My Saturday Adventure....

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The day started around 5:30 am and we were at Restaurant Depot by 9 am where we picked up 3 cases of pork butts-- just about 200 pounds. They only had Kingsford, which was kind of a bummer. So, we were on our way to our next stop, another wholesale type supermarket.

We got the butts on ice, picked up 100 pounds of lump, and then headed to Home Depot for a few things, then Sports Authority where we got a new canopy for $70 on sale.

Around 11:30 am, we wolfed down some seriously bad food in the Arby's parking lot and were on our way to visit my folks and load up Large Marge.

We were delayed because my folks needed some help with things so the day slipped on. I got the fire started at 1 pm and then at 2 pm , the wife and my dad ran out to to run errands and I was left to rub and load about 30 butts. The pit was loaded by 2:30 pm and we were off and running.
3cases.jpg

Around 6 pm, we rotated the butts left to right and top to bottom and then we had some dinner.
lobstertaildinner.jpg

The butts started to come off around 2 am, or so, and we were finished with the pulling and bagging and back on the road on our way home by 4:15 am.

Here's pork for 300 at a bleary 4:15 am:
porkfor300.jpg

Looks great my man! Forgive me if it's been discussed recently (I've been out of town a lot lately) but why are you cooking for 300 folks?

Good job.

Thats some serious cook'in! Great job, about how many hours for the butt, what temp?
You need to go take a nap now!

Azinine-- Cooking a political fundraiser next weekend. Was supposed to be 500....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29716

Thanks, Keale...it was around 12 hours for the butts. Cooked between 200 and 250. There was about 50 degrees diff between top and bottom racks and the far end of the pit, away from the firebox was about 30 degrees cooler, but I think it was because I had that side sloped down so I could drain grease when I had to.

Not sure what looks better. The great lookin butts or the lobster tail supper?

Thanks, Pup. My dad picked up the tails at Costco. Plenty of meat and they were tasty. Just a little butter, salt and garlic powder.

The corn was brushed with olive oil and just wrapped and grilled. I love summer corn......

Large Marge ... best name ever.

I was about to chide you for doing the corn over the TEC burner. But it appears that it's no even turned on. Good man.

Just curious, how many gallons of grease do you drain from a cook like this?

And what the heck do you do with it?

I bought one of those Orange Home Depot buckets and filled it about halfway, or so. I opened the drain every so often throughout the cook.

I think it got poured into a sewer grate in the middle of the night when I wasn't looking. :twisted: Of course, we advocate proper waste disposal and would never suggest that anyone do something like that......

Usually I mix it with ash and put the whole mess into the garbage.....

Large Marge ... best name ever.

I was about to chide you for doing the corn over the TEC burner. But it appears that it's no even turned on. Good man.

Thanks, Adam.....I've learned alot about grilling from you......We did have the Infrared off....Sometimes we turn it and the rotisserie burner on to help get the grill hot and then turn of the infrared and the rotisserie. We did a Rib Roast that way last night.....

Back