MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Should Team of The Year be based on:
A Teams Top 5 scores. 27 61.36%
A Teams Top 10 Scores. 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Team of the year *Poll*

The forumula for KCBS TOY was changed last year to include teams top 10 scores.

From what I was able to see, only 1% of the teams cooked 10 or more contests.

Only 1% qualified?! (Someone correct me if im wrong).

So, just out of curiosity to see what the pulse is.....

Should the team of the year point calculations be brought back down to include only the top 5 contests instead of 10?

Poll to follow.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

1%??? Holy cow that's small. But for this purpose, I think it's also important to factor in how many teams that only enter 1 competition a year. Subtracting teams that only did 1 comp, what percent of teams did over 10 comps?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

Only 1% qualified?! (Someone correct me if im wrong).
You can qualify with only 1 score... in order to be competitive, you need 10.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
You can qualify with only 1 score... in order to be competitive, you need 10.
yup. true..

KCbbby.. theres no way of knowing how many contests a team cooked based on the scores.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I don't see how a team could lay claim to the KCBS Team of The Year if they only cooked 5 comps. There are just too many teams, too many contests in too many regions of the U.S. Under the current rules if they only counted the top 5 scores it would be a muddled mess at the top and would still benefit those teams that cook 20 or more contests a year. Everyone would be screaming that they are number 1. Again if they want to include the little guy in this, perhaps divisions are in order. I'm just not sure at what level you would make the break. 5, 10, 15, or 20. It's an interesting stat that less than 50 teams cook more than 10 contests. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of those 40 teams and see how many contests those teams cook. That might help to come up with a divisional system to see where that break might be. My gut feeling is telling me that there are many in the top 40 that are cooking much more than 10 and probably more than 20.

How about a $250,000 Invitational Contest or Tournament to determine the KCBS World Champion and Team of The Year?
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I understand why they want 10. A team that cooks a lot of contests and gets maybe 6 GC's would only count 5. A team with 4 GC's and 5 RC's would certainly not do as well as somebody with 5 GC's and no RC's assuming the same number of participants at each contest. What team is the better cook? Personally I think the one with 5 and 4.

BUT as a cook that probably won't do 10 I like 5. I know I would have been better than the top 200 (overall, chicken, ribs and just missed in pork and brisket) if we only counted 5. How about publish the scores based on 5 and 10. If you did less than 10 contests in a year you could compete agianst the teams that do less than 10 for the amateur TOY. More than 10 and you're in the pro division.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Why not move it back to 5 and then take the top 50, score them at 0 again and have a cookoff to determine who is #1?
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I say 7 1/2.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I say 7 1/2.
I still don't qualify. Only did 4 1/2. What about just one? Teams have to pick a contest at the beginning of the year and that score is the only one that counts, good or bad.

Personally, I feel I'm only as good as my last score. Could I do 15-20 contests and come up with 10 really solid ones? Probably. But time and money will never permit that so let the big dogs duke it out for bragging rights.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post
I don't see how a team could lay claim to the KCBS Team of The Year if they only cooked 5 comps. There are just too many teams, too many contests in too many regions of the U.S. Under the current rules if they only counted the top 5 scores it would be a muddled mess at the top and would still benefit those teams that cook 20 or more contests a year. Everyone would be screaming that they are number 1. Again if they want to include the little guy in this, perhaps divisions are in order. I'm just not sure at what level you would make the break. 5, 10, 15, or 20. It's an interesting stat that less than 50 teams cook more than 10 contests. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of those 40 teams and see how many contests those teams cook. That might help to come up with a divisional system to see where that break might be. My gut feeling is telling me that there are many in the top 40 that are cooking much more than 10 and probably more than 20.

How about a $250,000 Invitational Contest or Tournament to determine the KCBS World Champion and Team of The Year?

Prior to this year.. it was based on 5 contests so teams did claim the honor with only 5.

I think the BOD pulled the # 10 out of a hat or something. Not based on any substantial analysis based on the few responses I received from the BOD at the beginning of the year. Two BOD members were not even aware their was a change made...

I don't think divisions are the answer..

At the end of the day, the members who compete 1 time and the members who compete 20+ times, all pay the same annual dues so if the overwhelming majority compete less than 5, then it only seems reasonable to go much closer to where the avg. member is. If a minority of teams chose to compete 10-30 times a year, that is their perogative and they get a better chance of increasing their top 5 placings.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can understand both sides, so that makes me think the answer is in the middle. I think using the average number of comps per team is the fairest. This way those who compete less than average are not on par with those who compete above average. And those who compete a lot more get an advantage of potentially having more high scores to choose from.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
Why not move it back to 5 and then take the top 50, score them at 0 again and have a cookoff to determine who is #1?
Only if you're the one organizing the contest, amigo!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post

Bring it...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I say give it to the guy with the most reserve grands under no less than 3 team names :)