MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

WSM may seem more expensive, but it is a lifetime investment. The finish on them makes it so they never rust out, except maybe the grates if not cared for. good temperature control and great capacity, the 22.5" is hard to fill unless you are cooking for a really large group.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Both. I'd order a Masterbuilt AND Build an UDS. WSMs are GREAT but the 22" is $399 --not that it ain't worth it but you could order the Original style Masterbuilt AND build a UDS for $399. I have a UDS and Masterbuilt.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=172102
x2 I bought a masterbuilt several years ago and while it is limited I turned it into an awesome cold smoker for summer sausage ect. I have built 2 uds and they are the bomb.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

WSM. They are great. I have the 18.5", but wish I had the 22.5" so ribs and briskets would fit better.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
ghp4aub
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all confirmed my findings.
ghp4aub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Wsm.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

WEBER!!!

I have the 22.5 WSM and an 18 WSM along with a 22.5 OTG kettle...can never go wrong with anything Weber.
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghp4aub View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm struggling on which smoker to buy. I was leaning towards a Masterbuilt electric smoker, but after doing some research online I'm really liking the Weber smokey mountain.
Been there, done that with 3 Masterbuilt electric smokers.
Go with Weber Smokey Mountain.
Get a BBQ IQ and you will have stable heat.
MB is a bad brand.
Thermapen- [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
BBQ Team - Cool Blue Q
Grill - Weber SUMMIT E-670
KCBS member and CBJ
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #23
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Bradley Smoker.....it was my first dedicated smoker and now is gathering dust. I got the bug and now have 10 cookers including that Bradley as I asked for it and got it as a birthday present. My go-to cookers, my main 4.....are 2 OTG 22.5 Kettles, a Akorn and my 5 week old 22.5 WSM. Cooked one of my best butts yesterday on the WSM....did maybe 10 butts on the Bradley a year and a half ago and comparing the products is a joke. Your Masterbuilt burns chips and that is better than the pucks you gotta buy for the Bradley but chunks are a whole new balegame. At least my Bradley has a nice Jim Beam logo on it I can look at.

Also as stated previously.....buying a Weber is always a good thing.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #24
DaSmokin'Chili
Knows what a fatty is.

WSM, and if your feeling lazy you can also get a pellet pooper for it.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #25
shawnmcchesney12
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Both. I'd order a Masterbuilt AND Build an UDS. WSMs are GREAT but the 22" is $399 --not that it ain't worth it but you could order the Original style Masterbuilt AND build a UDS for $399. I have a UDS and Masterbuilt.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=172102
Very good advice. I have a bradley electric and a uds it is a very good pairing.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

WSM all the way.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #27
lennitt
Full Fledged Farker

i went through the same decision process last June and went with the 18 WSM. Without a doubt it was the right move,at least for me. The only regret was not getting the 22...
lennitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

I had a gasser and wanted a smoker. I am not mechanically inclined enough to build my own. I made a lot of ash trays in shop classes.

I looked at all types of smokers to buy and finally settled on the 22.5 WSM. After a few mods on it to create a fire basket / grate stand, I can use it to cook anything from seared steaks to smoked briskets / butts / ribs.

Very happy with my purchase, but my gasser is getting a little lonely. Only fire her up to light my charcoal...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

WSM for sure.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #30
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

WSM with a BBQ IQ 110....all the flavor with a set it and forget it.