Blues Hog BBQ Sauce

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My short review:

Very sweet and rich reminds me a little of Mista's sauce, but thicker. I can see why this stuff is good for KCBS Comps. I am not sure I would use it as my go to sauce at home, but I give it a 8 out of 10, YMMV. I still have never tasted a 10 in anything BBQ related and I probably never will because it would end my search for the "Holy Grail" :biggrin:

Anywho, I want to thank Ashmont for turning me on to this stuff. Here is the box I got from Bill's auction.

K-1form072.jpg

K-1form073.jpg

K-1form074.jpg

Any one else care to comment on this sauce; I am listening!

Try their Tennessee Red with pulled pork. Ummmm!! Brian

Took the words right outta my mouth. I dont care for their regular sauce, but the Tennessee Red goes on my pulled pork every time.

Took the words right outta my mouth. I dont care for their regular sauce, but the Tennessee Red goes on my pulled pork every time.

I used red sauce in comps. I never did very good with it. We did cook against their team earlier in the year and beat them in three of the four. May not be the sauces fault. I have never tried the regular sauce. Has anyone used it in a comp?

I've heard alot about it but haven't seen it here in Colorado, maybe I'll get lucky and get it in a sauce trade sometime :-D

Love the stuff. A totally different zing to it.
The Tennessee Red is great on pulled pork as a couple other guys mentioned. I use it sorta like Italian dressing on a tossed salad. Pull a good amount of pork then put some red on it and mix it in. Then use the regular sauce to dip in. Their Honey Mustard is good on ribs as is the regular sauce. Got some Raspberry Chipolette on order.

And for Bossman just go online to Blueshog.com and order some.

This is gonna sound strange but as a snack take a little red and a little regular and mix it. Dunk fritos in it. Oh MY! We accidently discovered this at a comp earlier this year. Very YUMMY!

I have mixed it with some other commerical sauces and like it a lot but it is pretty good by itself. I just got some red in last week but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

You've got to try their Honey - Mustard Sauce on any type of pork :-D. This stuff is great !

man I gotta get some. Gonna send wife on hunting trip when she is in Oklahoma next week. Will put Head Country on shopping list also.

I like the Tennesse Red much better than the original. I glaze my ribs and chicken with it as well as use it on pulled pork.
Norco, can you not find head country at walmart? It's sold at all the grocery stores here in texas pretty much usually with the kraft and KC masterpiece.

I like the Tennesse Red much better than the original. I glaze my ribs and chicken with it as well as use it on pulled pork.
Norco, can you not find head country at walmart? It's sold at all the grocery stores here in texas pretty much usually with the kraft and KC masterpiece.
Walmarts out here seldom have or limited grocery section. Mostly lunch/snack/food stamp stuff.

Not a big fan of their sauces across the board. Tasted all of them at the Royal last year during a sauce tasting and have found better.

Having said that, many CBJ's comment on how much they like the sauce and mark up accordingly :twisted:. As I am seeing this becoming the standard sauce on the circuit, I truely start at a 6 when I taste it and try to find some part of the meat without the sauce to hopefully judge up.

I like it - but it seems people are hot and cold on this.

I want to try his new Chipolte rasberry!

Try their Tennessee Red with pulled pork. Ummmm!! Brian
I agree the Ten Red is good, but I found that after a couple of times trying on pulled pork that it was leaving an after taste. Has anybody else found this or maybe it just didnt compliment my rub very well.

What would you consider better?
---------------------------------------
Way tooooo personal preference stuff, but I favor all of Jay's (Spicewine) BBQ Sauces if I have to pick just one. Having said that ... I also prefer the Blues Hog Tennessee Red and hope to try the Mustard sauce soon. 8)

I tried some on some BBs last night after the finger test which I gave it an 8/10.

I ate a half slab of BBs with this stuff painted on and it was too much. Candy on a bone mod. I think it is great as a comp sauce though for that one bite judging!

Back