MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

Default Chicken Involtini

I have grilled Chicken Involtini (Weber's Way To Grill version) several times before, and it is always a hit. It was posted here once before as well (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77430).

I'm trying to take it to the next level; was thinking about brining the chicken first (after pounding to a thin cutlet, I suspect this will be a very short, <1 hour brine). I usually grill the rolls over medium direct heat. Any thoughts on whether I should do it low and slow over some smoke? 225F, cherry?

Also, in prior attempts, I've thrown some extra provolone on top of the rolls (AFTER removing the twine this time), but had to move it to a broiler to brown the cheese - any thoughts on a better way to do it?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

And any thoughts on using ground chicken instead of breasts? Should keep the cheese inside a little better, just not sure if it will dry out.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Are you restricted to breast meat?

Chicken thighs work great for grinding.

You could melt the cheese in the smoker, but to brown it you may want to consider using a propane torch.

Just some thoughts for you . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

No particular reason for breast meat vs. thighs, although I suppose that means I'll need a grinder....

Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Or you could check with your local full service grocery store to see if someone in the meat department could grind some chicken thigh for you.

But if you have one of those KitchenAid mixers that a lot of people have, the grinder attachment is available at Amazon:

http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

The authentic involtini that I've had in the past have been stuffed with a chicken liver mousse. Absolutely out of this world. If you want the next level, there you go.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
Or you could check with your local full service grocery store to see if someone in the meat department could grind some chicken thigh for you.

But if you have one of those KitchenAid mixers that a lot of people have, the grinder attachment is available at Amazon:

Amazon.com: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers: Home & Kitchen
I didn't even know that accessory existed for my Kitchenaid! Thanks QansasjayhawQ!

Thanks from:--->