MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
YankeeBBQboy
Got Wood.

Default KCBS Membership - your thoughts

I've currently have been a member of the KCBS for two years now and a certified judge for years as well (although i haven't judged yet.) I'm really not into competition for many reason and when I get the "Bullsheet" I notice that there isn't really interesting in there that I can't find by reading the posts here for a couple of days or so.

I'm curious, how many of you are KCBS members and what motivates you to keep your membership? Do you find that you get your money's worth from membership if you don't compete? My membership is up in May and I wonder if I should renew or use the money on something else BBQ related.
YankeeBBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

if you get value and/or enjoyment from this forum, consider purchasing a subscription or donating to keep this forum going instead...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/payments.php
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
YankeeBBQboy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
if you get value and/or enjoyment from this forum, consider purchasing a subscription or donating to keep this forum going instead...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/payments.php
Just did - this really is the best bang for the buck!!

So what do you others think about KCBS - does it meet your needs iof your not a competitor?
YankeeBBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

It is only worth the access to Restaurant Depot to me. Because it looks like another bbq membership is going to get me access, I'm not renewing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I joined a couple years ago in order to get the day pass at Restaurant Depot. I do some fundraising cooking for my kids' school so the price of the membership was worth the money I saved. This year, however, the RD deal was off right at the time I re-upped with KCBS, and in my view this was handled very poorly - i.e. info was not given out - a bunch of us just went to RD and got turned away - so it was basically a waste of money since I don't compete and I'm not aware of any benefits of membership with KCBS for non-competitors.

The RD deal is supposedly back on, but a lot of people, myself included, have had troubles getting day passes anyway, and frankly the hassle of going down to RD and having the potential of a problems at the door keeps me from going there rather than just going to my usual butchers. If I'm buying quantity it's worth it for me to head to RD and take the chance, but for a single brisket or a butt or 2, it's not. Aside from that, I looked into CBJ classes and they seem to never have them in CA. I am not at all sure if I'll re-up my membership with KCBS when the time comes around - but youbetchurass I'll renew my subscription to this place over and over again.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Been thinking about becoming a certified judge. In that case you have to join. Of course you also have to join if you want to compete.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Which is the biggest BBQ community, here or KCBS
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

KCBS is a 501(c)3 charity. I belong to support it, just like I pay dues to other organizations that support and/or promote other hobbies/interests of mine. For me, it's not about what I get from KCBS, but what KCBS does for BBQ in general that interest me.

We can (and do) debate the methods they use to achieve this, but I don't think BBQ would be in the public eye the same way it is today without KCBS.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

I joined for the RD day pass, I only went once because it was such a hassle and they had no idea about the day pass, I haven't renewed KCBS in a few years.

A subscription to this place is much better, now if we can only get a RD day pass system for being a Brethren....

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
Which is the biggest BBQ community, here or KCBS
Here and it's not close.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

There are members of the Brethren that are on the KCBS Board. Hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread and perhaps share their thoughts.

I recently ponyed up for a subscription here because this place does provide me huge value. I have been thinking about joining KCBS. But I have been thinking for a few months. I am hoping to get into competition but that is a very expensive proposition. KCBS by it's actions appear to only be interested in supporting competitive BBQ. That is the teams, judging and sanctioning events. And I cannot say I blame them - that is where the money is and frankly it is more sexy then supporting the backyard BBQ gang.

But I guess I'm selfish. If I am going to put down my $$$ I want to know I am getting something for it. Some will say it is only $35 and yes they are right. But it is my $35 and I'm not just going to throw it away. I will probably sign up for a year so I can see first hand what it is like. But my expectations are very low given from what I have seen from the outside. Though I am prepared to be wrong. If I am I will tell everyone that will listen that I a wrong and why.

CBQ said above that "...I don't think BBQ would be in the public eye the same way it is today without KCBS" and I agree with him. They are very good at what they do. And perhaps it should be accepted that KCBS is really not geared to support the backyard BBQ cooker. And frankly that would be perfectly fine. But the KCBS mission statement indicates the goal is to promote BBQ overall. I was on a thread here recently that the KCBS president and at least one other KCBS member of the board was participating in. The idea of having a seat on the KCBS Board reserved for a KCBS member that was neither a judge or actively competing was floated. I don't believe either the president or the member of the board commented. Should they have? I don't know. And to be fair, there may well be internal discussions going on that addresses this.

Anyway, just my miscellaneous ramblings/observations. Hope this helps.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by bmonkman; 02-15-2013 at 03:51 AM..
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Of course you also have to join if you want to compete.
Typically this is entirely untrue, the notable exception being the Sam's Club series.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Been thinking about becoming a certified judge. In that case you have to join. Of course you also have to join if you want to compete.
A KCBS membership is not required to compete in a KCBS contest. It is required for Team of the Year, and the Sam's Club contests. I have maintained my membership for several years because I judge a few contests a year, and am working my way to Master CBJ. Honestly there is not a lot of value with the membership, but I will continue to renew.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

I stay in so I can judge a comp here and there to see how others are doing things.. cheaper to judge than compete LOL.. plus it's a business writeoff for me!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
KCBS is a 501(c)3 charity. I belong to support it, just like I pay dues to other organizations that support and/or promote other hobbies/interests of mine. For me, it's not about what I get from KCBS, but what KCBS does for BBQ in general that interest me.
Us too.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote