MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #3871
loracle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Anybody know if that place in Riverside, CA still sells 55 gallon drums or is still in business? I tried their number and its been disconnected. Thanks.
loracle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #3872
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Did my first cook today .....turned out well. Just the finished product had a hint of a bitter, almost metallic after taste..Anybody got any ideas?...Could it be the drum?...not seasoned properly or something....It was originally burned with pretty hot three hour burns....Then cleaned out with a wire wheel...wiped out...coated with veg. oil and burned for about 8 - 10 hours for seasoning at about 280...All hardware is stainless or black pipe...And the expanded metal is just raw steel.

firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #3873
MadKirk
Knows what a fatty is.

I may have missed it somewhere, jack, but what was in your drum before clean-out?
MadKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #3874
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loracle View Post
Anybody know if that place in Riverside, CA still sells 55 gallon drums or is still in business? I tried their number and its been disconnected. Thanks.
I tried to get ahold of them the other day. Same thing. I bit the bullet and bought a new, unlined 30 gallon with removable lid and lever lock clamp band. Picked it up today from McMaster Carr. Some new member from Oceanside I think picked up some drums in LA area for a good price recently.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #3875
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach-engineer View Post
First post here, I've been reading this site non-stop for the past 2 days! I haven't gotten a thing done at work! My brother & I are going to take the plunge into making a couple of UDS for us.

Picking up 6 closed top unlined drums from the Craigslist guy out in Ontario tomorrow for $15/ea. He had open top ones, but he said those were lined.

Going to start simple & follow the instructions from this thread & we'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread & on this site! We'll keep you updated on our progress. Wish us Luck!
See!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #3876
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
Did my first cook today .....turned out well. Just the finished product had a hint of a bitter, almost metallic after taste..Anybody got any ideas?...Could it be the drum?...not seasoned properly or something....It was originally burned with pretty hot three hour burns....Then cleaned out with a wire wheel...wiped out...coated with veg. oil and burned for about 8 - 10 hours for seasoning at about 280...All hardware is stainless or black pipe...And the expanded metal is just raw steel.
Take the crocs off and the taste will be better . It is probably something in the rub. What was in the rub?

BTW...All the food looks great.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #3877
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Paprika
brown sugar
coarse salt
coarse black pepper
garlic powder
onoin powder
celery seed
cayenne pepper

Nver really noticed the bitterness before.

Firecrackerjack
Dpp 60...Still got it.
Chargriller pro....Gonna replace the coal trays and grates and use her for grillin.
And a new built UDS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Take the crocs off and the taste will be better . It is probably something in the rub. What was in the rub?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3878
JP
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

What kind of fuel did you use? Did you use lump? When I hear bitter I always think of my first smoke days when I'd strictly use wood and burn it too low of temp.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #3879
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Just another dumb question...what are the "crocs"?

Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #3880
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
Just another dumb question...what are the "crocs"?
Those things on your feet. http://www.crocs.com/

You don't have any funny seasonings in your rub that I would recognize as causing a bad taste reaction. From what the others have posted in both the threads it sounds like you have a problem with the amount of smoke. I have never had that problem, so I can't be of help there.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3881
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, I get ya...I didn't see the wife's foot in the photo...

Quote:
Those things on your feet. http://www.crocs.com/

You don't have any funny seasonings in your rub that I would recognize as causing a bad taste reaction. From what the others have posted in both the threads it sounds like you have a problem with the amount of smoke. I have never had that problem, so I can't be of help there.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #3882
Coach_Mac
Knows what a fatty is.

Where are all of you getting your lids? I want to make another UDS and use a grill lid. Are they just lids you already have?
Coach_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #3883
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Thankfully a member of the brethren, helped me out and found some used webbers on craiglist in my local neighborhood...I tried doing the craiglist search and came up empty(my lack of computin' skills)...But anyways I had scored one the next day...bought the whole grill for about 25$...

firectackerjack

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #3884
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
I don't know about he place in Riverside, but I can usually score a few freebies in Newport Beach if you're interested. They are the fixed lid type though.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #3885
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

I purchased my drum from a company that reconditions them....I told them the intended use(for a smoker). and they said it would be alright for that use...After I got it home I started to get a little parinoid about using it. I called them back just to be sure. They asked for the code # on the bill of sale and reassured me that there should have been nothing hazardous in the barrel, but once reconditioned there was no way of knowing...They did explain that in the reconditioning process, the drums are put through a blast furnace which heats to an extreme temperature and cooks it back to bare metal...Then they repaint the outside and put a rust preventative on the inside.....I then burned it twice, hot enough to cook the paint off of most of the outside, for about three hours each time..I had flames a foot or so above the top of the barrel..and then did about a 8 - 10 hour seasoning burn at about 280 - 300* with coal....

I'm hoping It'll be alright???? Any comments???

firecrackerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKirk View Post
I may have missed it somewhere, jack, but what was in your drum before clean-out?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker