• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NEW Stubbs Hardwood Lump Charcoal

AustinKnight

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was at Costco's today getting some ribs an chicks for a comp cook going on here in Austin Saturday and I saw it hidden by the food service wrap and foil, has anyone used this? I would've grabbed a bag #34 for 16 bucks but I don't think I should be trying a new fuel source going into a comp. It said it was packaged in the USA and mixed woods from mexico, makes me think it's mostly mesquite here some pics.
20130205_130535.jpg

20130205_130417.jpg

20130205_130359.jpg

This bag was already open.
20130205_130616.jpg

I'm interested to see if anybody has used this lump and how well it works.

The Stubbs regular charcoal seems to throw a lot of sparks. Curious to see if this is the same.

I don't know how good it could be. I am a little worried to try it though. Here is why.

Stubbs regular briquettes are marketed by duraflame which is the same company that markets Cowboy Lump which the general agreement among most is that cowboy lump sucks.

I love Stubbs briquettes and hope the lump will be better than Cowboy.

Edit: I just checked duraflame's webpage and they do not have the Stubb's lump listed as a public product. So this may be a Costco only product or they have yet to update the webpage.

If it's from Mexico, I bet there's some Mex. mesquite in there. Only way is to try it out and see how you like it.

duraflame briquettes are great. the lump not so good. but i think they might have
read the writing on the wall and decided to put some good stuff out there.
as many suggest, you won't know what its like until you try it.

Now I know its a huge deal what kind of wood you use when smoking, be it chunks or splits, but does it really make a difference the type of wood thats used once its turned into charcoal?

Now I know its a huge deal what kind of wood you use when smoking, be it chunks or splits, but does it really make a difference the type of wood thats used once its turned into charcoal?

There is a difference in lump, oak burns hot and long while mesquite burns hot and fast. Both oak and mesquite lump taste like the original hard wood they originally were. So if you don't like mesquite splits or chucks your not going to like it in lump. I prefer oak lump for these reasons, I don't even use wood chunks most the time just lump.

200 views:tsk: and none of you farkers have used this chit? :tsk:

I'm hoping that Costco in Houston has some. I'll give it a whirl if I can find it. I liked their briqs, but they haven't gone on sale in a while ( I still have some hoarded away form the last Lowe's sale in 2011).

Back