MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #46
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
But again there are other steps that balance it out for a lot of people that do it that way. Clearly I'm not going to change your mind, but if you haven't tried a method you can't form a valid opinion. Even if you have "been around the block".

I think you missed the point I was making as well. Was it too subtle?
I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than was intended. I also think you're assuming I haven't tried these methods and have no idea what taste will result in these methods.

I've added butter, honey and/or brown sugar just like I watched on the travel channel. The ribs turned out too sweet. My taste buds and preference for BBQ aren't on the sweet side. So when I watch someone basically do the same things that I have tried I'm pretty confident I can guess whether it is going to have too much sweetness FOR ME or not. So again, I'm not making some blind, uninformed, uneducated statement when I posted what I posted. I don't think I'm the one missing the point.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #47
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
In your example no. Because I cannot see the amounts. But when I sit and watch someone cake pure brown sugar, squeeze half a cup of butter and honey onto a slab of ribs. Considering the amounts I just watched being put on there I promise you I can get an idea of its sweetness. It doesn't make me a guru. I've just messed around with rubs and different amounts of sugar, honey, and other spices to know what certain amounts of seasonings do to meat.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #48
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I think you hit a nerve BB. The comp guys are coming out to QT, but don't try to go into the comp forum.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #49
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I think you hit a nerve BB. The comp guys are coming out to QT, but don't try to go into the comp forum.
Obviously so. I guess a little ole back yarder like myself isn't qualified to make assessments on what I see with my own eyes.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #50
deguerre

Obviously you don't know a thing about sauce either.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #51
Jason TQ

Quote:
Hehe. Awesome. Always interesting to see when this card gets pulled out of the deck by someone.

It's not a comp/backyard thing. Just a don't knock it till you tried it thing. It is comments like "The comp guys are coming out to QT, but don't try to go into the comp forum" that are intended to stir up the pot and further extend that lame stereotype that for some reason exists on this forum.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #52
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Obviously you don't know a thing about sauce either.
LOL! You ain't right.

No I don't know a thing about barbecue sauce. The irony was he used a bbq sauce example to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #53
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I tried making some ribs with all that honey and sugar, and they just didn't taste right. KC masterpiece alone is too sweet for me, and sweet baby ray's (less sweet than KC) almost is as well.
My comp ribs are not as sweet as SBR and we are always top ten in ribs, except the time I burned them.

Cook it your way, let the judges decide.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #54
Jason TQ

Quote:
LOL! You ain't right.

No I don't know a thing about barbecue sauce. The irony was he used a bbq sauce example to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.
No the irony is I know you make sauce and took that example directly from your ingredients on your site, but you didn't realize it was your sauce and description. That is ironic . I was trying to be subtle. Maybe too subtle......

Are we to continue this silly dance??

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #55
deguerre

Quote:
LOL! You ain't right.

I've been accused of many things in my life. "Right" has never been one of them, though...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #56
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

Quote:
I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.
What I love about BBQ, everyone has an opinion and everyone has a mouth

Never say never

Let's all love it together
Thermapen- [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
BBQ Team - Cool Blue Q
Grill - Weber SUMMIT E-670
KCBS member and CBJ
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #57
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
No the irony is I know you make sauce and took that example directly from your ingredients on your site, but you didn't realize it was your sauce and description. That is ironic . I was trying to be subtle. Maybe too subtle......

Are we to continue this dance??
Again, just listing ingredients without amounts is a bad example. But when I physically see the amounts I think I can make a pretty good assumption on if it's going to be sweet or not.

Having the words Sugar, molasses, etc. on a label is much different than actually seeing someone pile sugar, honey and butter on a slab of ribs. Not sure how you can't see the difference. One you have no idea the amounts relative to the entire product and the other you physically see it with your own eyes.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #58
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Look at it this way. Backyard folks are the judges. Heck, little granddaughter Mary Sue is the judge. The only difference is that your not trying to impress everyone with Wizz-Bang BBQ, you just want it to be good and see everyone Happy.

If your doing Comps, the Judge is the one to impress. The real deal is to follow the $$$$. The Comp folks put their blood, sweat and sauce into this gig because they have so much invested in it. It's got to be disappointing as hell to loose after traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles only to loose by a few points. I respect their passion.

I hope they also respect the Backyard BBQ'er.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #59
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettBBQ View Post
What I love about BBQ, everyone has an opinion and everyone has a mouth

Never say never

Let's all love it together
And the good thing about bbq is we can all have our own preferences and it not be "wrong". I'm not saying what I saw was "wrong", but simply not for me.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #60
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Look at it this way. Backyard folks are the judges. Heck, little granddaughter Mary Sue is the judge. The only difference is that your not trying to impress everyone with Wizz-Bang BBQ, you just want it to be good and see everyone Happy.

If your doing Comps, the Judge is the one to impress. The real deal is to follow the $$$$. The Comp folks put their blood, sweat and sauce into this gig because they have so much invested in it. It's got to be disappointing as hell to loose after traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles only to loose by a few points. I respect their passion.

I hope they also respect the Backyard BBQ'er.
Agreed. I have the utmost respect for those who do the competition circuit. With so many contestants "keeping it simple" more than likely is not an option in order to make your Q standout. Also trying to figure out what the judges are looking for is probably an entire animal in itself.

My business partner and I thought about doing some comps but decided it wasn't for us. Time, money and raising kids helped us make that decision. Maybe one day we'll be able to.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit