Big Poppa Drum at Comps

Little Pig Barbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know I've seen tons of Gateways used in competition BBQ. Anybody use the big poppa drum at comps? I know I would feel much better hauling a cheap drum around on a trailer instead of an $$$ drum.

If anyone uses one, how do they do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I know I've seen tons of Gateways used in competition BBQ. Anybody use the big poppa drum at comps? I know I would feel much better hauling a cheap drum around on a trailer instead of an $$$ drum.

If anyone uses one, how do they do?

I cant speak for competitions but I have a BPS drum kit (I used my own drum) and I love it. I think the riser intakes like on the Gateway are cool looking but the slide vents on my BPS are very efficient. I've held 225 degrees for 6-7hrs without any adjustment. I'm comfortable enough to leave it alone for hours at a time and it turns out great Q. Also, If I were to buy a high dollar UDS it would be Big Poppas stainless drum.

I cant speak for competitions but I have a BPS drum kit (I used my own drum) and I love it. I think the riser intakes like on the Gateway are cool looking but the slide vents on my BPS are very efficient. I've held 225 degrees for 6-7hrs without any adjustment. I'm comfortable enough to leave it alone for hours at a time and it turns out great Q. Also, If I were to buy a high dollar UDS it would be Big Poppas stainless drum.
I've seen the stainless steel version. It looks pretty awesome. The gateways do look pretty cool, but for the money I would be afraid to haul it around and get it scratched and dented up.

Tons of Guys Compete with DIY drum smokers. I don’t do comps but have seen many in videos.

The Big Poppa kit looks nice and is super cheap. I'd love to have a gateway, but if they cook the same....

I’ve never seen one at a comp but no reason you couldn’t use one.

I use my UDS at comps and at my last one, it held temps better than my Trail Embers (similar to the 22" WSM). It may not be as pretty as a Gateway or Hunsaker, but if it performs as well as one, I will pocket the cost difference.

Mod Note:

Move to the competition section of the forum since this is a competition-specific question.

I've seen one BPS drum here in the south at comps. Should work fine if you practice on it

I don't know that I have seen many BPS drums specifically. But plenty of homemade cans. We pulled out a 2nd in chicken (and RGC) at the AR Open with a homemade drum. It can be done. Have since added 2 Gateways. They don't get that beat up and I don't treat them like a Cadillac either. Just tie-down well in transport.

I don't worry about scratching and banging up my gateway drums. I don't care how pretty they look as long as they do what they are supposed to do.

I built a UDS for $60 entered 2 contests walked in 2 contests.
Ed

Hunsaker in my opinion is the best option for a UDS. I know many competitors who use them and walk. The vortex plate is awesome. I rarely see BPS drums anymore at comps.

I do like the vortex deflector in the hunsaker. I wonder if that can be used with the big poppa fire basket?

Back