I hate chicken

Q

Que'inKC

Now that I've got that off my chest!!!

I've been doing a chit load of practicing for this off season, trying to get our chicken scores up...

I've got our method down, I'm consistent with appearance, doneness and bite through skin...But I'll be damned if i can't get much flavor out of the bird. I'm trying to be consistent with my practice cooks in the sense I'm always using fresh bird from the same store...(maybe I should switch that up???!!!???)

I've tried everything under the sun...Inject not inject, marinate or not marinate, brine or not brine...I just don't have any WOW Factor!!

I've used a few homemade rubs, and I've used a few store bought rubs and even combination of both.

Anyway just needed to get that off my chest...:smile:

Season, season, sauce, sauce, sauce, and oh yeah season again. Don't forget under the skin and every nook and cranny.

Have you tried free range birds? They don't even taste like grocery store chicken. Read up on them.

Tip: It's not just that you brine, it what you brine with. Dissolve a good amount of your rub in the brine. A brine is a flavor transport mechanism. It's basically injecting at the physiological level.

John

Tip: It's not just that you brine, it what you brine with. Dissolve a good amount of your rub in the brine. A brine is a flavor transport mechanism. It's basically injecting at the physiological level.

John

AMEN!!!:biggrin:

Dissolve your flavors by bringing your brining solution to a boil in a stock pot and let it cool and rest for at least as long as you plan on brining.

Dizzy Dust in the morning, Dizzy Dust in the afternoon, Dizzy Dust in the evening... :icon_cool

I'm with Dale...I <3 Chicken! I did fairly well in chicken last year and I feel like I'm improving each time I do it. Brine, marinade, rub, sauce...they are your frind, Young Skywalker.

Brine with Yard Bird rub in it and then use it heavly on the bird and you will see a differance.

Brine with Yard Bird rub in it and then use it heavly on the bird and you will see a differance.

Plowboys Yardbird is your friend.:cool:

What is in this rub of legend and lore?
Equal parts unicorn horn, fairy dust, and tooth of wild boar
Mixed with salt, sugar, pepper, and the blood of our plowin' hero
It will make your stew strong, ladies pleased, and scores definitely not zero...

AMEN!!!:biggrin:

Dissolve your flavors by bringing your brining solution to a boil in a stock pot and let it cool and rest for at least as long as you plan on brining.

Yep. I also use half brown sugar and half white. Oh, and I don't use the ratio of 1 cup each salt and sugar to a gallon of water. I make mine with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt and 1/3 cup rub to each gallon.

Bring it all to a boil for a couple minutes, cover and let cool. For competitions I make what I call "brine concentrate". It's my standard brine solution with only half the water. I then dilute it with ice water on-site just before I use it.

I brine for six hours, drain, pat dry and sprinkle lightly with rub just before the thighs hit the cooker.

Hope this helps,
John

Yeah, how come something that takes 90-120 minutes to cook takes longer to prep?

Damn chicken

yep, chicken is the hardest thing to get any taste into. just keep trying and just to let you know, i have the same problem

Back