 C. ketchup
  • 1/4 C. milk

I finely chop onions, red, green and yellow bells peppers, carrots and mushrooms and saute them until tender, cool and add that to my meatloaf mixture. It add a lot of flavor and moisture. I finely chopped jalapeño is a nice addition, too.

THIS!!!

Learning to saute my veggies before adding them to my ground meat is what really brought my meatloaf to the next level. It removes all the moisture, and the caramelization adds loads of flavor.

I also like to add a couple tablespoons of tomato paste towards the of the saute, to add a little more umami.

I finely chop onions, red, green and yellow bells peppers, carrots and mushrooms and saute them until tender, cool and add that to my meatloaf mixture. It add a lot of flavor and moisture. I finely chopped jalapeño is a nice addition, too.

I've never smoked a meatloaf. Needless to say I will be this week. I'll throw it on my new Mini Wsm :thumb:

I actually prefer the bit of texture that you get from using raw onion In the beginning. The peppers always come out completely done. Here's the money shot people - smoked with pecan and oak. Moist and delicious as always! Thanks for looking!

IMG_20130609_193043.jpg

IMG_20130609_193918.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. You have to excuse me, my wife has been cooking for me for 25+ years. I just got bitten by the BBQ bug the last couple of years so I don't have a lot of experience with cooking or recipes.

I have learned a lot from you guys on the forum though.

Thanks again for your help.

Is there really ever a "recipe" for meatloaf? LOL! I've used this as a base, as with anything you can always fool with it to make it your own. I've found I like more onion, a bit of pepper and usually more bread crumbs depending how wet the mix is. The biggest change I make is I use a mix of pork, veal and beef. Credit to Jeff over at smoking-meat.com.

Easy Meat Loaf Recipe
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
  • 1 C. fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 3/4 C. ketchup
  • 1/4 C. milk

My wife loves Meatloaf on the smoker. I confess to cheating and putting mine in foil Loaf pans. I paint them with glazing sauce.
I smoke a couple at a time, any extra, I freeze. works like a charm.

Meatloaf soaks up smoke and has a fantastic smoke ring.

Nice looking meatloaf! What did you use for the glaze?

The glaze was my homemade bbq sauce - I use the recipe from Jeff over at smoking-meat.com, BUT I add a secret ingredient (the only reason I can call it MINE). Makes a wonderful sauce! Since his recipe is paid I cannot post it here but I can tell you it's worth the small investment. Great stuff, especially if you add a bit of tamarind extract! Well ****.... now I've given my secret away... :mrgreen:

Back