MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Picking Up Two Live 90lb Pig/Boar Breed Mix

Well guys, I was cruising Craigslist and came across a guy giving away two pigs that were crossed with a wild boar and each weighs around 90 pounds and is ready to slaughter! I am probably going to dispatch them there and go ahead and stick them that way they will bleed out and not get it all in the back of my Jeep. Gonna get them home then and dress them out whole and figure out what to do with meat and carcass at that point. Gotta see how much fat is on the animals before I go past that point. I planned on doing one of them whole and the other separating into smaller cuts, i.e. ribs, butts, etc and freezing those for later.

My question is, has anyone ever had any experience cooking a smaller pig whole on any of the their equipment? I am almost at a loss on how to cook these things since all I have is a Weber Performer, a Weber Gasser, a Mini WSM, and a Brinkmann electric, but when I saw that two whole pigs and all their meat was being given away for absolutely free I had to jump. It's just too exciting cooking a whole animal to pass up. That said though, need be I can process them both and freeze the one whole and figure out how to physically get the things to smoke later. I think I might try to build a block fire pit since we have those already and try to rent a spit from somewhere in Alabama. Anyone know of a company in northern Alabama that rents those? I've read online about people renting them but haven't really been able to find ANYTHING close to me.

Any help would be great! Gonna be some damn good eating I have a feeling, but being the one to end an animals life really brings the food scene full circle and makes you appreciate the life the animal gives to sustain us.

Here's a picture of one of the guys -

Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

You really don't need a spit. Get on cowgirls blog (she's a member here) and see how she does it. Simple and effective.

Good Luck!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

That looks great from what I saw on her website. I am 90% sure that we already have everything for a simple cinder block pit like that. I see she skinned her pig, which I might do to save the hassle of scalding and scraping/shaving a whole hog.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Skinning is way easier than scalding and scrapping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, it just makes me sick to think that I am losing all that skin that could crisp up and be oh so good. I know that I am going to skin the one that I break down, but the whole one I am still debating. I guess it depends on when I get the thing home and see what the whole situation is playing out like.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Nice score.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Ron, hopefully I can get this all done without too much hassle. I may just end up taking the damn things to a processor to be broke down.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Wow. Take lots of pics!!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Will do! Gonna be my first time handling a carcass alone without the help of my father, but I am 90% sure I can handle it. Done a dozen deer alone before, so this shouldn't be any harder. Cooking it is what I'm most nervous about!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Skinning is the easiest way. Sometimes the hide won't come off as easy as a deer but if you get into a bind, you can use a sharp knife or box cutter and cut 2" or 3" "strips"...then pull the strips off with a pair of pliers.

A few people have picked up pigs here and butchered them before leaving. Some like to lay the pig on a bed of straw... light the straw on fire. When the straw has finished burning, they scrape the hair and the outer layer of skin from the pig, then open and "gut" the animal.

I've used a blow torch to remove the hair and outer layer of skin. Works ok too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=73481

When I can't find help or want to scald a small one.. I heat a pot of water to 165F, lay cheesecloth over a section of the pig, ladle hot water onto the cloth and let it sit for a few minutes, then remove the cloth and scrape the hair.
Then move the cloth to another section and repeat until the whole pig is clean.

I use the front end loader on my little tractor to move the pig around. Really helps!!

The block pit is easy to use and works well. Good luck with what ever you do!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

cowgirl thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you notice any ill effects from torching the skin instead of scraping? I heard from somewhere that it leaves the follicles in the skin and they would end up being almost as bad as full sized hair in the skin at the end of a roast. I really don't know if that is true and if isn't and hasn't turned out that way in your roasts, I am totally going to do it that way. I planned on buying one of the long propane torches anyways for lighting my smokers, so I hope that it will work and I can keep all that skin. So much good food there no doubt!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

rcbaughn in case you did not know, you can use a sawzall to rip the hogs down the back quickly. Just pop in a course blade.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #13
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Never ever though about that. Probably be a great way to get the front split too and seperate the spares from the baby backs and such. I have a bandsaw but it's in the woodshop and is pretty damn dirty.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondini View Post
rcbaughn in case you did not know, you can use a sawzall to rip the hogs down the back quickly. st pop in a course blade.
This works fantastic, we just processed 10 hogs a couple of weeks ago and all of the sawing was done with a sawzall. Even after getting them into the garage we used the sawzall to cut off the ham and ribs, much easier and quicker than a hand meat saw.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
cowgirl thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you notice any ill effects from torching the skin instead of scraping? I heard from somewhere that it leaves the follicles in the skin and they would end up being almost as bad as full sized hair in the skin at the end of a roast. I really don't know if that is true and if isn't and hasn't turned out that way in your roasts, I am totally going to do it that way. I planned on buying one of the long propane torches anyways for lighting my smokers, so I hope that it will work and I can keep all that skin. So much good food there no doubt!
Scalding is the best way to remove the hair. When burning, I try to take off skin too to get rid of as much hair as possible.
You might give it a try and if it's not working out for you, go ahead and skin the pig. They aren't as pretty "presentation" wise but are so much easier to mess with, especially when working alone!

Good luck to you with what ever you do!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote