MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Default Does your butt lack flavor with rub?

I have a marinade I use on my pork butts and the flavor penetrates the whole butt. I marinate it for 2 days before I smoke it.

When I use a rub, I dont get the flavor throughout the whole butt. I rub it down and let it sit over night and the rub liquefies, but it doesnt get the same results of the marinade.

I usually smoke my butts for 6 hours then wrap them till done.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

I've never marinaded a pork shoulder/butt. I generally inject them with apple cider and apple cider vinegar, with some of my rub mixed in. I then rub it.

I usually cook shoulders at 250F, an 8 pound shoulder taking about 9 hours.

If I do it right, they come out juicy, tender and smokey, with a clean pork taste, which I really like. I want to taste pork, not added flavors.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Salt & smoke 300 deg It don't get no better!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludawg View Post
salt & smoke 300 deg it don't get no better!
how true......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I have zero complaints after using Bad Byron's Butt Rub a numbe of times.

Love the stuff!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

After I pull the pork I just hit it with whatever rub I applied on the outside. Blammo.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
After I pull the pork I just hit it with whatever rub I applied on the outside. Blammo.
Yep. I do that too

Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Cooking one Monday. Any suggestions? I can see everyone has there own way of cooking a butt!!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Will Nick Saban has a rub it will work for you I believe!!!!!!!! You want me to send you some???? Couldn't help it bro you know how those Bama fans are
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

i like to slather mine with mustard and apply a generous amount of rub (mostly use rub from Paul Latham's meat market in Jackson, TN). Smoke it at around 300 until internal temp is around 200.

After pulling i usually pour on a li'l Blues Hog Tennessee Red and maybe sprinkle on a li'l more rub.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
maktek
Found some matches.

I just put 2 shoulders on. I rub with a little oil and use amazing ribs Memphis meathead rub. I usually rub it down the night before and then inject with some cider vinegar and rub before I put it on the smoker. Run it between 275 and 300 for 8 hours or so. Almost always turns out tender and juicy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
maktek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

I inject mine with some apple juice and a little rub and its scrumplicious!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqwilly View Post
When I use a rub, I dont get the flavor throughout the whole butt. I rub it down and let it sit over night and the rub liquefies, but it doesnt get the same results of the marinade.
Yeah, rub makes for some tasty bark, but i can't see how it could penetrate like marinade or injection can. I'm interested to hear more about your marinade though; never marinaded a butt before, but I'd like to try one.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

I brine mine in water, salt, molasses, whole black peppercorns, Sriracha and what ever rub I am going to use on the outside for at least 24 hours.

When I take it out of the brine, I let it air dry for an hour or so. Then I rub it very liberally, and onto a 225-250* F WSM for a few hours with Hickory smoke.

After it is pulled/chopped I sprinkle a little of the rub on the "inside meat" and eat the &%*# out of it.

Lately, I have been using Smokin Guns' Sweet Heat rub and am really growing fond of it.

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

unless you're curing, i don't think a marinade really penetrates that deeply into a large hunk of meat. further than a rub, yes, but not all through. that's why i inject.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote