MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #121
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
I also got almost $22 back from Amazon tonight since I complained the unit wasn't new. So for around $85, I think this is a steal! :)

Man, I love Amazon.

As an Aside I have a couple chucks that I've had rolling for almost 48 hours in a cooler using the Precision cooker. I plan on pulling one out today and searing with the weber chimney. The other I plan on giving another 24 hours and try tomorrow to see the difference in texture. They are set at 130.5 and have a very light coat of SPOG on one side and a touch of rosemary, thyme, garlic and salt on the other. I wanted to add some ghee but figured I'd messed with the flavor enough, but the next steaks I use will be low fat so I'll use it there. I'll post pics of each in this thread instead of starting ones.

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #122
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the reason for a 48 or 72 hr cook at that low of a temp. How thick is the meat ? I do have the precision arriving next week and I admit to second thoughts about it...maybe the old dog new tricks thing Is there a good sou vide for dummies book you all could recommend ? Thanks .

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #123
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Man, I love Amazon.

As an Aside I have a couple chucks that I've had rolling for almost 48 hours in a cooler using the Precision cooker. I plan on pulling one out today and searing with the weber chimney. The other I plan on giving another 24 hours and try tomorrow to see the difference in texture. They are set at 130.5 and have a very light coat of SPOG on one side and a touch of rosemary, thyme, garlic and salt on the other. I wanted to add some ghee but figured I'd messed with the flavor enough, but the next steaks I use will be low fat so I'll use it there. I'll post pics of each in this thread instead of starting ones.
Nice, I've never gone over 48 for a chuckie. I've never salted anything in my long cooks due to people saying it will toughen the meat. Be sure to post your results.

Also I haven't seen butter+beef SV much. Read it dilutes the beef flavor somehow but it does work great with chicken!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #124
unixadm
Take a breath!

I put butter with my filets last night and they tasted fantastic. A little goes a long way - I also had olive oil in the bag. Many times you see steaks basted with butter, so I noticed no such side effects other than it tasting really good.

Put it to you this way - I've never cooked a more tender steak than last night on my first attempt with Sous Vide.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #125
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakel View Post
Please forgive my ignorance but what is the reason for a 48 or 72 hr cook at that low of a temp. How thick is the meat ? I do have the precision arriving next week and I admit to second thoughts about it...maybe the old dog new tricks thing Is there a good sou vide for dummies book you all could recommend ? Thanks .
The longer cook will tenderize cuts like short ribs, brisket, etc. but still let them be cooked to Med rare.

I haven't looked at books, but the Serious Eats web site has a bunch of good info on sous vide, plus I received an e-mail that they are teaming up with Anova for recipes and tip to be included in the Anova app.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #126
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Thanks Ron that helps a lot and I'll do some more checking online. I'm just having a problem wrapping my head around the concept

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #127
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I haven't looked at books, but the Serious Eats web site has a bunch of good info on sous vide, plus I received an e-mail that they are teaming up with Anova for recipes and tip to be included in the Anova app.
Maybe that's they're featuring such a glowing product review from Kenji on their website!

I have every reason to think that a Precision will be mine on Fathers Day. My wife had no idea what it was when I sent her the link but she LOVES her filet mignon and I've assured her that this will allow us to nail it exactly the way she wants it.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #128
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
Nice, I've never gone over 48 for a chuckie. I've never salted anything in my long cooks due to people saying it will toughen the meat. Be sure to post your results.

Also I haven't seen butter+beef SV much. Read it dilutes the beef flavor somehow but it does work great with chicken!

Yes, yes! As I go through the learning phase on this I definitely noticed that the salt caused a LARGE loss of water. Luckily this was a well marbled chuck or it WOULD have been dry. However this was very tender and tasty.

I am a little worried about the second one that's set to be cooked tomorrow. I should have went without any salt on at least one. But, we shall see. It was pretty well marbled also.

I apologize for the shoddy pics. I'm in a rush to get to my brother's birthday party......this is a diet dish compared to what will be served there.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #129
unixadm
Take a breath!

Decided to try some chicken breast Sous Vide style. 139 degrees for about 90 minutes. I seasoned with a little salt and pepper, plus a pad of unsalted butter and a little Hoisin. When it came out of the bag, I heated a skillet on medium/high heat, put some butter flavored oil in the pan and seared one side of the breast for about 90 seconds. Afterwards I seasoned with fresh ground pepper and some Lawry's seasoned salt. I served it with some pasta roni (I know) and man, it was tasty. Juicy and tender with all the right flavors.

Pretty sold on this new style of cooking. I can make a number of things early in the week and drop stuff in as I want it. Piece of cake.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #130
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I had been wanting one of these and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up

Old 06-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #131
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
I had been wanting one of these and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up
+1 !!! We ordered one too. Thanks Ron!!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #132
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Maybe it's time for the first Sous Vide Throwdown!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #133
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Yesterday was my first time out - 2 hour hanger steak @ 131. Nice and tender, but wasn't crazy using the mapp torch for a crust.

I've got a 48 hour chuck roast @ 140 that will be ready for dinner tomorrow. I'll try the chimney method for a crust.

I like the idea and am just starting out, but the cooks themselves are very boring.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #134
unixadm
Take a breath!

Yeah - I'm not a big fan of the torch either. I'm making another filet tonight and am going to cook it at 131 and then sear on each side in a cast iron pan for one minute before serving.

The cooks are boring but might I suggest spending more times on sides and getting creative there? If you're already doing that then maybe this will help.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #135
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Just figured I'd add that tomorrow I'll be adding two more things to my sous vide adventure. Harris Teeter has swordfish steaks on sale for 6.99/lb so THAT'S happening and I picked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs that I think I may just sous vide and pan fry as well. Fingers crossed that these go as well as I have envisioned.