Fusion: Pulled Pork and Brisket Peruvian Tamales (lots of PRON)

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
My father-in-law is from Peru and every year for Christmas he makes the best damn tamales I've ever tasted. This year I studied, took notes and put my own twist on what truly is a fabulous latin dish.

We started with guajillo paste, garlic paste, pork stock, pork lard (all of which we made) and a big ol bag of banana leaves...

DSCN2604.jpg

added the pork lard to a pan...

DSCN2627-1.jpg

...and fried the guajillo paste, garlic paste, some of the pork stock and touch of cumin...

DSCN2637-1.jpg

added that to the masa...

DSCN2641.jpg

..along with a little bit more pork stock...

DSCN2642.jpg

mixed it well...

DSCN2644.jpg

next, we placed the banana leaves onto some flames to sweat them thus making them more pliable for folding...

DSCN2686.jpg

added the masa to the banana leaves...

DSCN2646.jpg

...and filled with applewood smoked pulled pork, Sicilian Black Olives and some roasted Serano Peppers..

DSCN2735.jpg

filled another with hickory smoked beef brisket, roasted Serano Peppers and some apple bourbon BBQ sauce...

DSCN2736.jpg

folded and tied with kitchen twine...

DSCN2661.jpg

wrapped in tinfoil, dropped into water and boiled for 25 minutes...

DSCN2677.jpg

pulled pork tamale with some hot sauce...

DSCN2754.jpg

beef brisket tamale...

DSCN2767.jpg

me eating these things like no tomorrow....

DSCN2780.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Those look great! Is using banana leaves for the wrapper traditional in Peru?

Nice. We're making pork tamales tomorrow. We'll make some brisket ones as well, if there's any leftovers tonight. We're using corn husks instead of banana leaves. Looks great.

Matt

Thanks Ron. As far as I know it is. Traditionally, they are stuffed with pork or chicken. We enjoy pork. My father-in-law adds hardboiled egg, a couple of peanuts and olives as well.

Great job. I'm gonna be late on my tamale making. Have to much stuff to make already for Christmas so it's gonna have to wait until after the new year but definetly gonna try the banana leaves.

Wow that looks so good
Can I put an order in for next year

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Ive never seen or eaten one.
I think I would absolutely love them!!!
They look totally Deliciouso!:thumb:
:hungry:

Man! I could hit that for sure. I love tamales and those look incredible!

Thanks for your wonderful comments all. I'll be making more of these. They were super moist and very flavorful. Must have been the pork lard.

Back